JoAnn E Kirchner
Affiliation: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Roles of managers, frontline staff and local champions, in implementing quality improvement: stakeholders' perspectivesJoAnn E Kirchner
Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
J Eval Clin Pract 18:63-9. 2012..Yet, little work describes and compares different stakeholders' views on their and others' roles in promoting successful quality improvement implementation...
- Alcohol consumption among older adults in primary careJoAnn E Kirchner
VA South Central Mental Illness Research Education and Clinic Center, Little Rock, AR, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:92-7. 2007..Alcohol misuse is a growing public health concern for older adults, particularly among primary care patients...
- Equity in veterans' mental health care: Veterans Affairs medical center clinics versus community-based outpatient clinicsJoAnn E Kirchner
Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research at Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, North Little Rock, AR 72114 1706, USA
Am J Med Qual 23:128-35. 2008..Since 2000, the VA has initiated several programs to address this need...
- Datapoints: detecting depression in VA primary care clinicsJoAnn E Kirchner
Department of Veterans Affairs South Central Mental Illness Research and Clinical Center, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:350. 2004
- Identifying factors critical to implementation of integrated mental health services in rural VA community-based outpatient clinicsJoAnn E Kirchner
VA South Central MIRECC, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System 152 NLR, 2200 Ft Roots Dr, North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 31:13-25. 2004....
- Blending education, research, and service missions: the Arkansas modelJoAnn E Kirchner
Veteran s Administration South Central Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, North Little Rock, AR 72114 1706, USA
Acad Med 82:107-12. 2007....
- Partnering with communities to address the mental health needs of rural veteransJoAnn E Kirchner
United States Department of Veterans Affairs Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114, USA
J Rural Health 27:416-24. 2011..To address these needs, it is important to reach out to community stakeholders who are likely to have frequent interactions with veterans, particularly those returning from Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF)...
- Depressive disorders and alcohol dependence in a community populationJoAnn E Kirchner
VA HSR and D Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, North Little Rock 72114 1706, USA
Community Ment Health J 38:361-73. 2002..This lack of insurance for previously depressed persons calls for future work examining the potential influence of this barrier to access care on both clinical and functional outcomes...
- Rural-urban differences in health care benefits of a community-based sample of at-risk drinkersJohn C Fortney
VA HSR and D Center for Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, USA
J Rural Health 19:292-8. 2003..Different types of health plan cost-containment strategies (eg, gatekeeping, selective contracting, and cost-sharing) may affect the utilization of behavioral health services differently in urban and rural areas...
- Datapoints: detection of substance use disorders in veterans affairs primary care clinicsGeoffrey M Curran
Health Services Research and Development Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research of the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare system, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1326. 2003
- Depressive symptomatology and early attrition from intensive outpatient substance use treatmentGeoffrey M Curran
Veterans Administration Health Services Research and Development Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, 2200 Fort Roots Drive, Building 58, North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:138-43. 2002..The results also indicate that future research should focus on potential distinguishing characteristics between early and later attrition...
- Creating a quality-improvement dialogue: utilizing knowledge from frontline staff, managers, and experts to foster health care quality improvementLouise E Parker
VA Center for Mental Health Care and Outcomes Research, North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Qual Health Res 19:229-42. 2009..Finally, although informants acknowledged that engaging in a QI dialogue was time consuming, they also believed it was essential if health care organizations are to improve the quality of care they provide...
- Differences between physical and behavioral health benefits in the health plans of at-risk drinkersJohn C Fortney
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center for Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:97-102. 2003..The goal of this study was to describe the physical and behavioral health benefits of a representative community-based sample of at-risk drinkers potentially in need of behavioral health services...
- Measuring use of health services for at-risk drinkers: how brief can you get?Brenda M Booth
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, 72204, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 33:254-64. 2006....
- Balancing health care evidence and art to meet clinical needs: policymakers' perspectivesLouise E Parker
Independent Researcher and Consultant, Cambridge, MA, USA, Consultant, HSR and D Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, North Little Rock, AR, USA
J Eval Clin Pract 15:970-5. 2009..Further, it is important for policymakers and researchers to work in concert to develop EBPs that are practical and meet needs...
- Outcomes of a partnered facilitation strategy to implement primary care-mental healthJoAnn E Kirchner
VA Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, North Little Rock, AR, USA
J Gen Intern Med 29:904-12. 2014..Implementing new programs and practices is challenging, even when they are mandated. Implementation Facilitation (IF) strategies that focus on partnering with sites show promise for addressing these challenges...
- Clinical practice variations in prescribing antipsychotics for patients with schizophreniaRichard R Owen
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Health Services Research and Development Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, North Little Rock, AR 72114 1706, USA
Am J Med Qual 18:140-6. 2003..To adequately assess quality and inform and possibly further develop clinical practice guideline recommendations for schizophrenia, well-designed research studies conducted in routine clinical settings are needed...
- Psychological traumas of war: training school counselors as home-front respondersAngie Waliski
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114, USA
J Rural Health 28:348-55. 2012..This manuscript describes a collaborative project between a state's Veterans Healthcare System, a branch of the American Counseling Association, and a medical university on the OEF/OIF/OND deployment experience...
- Collaborative research between clinicians and researchers: a multiple case study of implementationDean Blevins
South Central Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center SC MIRECC, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, 2200 Fort Roots Drive, Building 58, North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
Implement Sci 5:76. 2010....
- Nurse executives' perceptions of end-of-life care provided in hospitalsKimberly K Garner
Department of Geriatrics, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72214, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 45:235-43. 2013..Many persons have expressed concern about the inadequate preparation of hospitals to provide high-value end-of-life care for the current and anticipated population of older adults...
- Effect of depression treatment on depressive symptoms in older adulthood: the moderating role of painShahrzad Mavandadi
Section of Geriatric Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:202-11. 2007..To investigate whether pain severity and interference with normal work activities moderate the effects of depression treatment on changes in depressive symptoms over time in older adults in primary care...
- Utilization and cost of mental health, substance abuse, and medical services among at-risk drinkersPaul J Nietert
Medical University of South Carolina, USA
Med Care Res Rev 64:431-48. 2007..Through multivariable models, this study found that overall costs of non-MH/SA services were similar between users and nonusers of MH/SA services...
- Primary care - mental health collaboration: an example of assessing usual practice and potential barriersJacqueline J Fickel
Veterans Administration, Health Services Research and Development Service, Center for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Interprof Care 21:207-16. 2007..We identify strategies that can help overcome the barriers to collaboration that our informants most commonly identified...
- Prevalence of depression-PTSD comorbidity: implications for clinical practice guidelines and primary care-based interventionsDuncan G Campbell
Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:711-8. 2007..Compared to those with depression alone, depressed patients with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) experience more severe psychiatric symptomatology and factors that complicate treatment...
- Growing our own: a regional approach to encourage psychiatric residents to enter researchMark E Kunik
Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Acad Psychiatry 32:236-40. 2008....
- Management of mental disorders in VA primary care practicesAmy M Kilbourne
VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:208-14. 2006..VA primary care programs, while tending to refer for more serious mental illnesses, may also be using mental health specialists and physician extenders to provide mental health care within general medical settings...
- PRISM-E: comparison of integrated care and enhanced specialty referral in managing at-risk alcohol useDavid W Oslin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 3535 Market Street, Room 3002, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:954-8. 2006....
- PARTNERS IN BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SCIENCES/PHASE I AND IIJoann Kirchner; Fiscal Year: 2004..This program is designed to reflect a cultural and ethnic sensitivity to minorities and children. ..