Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Experimental proof of the feasibility of using an angled fiber-optic probe for depth-sensitive fluorescence spectroscopy of turbid mediaQuan Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Opt Lett 29:2034-6. 2004..Monte Carlo simulations of a theoretical model of the phantoms demonstrate that increasing the illumination angle results in an increased excitation photon density and, thus, in increased fluorescence generated in the top layer...
- Effect of fiber optic probe geometry on depth-resolved fluorescence measurements from epithelial tissues: a Monte Carlo simulationChangfang Zhu
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biomed Opt 8:237-47. 2003..The simulation results are used to design a simple fiber optic probe that combines both the VA and MD geometries to enable fluorescence measurements from the different sublayers within human epithelial tissues...
- Scaling method for fast Monte Carlo simulation of diffuse reflectance spectra from multilayered turbid mediaQuan Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, 136 Hudson Hall, Box 90281, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0281, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 24:1011-25. 2007..3 to 1.4, the RMSE was less than 10%. The scaling method can reduce computation time by more than 2 orders of magnitude compared with independent Monte Carlo simulations...
- Sequential estimation of optical properties of a two-layered epithelial tissue model from depth-resolved ultraviolet-visible diffuse reflectance spectraQuan Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0281, USA
Appl Opt 45:4776-90. 2006..The application of a variance reduction technique to the Monte Carlo modeling proved to be effective in improving the accuracy with which the optical properties are estimated...
- Investigation of fiber-optic probe designs for optical spectroscopic diagnosis of epithelial pre-cancersMelissa C Skala
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1550 Engineering Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Lasers Surg Med 34:25-38. 2004..The second objective was to design a novel, angled illumination fiber-optic probe to maximally exploit the depth-dependent fluorescence properties of epithelial tissues...
- Modeling of nonphase mechanisms in ultrasonic modulation of light propagationQuan Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Room 136, Hudson Hall, Box 90281, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0281, USA
Appl Opt 47:3619-30. 2008..Furthermore it is found that the modulation depth in reflectance due to the exit location variation is larger than that in transmittance for small source-detector separations...
- Experimental validation of Monte Carlo modeling of fluorescence in tissues in the UV-visible spectrumQuan Liu
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biomed Opt 8:223-36. 2003..The fiber optic probe geometries that are modeled in this study include those commonly used for measuring fluorescence from tissues in practice...