Kyung Mee Kim
Affiliation: University of Florida
- A sensitive and specific liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of intracellular and extracellular uric acidKyung Mee Kim
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:2032-8. 2009..10 to 103.59% and 98.74 to 106.12% for in vivo and in vitro analyses, respectively. This study demonstrates that intracellular levels of UA can be measured using LC-MS/MS with isotope labeled UA as an internal standard...
- Reactions of peroxynitrite with uric acid: formation of reactive intermediates, alkylated products and triuret, and in vivo production of triuret under conditions of oxidative stressChristine Gersch
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0224, USA
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 28:118-49. 2009..These reactive intermediates could possibly explain how uric acid contributes to the pathogenesis of diseases such as the metabolic syndrome and hypertension...
- Radicals in the reaction between peroxynitrite and uric acid identified by electron spin resonance spectroscopy and liquid chromatography mass spectrometryWitcha Imaram
Department of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 49:275-81. 2010..The ions of m/z 352 were characterized as the PBN-triuretcarbonyl radical adduct and the m/z 223 ion was identified as the PBN-aminocarbonyl radical adduct. Their mechanism of formation is discussed...
- Simultaneous determination of uric acid metabolites allantoin, 6-aminouracil, and triuret in human urine using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometryKyung Mee Kim
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0226, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:65-70. 2009..The new method was used to show that smoking, which can induce oxidative stress, is associated with elevated triuret levels in urine. Thus, the method may be helpful in identifying pathways of oxidative stress in biological samples...
- Ketohexokinase-dependent metabolism of fructose induces proinflammatory mediators in proximal tubular cellsPietro Cirillo
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0224, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:545-53. 2009..Fructose increased intracellular uric acid, and uric acid induced production of MCP-1 as well. In summary, postprandial concentrations of fructose stimulate redox- and urate-dependent inflammatory mediators in proximal tubular cells...
- Inactivation of nitric oxide by uric acidChristine Gersch
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 27:967-78. 2008..This study shows a potential mechanism by which UA may deplete NO and cause endothelial dysfunction, particularly under conditions of oxidative stress in which UA is elevated and intracellular glutathione is depleted...
- Lead, at low levels, accelerates arteriolopathy and tubulointerstitial injury in chronic kidney diseaseCarlos Roncal
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension, and Transplantation, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0224, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1391-6. 2007..In conclusion, lead accelerates chronic renal disease, primarily by raising blood pressure and accelerating microvascular and tubulointerstitial injury...