Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- The Association Between Sensemaking During Physician Team Rounds and Hospitalized Patients' OutcomesLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, 7400 Merton Minter, San Antonio, TX, 78229, USA
J Gen Intern Med 30:1821-7. 2015..It is recognized as a means to achieve high reliability. We sought to assess sensemaking in daily patient care through examining how inpatient teams round and discuss patients...
- Improving outcomes of hospitalized patients: the Physician Relationships, Improvising, and Sensemaking intervention protocolLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Texas, USA
Implement Sci 9:171. 2014..We are currently studying the impact of PRISm on adverse events and complications in hospitalized patients. This manuscript describes the PRISm intervention...
- Manifestations and implications of uncertainty for improving healthcare systems: an analysis of observational and interventional studies grounded in complexity scienceLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, USA
Implement Sci 9:165. 2014..We sought to better understand and explain these inconsistencies by analyzing our findings across studies and building new theory...
- A randomized trial of practice facilitation to improve the delivery of chronic illness care in primary care: initial and sustained effectsMichael L Parchman
MacColl Center for Healthcare Innovation, Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave Suite 1600, Seattle, WA, USA
Implement Sci 8:93. 2013..The purpose of this group-randomized trial is to assess PF as an intervention to improve the delivery of chronic illness care in primary care...
- Use and satisfaction with key functions of a common commercial electronic health record: a survey of primary care providersAnil N Makam
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 13:86. 2013..Despite considerable financial incentives for adoption, there is little evidence available about providers' use and satisfaction with key functions of electronic health records (EHRs) that meet "meaningful use" criteria...
- Alignment of patient and primary care practice member perspectives of chronic illness care: a cross-sectional analysisPolly H Noel
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, 7400 Merton Minter Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
BMC Fam Pract 15:57. 2014..We examined the extent to which practice members' perceptions of how well they organized to deliver care consistent with the CCM were associated with their patients' perceptions of the chronic illness care they have received...
- Organizational interventions employing principles of complexity science have improved outcomes for patients with Type II diabetesLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio TX, 78229, USA
Implement Sci 2:28. 2007....
- Implementation research design: integrating participatory action research into randomized controlled trialsLuci K Leykum
VERDICT, a VA HSR and D REAP at the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Implement Sci 4:69. 2009..The purpose of this paper is to explore the integration of participatory action research and randomized controlled trial (RCT) study designs to suggest a new approach for studying interventions in healthcare settings...
- Cost utility of substituting enoxaparin for unfractionated heparin for prophylaxis of venous thrombosis in the hospitalized medical patientLuci Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Hosp Med 1:168-76. 2006..However, choosing enoxaparin may have greater cost utility when the outcomes of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis (HITT) are considered...
- Tried and true: a survey of successfully promoted academic hospitalistsLuci K Leykum
Department of Medicine, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Hosp Med 6:411-5. 2011..Because of these differences, there is concern about how academic hospitalists may fare in the promotions process...
- Reciprocal learning and chronic care model implementation in primary care: results from a new scale of learning in primary careLuci K Leykum
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 11:44. 2011....
- The importance of organizational characteristics for improving outcomes in patients with chronic disease: a systematic review of congestive heart failureLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System and Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio TX, 78229, USA
Implement Sci 5:66. 2010....
- Implementation of a hospitalist-run observation unit and impact on length of stay (LOS): a brief reportLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Medicine, Division of Hospital Medicine, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, Room 5 070R Dental, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Hosp Med 5:E2-5. 2010..While the impact of hospitalists on length of stay (LOS) for inpatient medicine services has been studied, there has been little work on the impact of hospitalist involvement in short-stay or observation units...
- Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma among veterans with hepatitis C on disease stage, treatment received, and survivalLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:508-12. 2007..The purpose of this study was to examine the determinants of screening, as well as the impact of screening on disease stage, treatment received, and survival in a US veteran population...
- Survey of overnight academic hospitalist supervision of traineesJeanne M Farnan
Department of Medicine, Section of Hospital Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Hosp Med 7:521-3. 2012....
- Implementing quality improvement in small, autonomous primary care practices: implications for the patient-centred medical homeNedal H Arar
Department of Veterans Affairs, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Qual Prim Care 19:289-300. 2011..This study examined practice members' perceptions of the opportunities and challenges associated with implementing changes in their practice...