James S Lewis
Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- Outpatient antibiotic prescribing in the United States: 2000 to 2010Grace C Lee
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
BMC Med 12:96. 2014....
- Rapid emergence of echinocandin resistance in Candida glabrata resulting in clinical and microbiologic failureJames S Lewis
University Health System, Department of Pharmacy, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:4559-61. 2013..Pre- and postresistant isolates were confirmed to be isogenic, and sequencing of hot spots known to confer echinocandin resistance revealed a phenylalanine deletion at codon 659 within FKS2. ..
- Echinocandin activity against Aspergillus spp. and the importance of pharmacodynamicsJames S Lewis
Department of Pharmacy, University Health System, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Med Mycol 47:S376-81. 2009....
- Fungicidal versus Fungistatic: what's in a word?James S Lewis
University Health System, Department of Pharmacy, 4502 Medical Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:927-35. 2008..However, data to support the belief that the preferential use of a 'cidal' agent results in better patient outcomes has been lacking...
- Approaches to serious methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections with decreased susceptibility to vancomycin: clinical significance and options for managementJames S Lewis
Department of Pharmacy, University Health System, San Antonio, Texas 78229 4493, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:568-73. 2007..This review addresses therapeutic approaches to Staphylococcus aureus infections with diminished susceptibility to vancomycin, focusing on recently published data in English language medical literature between June 2006 and July 2007...
- Cost advantage of voriconazole over amphotericin B deoxycholate for primary treatment of invasive aspergillosisJames S Lewis
Department of Pharmacy, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, University Health System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:839-46. 2005....
- Oral and parenteral therapeutic options for outpatient urinary infections caused by enterobacteriaceae producing CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamasesVidhya Prakash
San Antonio Military Medical Center, Infectious Disease Service, San Antonio, Texas 78234, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1278-80. 2009..Approximately 90% were susceptible to fosfomycin and to a combination of cefdinir plus amoxicillin-clavulanate. All were susceptible to ertapenem...
- Voriconazole use and pharmacokinetics in combination with interferon-gamma for refractory cryptococcal meningitis in a patient receiving low-dose ritonavirNatalie E Nierenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Med Mycol 48:532-6. 2010....
- Detection of SHV-type extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in Enterobacter isolatesTrent G Towne
Department of Pharmacy, University Health System, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:298-9. 2010..SHV-12 was produced by 8.7% of isolates. The cefepime-clavulanate combination provided 88% sensitivity and 91% specificity for the detection of SHV-12 ESBL...
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: new bug, old drugsKathryn E Sabol
Infectious Diseases, Parkland Health and Hospital System, Dallas, TX 78229, USA
Ann Pharmacother 40:1125-33. 2006..To discuss community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) infections and evaluate older antibiotics as suitable therapeutic treatment options...
- Development of caspofungin resistance following prolonged therapy for invasive candidiasis secondary to Candida glabrata infectionGeorge R Thompson
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3783-5. 2008..Pre- and posttreatment isolates were confirmed to be isogenic, and sequencing of hot spots known to confer echinocandin resistance revealed an F659V substitution within the FKS2 region of the glucan synthase complex...
- Pharmacology and clinical use of voriconazoleGeorge R Thompson
University of Texas, Health Science Center at San Antonio, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 6:83-94. 2010..and is now indicated as primary therapy in this circumstance. However, it has a broad spectrum of activity against both yeasts and molds and is also a viable treatment option in the treatment of other mycoses...
- Detection of favorable oral cephalosporin-clavulanate interactions by in vitro disk approximation susceptibility testing of extended-spectrum-Beta-lactamase-producing members of the enterobacteriaceaeJennifer D Campbell
South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:1023-6. 2012..This study has shown that disk approximation testing could detect favorable cephalosporin-clavulanate interactions among a group of 101 previously characterized members of the Enterobacteriaceae with CTX-M, SHV, or TEM ESBLs...
- Continuous versus intermittent infusion of oxacillin for treatment of infective endocarditis caused by methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureusDarrel W Hughes
Department of Pharmacy Services, University Health System, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2014-9. 2009..This convenient and pharmacodynamically optimized dosing regimen for oxacillin deserves consideration for patients with IE caused by MSSA...
- Inducible clindamycin resistance in Staphylococci: should clinicians and microbiologists be concerned?James S Lewis
Pharmacy Service, University Health System, Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:280-5. 2005..g., the erythromycin-clindamycin "D-zone" test) can separate strains that have the genetic potential (i.e., the presence of erm genes) to become resistant during therapy from strains that are fully susceptible to clindamycin...
- Treatment of infections caused by resistant Staphylococcus aureusGregory M Anstead
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Methods Mol Biol 391:227-58. 2007..The next goals are to determine the most appropriate indications and cost-effectiveness of each of these drugs in the treatment strategy against S. aureus...
- A reference laboratory experience of clinically achievable voriconazole, posaconazole, and itraconazole concentrations within the bloodstream and cerebral spinal fluidNathan P Wiederhold
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:424-31. 2014..In addition, many levels within the bloodstream for each azole and for voriconazole and posaconazole in the CSF were undetectable or below thresholds associated with efficacy. ..
- Micafungin concentrations from brain tissue and pancreatic pseudocyst fluidAsma Lat
South Texas Veterans Affairs Health Care System, 4502 Medical Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:943-4. 2010....
- Comparison of cefazolin versus oxacillin for treatment of complicated bacteremia caused by methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureusJulius Li
South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, USA The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy, Austin, Texas, USA Pharmacotherapy Education and Research Center, University of Texas Health Sciences Center San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:5117-24. 2014..The higher rates of failure with oxacillin may have been confounded by other patient factors and warrant further investigation...
- Daptomycin-induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia: analysis of the current data and illustrative case reportsJason Phillips
From the Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
Scand J Infect Dis 45:804-8. 2013..We describe 2 cases of daptomycin-associated AEP, compile available data from another 22 published cases, and propose a revised set of diagnostic criteria...
- Failure of clindamycin to eradicate infection with beta-hemolytic streptococci inducibly resistant to clindamycin in an animal model and in human infectionsJames S Lewis
Department of Pharmacy, University Health System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:1327-31. 2014..Routine testing and reporting by clinical laboratories should be encouraged and alternative antimicrobial agents considered when these organisms are encountered in clinical care...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and endocarditis treated with ceftaroline salvage therapyTony T Ho
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:1267-70. 2012..We report a series of six patients in which ceftaroline was utilized as salvage monotherapy in persistent MRSA bacteraemia or endocarditis...
- Current options in antifungal pharmacotherapyJohn Mohr
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Pharmacotherapy 28:614-45. 2008..Several investigational antifungal drugs, as well as nonantifungal drugs, show promise for the management of these infections...
- First report of the emergence of CTX-M-type extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) as the predominant ESBL isolated in a U.S. health care systemJames S Lewis
Department of Pharmacy, University Health System, San Antonio, TX, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4015-21. 2007..In conclusion, CTX-M-type ESBLs are now the most common ESBL type isolated from patients in our health care system and may also be present but unrecognized in other U.S. locales...
- The echinocandin micafungin: a review of the pharmacology, spectrum of activity, clinical efficacy and safetyNathan P Wiederhold
University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy, TX, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1155-66. 2007..In this review, the pharmacology, spectrum of activity, clinical efficacy and safety profile of micafungin are discussed...
- Treatment approaches for community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionsMichael W Ellis
Infectious Disease Service MCHE MDI, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 18:496-501. 2005....
- Severe myopathy and possible hepatotoxicity related to daptomycinKelly Echevarria
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:599-600. 2005
- Emergence of daptomycin resistance in Enterococcus faecium during daptomycin therapyJames S Lewis
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1664-5. 2005
- Failure of cefepime therapy in treatment of Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremiaWonkeun Song
Center for Research in Antiinfectives and Biotechnology, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:4891-4. 2005..The failure was attributed to extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) acquisition by the isolate, possibly during therapy. Problems encountered with ESBL detection in AmpC-producing isolates are discussed...
- Clinical and microbiologic analysis of a hospital's extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing isolates over a 2-year periodDavid S Burgess
College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Pharmacotherapy 23:1232-7. 2003..To evaluate the microbiologic and clinical outcomes of patients with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing isolates over a 2-year period...