A J Lang
Affiliation: University of California
- The theoretical and empirical basis for meditation as an intervention for PTSDAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Behav Modif 36:759-86. 2012..Empirical evidence of the efficacy of meditation for PTSD is very limited but holds some promise. Additional evaluation of meditation-based treatment appears to be warranted...
- Abbreviated PTSD Checklist (PCL) as a guide to clinical responseAriel J Lang
Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 34:332-8. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate two abbreviated versions of the PTSD Checklist (PCL), a self-report measure of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms, as an index of change related to treatment...
- Evaluating transdiagnostic treatment for distress and impairment in veterans: a multi-site randomized controlled trial of Acceptance and Commitment TherapyAriel J Lang
University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 33:116-23. 2012..Challenges in designing an RCT to evaluate transdiagnostic treatment and in executing a multi-site psychotherapy trial are discussed...
- Treating generalized anxiety disorder with cognitive-behavioral therapyAriel J Lang
University of California San Diego, and VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:14-9. 2004..This article will review the principles used in CBT for the treatment of GAD and will discuss recent modifications of CBTs and how they may be employed. The simultaneous use of CBT and antidepressants will also be reviewed...
- Relationship of attentional bias to anxiety sensitivity and panicAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92108, USA
Depress Anxiety 20:190-4. 2004..AS was not significantly associated with performance on the Stroop, suggesting that previous positive findings may have been a reflection of the confounding effect of panic...
- Mental health and satisfaction with primary health care in female patientsAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Womens Health Issues 15:73-9. 2005..This study examined whether consideration of specific mental health factors, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), can improve our understanding of patient satisfaction in primary care settings...
- An abbreviated PTSD checklist for use as a screening instrument in primary careAriel J Lang
VA Outpatient Clinic MC116A4Z, University of California, 8810 Rio San Diego Drive, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Behav Res Ther 43:585-94. 2005..We found that both two-item and six-item versions have adequate psychometric properties for screening purposes and suggest that the selection of one version over the other depends on the specific needs of each primary care clinic...
- Anxiety sensitivity as a predictor of labor painAriel J Lang
University of California San Diego and the VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, United States
Eur J Pain 10:263-70. 2006..g., chronic pain) and extend knowledge in this literature to demonstrate the important role that AS serves among women and their experience of labor pain. Clinical implications are highlighted and discussed...
- Mental health treatment preferences of primary care patientsAriel J Lang
University of California, San Diego and VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
J Behav Med 28:581-6. 2005..This work supports the need for continued patient education and for primary care-based mental health services that are responsive to patients' preferences...
- Use of the anxiety control questionnaire in psychiatric inpatientsAriel J Lang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California 92108, USA
Depress Anxiety 23:107-12. 2006..The findings support the potential of the ACQ as a measure of perceived control in psychiatric inpatients. Treatment implications are discussed...
- A randomized trial of a brief mental health intervention for primary care patientsAriel J Lang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:1173-9. 2006..The treatment was well accepted by patients. This study provides good preliminary evidence for the effectiveness of this intervention...
- Adult psychopathology and intimate partner violence among survivors of childhood maltreatmentAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA, USA
J Interpers Violence 19:1102-18. 2004..This work underscores the importance of assessing multiple types of childhood maltreatment and of considering the cumulative effects of such experiences...
- Anxiety sensitivity and PTSD among female victims of intimate partner violenceAriel J Lang
San Diego VA Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Depress Anxiety 16:77-83. 2002..Nonetheless, AS may be an important factor to consider in treatment of individuals with PTSD...
- Social phobia: prevalence and diagnostic thresholdA J Lang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego and VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:5-10. 2001..We discuss the diagnostic threshold of social phobia and potential difficulties in differentiating this disorder from other mental disorders...
- Sexual trauma, posttraumatic stress disorder, and health behaviorAriel J Lang
Behavioral Medicine Service, Veterans Administration San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, USA
Behav Med 28:150-8. 2003..Findings from the study highlight the value of programs designed to (1) identify trauma victims, (2) screen for problematic behaviors, and (3) intervene to improve long-term health outcomes...
- Sensitivity and specificity of the PTSD checklist in detecting PTSD in female veterans in primary careAriel J Lang
Psychology Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
J Trauma Stress 16:257-64. 2003..The results provide qualified support for the use of the PCL-C total score with a lowered cutoff score as a screening measure for PTSD in female veterans in primary care...
- Brief intervention for co-occurring anxiety and depression in primary care: a pilot studyAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System, University of California San Diego, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 33:141-54. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of a brief cognitive-behavioral intervention for co-occurring anxiety and depression in primary care patients...
- Abbreviated brief symptom inventory for use as an anxiety and depression screening instrument in primary careAriel J Lang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, CA, USA
Depress Anxiety 26:537-43. 2009..The feasibility of such screening, however, depends on the availability of quick, easily interpretable screening tools...
- Direct and indirect links between childhood maltreatment, posttraumatic stress disorder, and women's healthAriel J Lang
The University of California San Diego UCSD, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Behav Med 33:125-35. 2008..These findings should strengthen efforts directed at identifying and treating PTSD in female victims of childhood maltreatment with the aim of preventing or attenuating poor health outcomes...
- Sexual trauma and pregnancy: a conceptual frameworkCarie S Rodgers
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92108, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 12:961-70. 2003..We suggest future directions for this area of research and discuss the clinical implications of this association, including the development of prenatal intervention and prevention programs...
- Associations between maternal childhood maltreatment and psychopathology and aggression during pregnancy and postpartumAriel J Lang
University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:17-25. 2006..This study examines the association between maternal childhood maltreatment and psychopathology and aggression in intimate relationships during pregnancy and the postpartum period...
- Relationships among childhood maltreatment, PTSD, and health in female veterans in primary careAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 8810 Rio San Diego Drive MC116A4Z, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:1281-92. 2006..This study examined whether current post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms mediate the relationship between CM and indicators of physical health and medical utilization in female veterans...
- Anxiety disorders. How to recognize and treat the medical symptoms of emotional illnessA J Lang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Geriatrics 56:24-7, 31-4. 2001..Older patients may benefit from cognitive-behavioral therapy and relaxation training. Antidepresants, particularly selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, are the preferred medical treatment...
- Mental health treatment preferences of older and younger primary care patientsJulie Loebach Wetherell
University of California, San Diego, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 34:219-33. 2004..To compare mental health treatment history and preferences in older and younger primary care patients...
- Validation of a brief measure of anxiety-related severity and impairment: the Overall Anxiety Severity and Impairment Scale (OASIS)Laura Campbell-Sills
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
J Affect Disord 112:92-101. 2009..A prior investigation with a nonclinical sample supported the reliability and validity of the OASIS; however, to date it has not been validated for use in clinical samples...
- A pilot study of seeking safety therapy with OEF/OIF veteransSonya B Norman
VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 42:83-7. 2010..Issues particular to veterans include reintegration to civilian life and supporting their connection with other veterans...
- Relationship of sexual assault history to somatic symptoms and health anxiety in womenMurray B Stein
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System and the University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26:178-83. 2004..Causal mechanisms cannot be inferred from these data. Studies in other cohorts are warranted...
- An evaluation of the psychometric properties of the traumatic events questionnaire in primary care patientsEric F Crawford
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:109-12. 2008..Trauma intensity also proved to be a powerful predictor of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) diagnostic status. Results support the TEQ as a measure of traumatic exposure in primary care populations...
- The impact of individual forms of childhood maltreatment on health behaviorCarie S Rodgers
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Child Abuse Negl 28:575-86. 2004....
- Trauma Exposure in Anxious Primary Care PatientsJ Bomyea
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, University of California, San Diego
J Psychopathol Behav Assess 35:254-263. 2013..Thus, although trauma exposure is prevalent in primary care samples, results suggest that treatment of the presenting anxiety disorder is effective irrespective of trauma history...
- The functional impact of anxiety sensitivity in the chronically physically illSonya B Norman
V A San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Depress Anxiety 21:154-60. 2005..01). Higher AS was associated with poorer vitality, mental functioning, and social functioning (P<.05). AS may be a correlate of poorer adjustment to chronic illness...
- Intolerance of uncertainty as a mediator of reductions in worry in a cognitive behavioral treatment program for generalized anxiety disorderJ Bomyea
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, USA Electronic address
J Anxiety Disord 33:90-4. 2015..Findings support the idea that IU is a critical construct underlying GAD...
- Manipulations of exposure-based therapy to reduce return of fear: a replicationA J Lang
Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0984, USA
Behav Res Ther 38:1-12. 2000..Reasons for the failure to replicate previous research and ideas for future research are discussed...
- Presleep attributions about arousal during sleep: nocturnal panicMichelle G Craske
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1563, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 111:53-62. 2002..The findings are consistent with a cognitive model of nocturnal panic attacks...
- Paroxetine CR augmentation for posttraumatic stress disorder refractory to prolonged exposure therapyNaomi M Simon
Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:400-5. 2008..This study prospectively examines the relative efficacy of augmentation of continued prolonged exposure therapy (PE) with paroxetine CR versus placebo for individuals remaining symptomatic despite a course of PE...
- Screening for anxiety in primary care: why bother?Ariel J Lang
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 24:365-6. 2002
- Does nocturnal panic represent a more severe form of panic disorder?Michelle G Craske
Department of Psychology, UCLA, 405 Hilgard Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563 Send reprint requests to Dr Craske
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:611-8. 2002..The authors conclude that NP may be a specific version of panic disorder characterized by fearful associations with sleep and sleeplike states...
- Treatment Effectiveness for Anxiety and DepressionAriel Lang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The second phase of research will involve pilot studies and preparation of a research project grant (RO1) application to test the generalizability of this intervention to community settings with administration by non-expert clinicians. ..