Affiliation: University of California
- The right inhibition? Callosal correlates of hand performance in healthy children and adolescents callosal correlates of hand performanceFlorian Kurth
Department of Medicine, Center for Neurobiology of Stress, School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 34:2259-65. 2013....
- Relationships between gray matter, body mass index, and waist circumference in healthy adultsFlorian Kurth
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024 1759, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 34:1737-46. 2013..Our observations suggest that waist circumference is a more sensitive indicator than BMI, particularly in females, for potentially determining the adverse effects of obesity and overweight on the brain and associated risks to health...
- Diminished gray matter within the hypothalamus in autism disorder: a potential link to hormonal effects?Florian Kurth
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 760 Westwood Plaza 47 417, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Biol Psychiatry 70:278-82. 2011..These characteristics are found irrespective of age, IQ, and gender of affected subjects. However, brain changes due to age, IQ, and gender might pose potential confounds in autism neuroimaging analyses...
- Global and regional alterations of hippocampal anatomy in long-term meditation practitionersEileen Luders
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
Hum Brain Mapp 34:3369-75. 2013..However, given the cross-sectional design, the lack of individual stress measures, and the limited resolution of brain data, the exact underlying neuronal mechanisms remain to be established...
- Bridging the hemispheres in meditation: thicker callosal regions and enhanced fractional anisotropy (FA) in long-term practitionersEileen Luders
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7334, USA
Neuroimage 61:181-7. 2012..Moreover, longitudinal studies are required to address whether the observed callosal effects are induced by meditation or constitute an innate prerequisite for the start or successful continuation of meditation...
- Disease and genetic contributions toward local tissue volume disturbances in schizophrenia: a tensor-based morphometry studyYaling Yang
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 33:2081-91. 2012..Thus, brain deformation profiles revealed in this study may help to clarify the role of specific genetic or environmental risk factors toward altered brain morphology in schizophrenia...
- Shifting brain asymmetry: the link between meditation and structural lateralizationFlorian Kurth
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7334, USA and Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, USC School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90032, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 10:55-61. 2015..The positive correlation between meditation practice years and asymmetry near the posterior intraparietal sulcus may suggest that meditation is accompanied by changes in attention processing. ..
- Estriol combined with glatiramer acetate for women with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trialRhonda R Voskuhl
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA Electronic address
Lancet Neurol 15:35-46. 2016..In a small single-arm study of people with multiple sclerosis estriol reduced gadolinium-enhancing lesions and was favourably immunomodulatory. We assessed whether estriol treatment reduces multiple sclerosis relapses in women...
- A 12-step user guide for analyzing voxel-wise gray matter asymmetries in statistical parametric mapping (SPM)Florian Kurth
Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Nat Protoc 10:293-304. 2015....
- Reduced age-related degeneration of the hippocampal subiculum in long-term meditatorsFlorian Kurth
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 232:214-8. 2015..Alternatively, because meditation is an established form of reducing stress, our observation might reflect an overall preservation of subicular tissue through a reduced neuronal vulnerability to negative effects of stress. ..
- Neuroprotective effects of testosterone treatment in men with multiple sclerosisFlorian Kurth
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA Brain Mapping Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neuroimage Clin 4:454-60. 2014..This is the first report of gray matter increase as the result of treatment in MS. ..