Valerie A Lawrence
Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- The importance of organizational characteristics for improving outcomes in patients with chronic disease: a systematic review of congestive heart failureLuci K Leykum
South Texas Veterans Health Care System and Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio TX, 78229, USA
Implement Sci 5:66. 2010....
- Medical complications and outcomes after hip fracture repairValerie A Lawrence
Division of General Medicine, Audie L Murphy Division, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:2053-7. 2002..Most evidence guiding perioperative medical risk management of patients undergoing hip fracture repair focuses on cardiac and thromboembolic risk. Little is known of the relative clinical importance of other complications...
- Strategies to reduce postoperative pulmonary complications after noncardiothoracic surgery: systematic review for the American College of PhysiciansValerie A Lawrence
South Texas Veterans Health Care System and Medicine General Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:596-608. 2006..However, there has been much less research and no previous systematic reviews of the evidence of interventions to prevent pulmonary complications...
- Prediabetes assessment and follow-up in older veterans with schizophreniaLaurel A Copeland
Veterans Affairs HSR and D, Departments of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:887-96. 2010..Assess glycemic monitoring and follow-up...
- Serious mental illnesses associated with receipt of surgery in retrospective analysis of patients in the Veterans Health AdministrationLaurel A Copeland
Veterans Affairs Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Center for Applied Health Research, 2102 Birdcreek Drive, Temple, TX, 76502, USA
BMC Surg 15:74. 2015..VA patients are veterans of United States military service who qualify for federal care by reason of disability, special service experiences, or poverty...
- Mortality after cardiac or vascular operations by preexisting serious mental illness status in the Veterans Health AdministrationLaurel A Copeland
Center for Applied Health Research, Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, with Baylor Scott and White Health, Temple, TX, USA Department of Medicine, Texas A and M Health Science Center, and School of Rural Public Health, Bryan College Station, TX, USA Electronic address
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 36:502-8. 2014..Cardiac/vascular operations were selected because patients with SMI are known to be at elevated risk of cardiovascular disease...
- Postoperative complications in the seriously mentally ill: a systematic review of the literatureLaurel A Copeland
Veterans Affairs HSRD South Texas Veterans Health Care System VERDICT, San Antonio, TX 78229 4404, USA
Ann Surg 248:31-8. 2008..To determine the knowledge base on clinical outcomes of surgery among persons diagnosed with serious mental illness...
- Higher Hb level is associated with better early functional recovery after hip fracture repairValerie A Lawrence
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination and Implementation Center VERDICT, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Transfusion 43:1717-22. 2003..One possible reason to transfuse is to improve functional recovery after major surgery. However, the data linking improved function with higher Hb concentration are limited...
- Patterns of primary care and mortality among patients with schizophrenia or diabetes: a cluster analysis approach to the retrospective study of healthcare utilizationLaurel A Copeland
VERDICT Research, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 9:127. 2009..We also assessed whether such patterns of primary care use were a significant predictor of mortality over a 4-year period...
- Functional independence after major abdominal surgery in the elderlyValerie A Lawrence
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination and Implementation Center, a Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, USA
J Am Coll Surg 199:762-72. 2004..Yet evidence about recovery to preoperative levels of functional independence is limited. This study details course and predictors of functional recovery after elective major abdominal operations in the elderly...
- Definition, incidence, risk factors, and prevention of paralytic ileus following radical cystectomy: a systematic reviewJorge A Ramírez
Department of Urology, The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Urol 64:588-97. 2013..Postoperative paralytic ileus (POI) has profound clinical consequences because it represents a substantial burden on both patients and health care resources...
- Cancer rates, medical comorbidities, and treatment modalities in the oldest patientsJohn E Zeber
Department of Veterans Affairs, South Texas Veterans Health Care System Verdict, HSR and D, San Antonio, TX 78229 4404, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 67:237-42. 2008..As we reconcile definitions of 'elderly' with appropriate treatment options, compassionate care requires identifying geriatric oncology guidelines that improve survival and quality of life...
- HIV infection increases the risk of heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaGeorge R Thompson
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:1393-6. 2007..HIV-infected patients receiving heparin therapy, especially unfractionated heparin therapy, were at increased risk of developing heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, compared with HIV-uninfected patients...
- Preoperative pulmonary risk stratification for noncardiothoracic surgery: systematic review for the American College of PhysiciansGerald W Smetana
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:581-95. 2006..The importance of clinical risk factors for postoperative pulmonary complications and the value of preoperative testing to stratify risk are the subject of debate...
- Preoperative evaluation for postoperative pulmonary complicationsAhsan M Arozullah
Veterans Affairs Chicago Healthcare System, Westside Division, Chicago, IL, USA
Med Clin North Am 87:153-73. 2003..Reducing hospital PPC rates will require future research into the processes of care associated with PPCs through controlled observational and interventional trials...
- Risk assessment for and strategies to reduce perioperative pulmonary complications for patients undergoing noncardiothoracic surgery: a guideline from the American College of PhysiciansAmir Qaseem
American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:575-80. 2006..The target audience for this guideline is general internists or other clinicians involved in perioperative management of surgical patients. The target patient population is all adult persons undergoing noncardiothoracic surgery...
- Update in perioperative medicineGerald W Smetana
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:452-61. 2004
- The relation between postoperative cardiac and noncardiac complications: pathophysiological dominoes or doubles tennis?Valerie A Lawrence
Am J Med 115:580-1. 2003