Affiliation: University of Florida
- Role of mitochondrial inner membrane permeabilization in necrotic cell death, apoptosis, and autophagyJohn J Lemasters
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7090, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 4:769-81. 2002....
- Mitochondrial permeability transition in the switch from necrotic to apoptotic cell death in ischemic rat hepatocytesJae Sung Kim
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Gastroenterology 124:494-503. 2003..Here, we investigated factors regulating how cell death switches from necrosis to apoptosis after ischemia/reperfusion injury...
- Impaired autophagy: A mechanism of mitochondrial dysfunction in anoxic rat hepatocytesJae Sung Kim
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Hepatology 47:1725-36. 2008..Conclusion: Calpain 2-mediated degradation of Atg7 and Beclin-1 impairs mitochondrial autophagy, and this subsequently leads to MPT-dependent hepatocyte death after A/R...
- Carbamazepine suppresses calpain-mediated autophagy impairment after ischemia/reperfusion in mouse liversJae Sung Kim
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA Electronic address
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 273:600-10. 2013..In conclusion, CBZ prevents calcium overloading and calpain activation, which, in turn, suppresses Atg7 and Beclin-1 depletion, defective autophagy, onset of the MPT and cell death after I/R...
- Neutral sphingomyelinase 2 modulates cytotoxic effects of protopanaxadiol on different human cancer cellsBonggoo Park
College of Pharmacy, Gachon University, Incheon, Korea
BMC Complement Altern Med 13:194. 2013..Protopanaxadiol (PPD) exhibits the highest cytotoxic effect among 8 ginsenosides which we evaluated for anti-cancer activity. We investigated if PPD disrupts lipid rafts in its cytotoxic effects and also the possible mechanisms...
- Mitochondrial permeability transition in rat hepatocytes after anoxia/reoxygenation: role of Ca2+-dependent mitochondrial formation of reactive oxygen speciesJae Sung Kim
Univ of Florida, Dept of Surgery, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 302:G723-31. 2012..In conclusion, Ca(2+)-dependent mitochondrial ROS formation is the molecular signal culminating in onset of the MPT after reoxygenation of anoxic hepatocytes, leading to cell death...
- Murine cirrhosis induces hepatocyte epithelial mesenchymal transition and alterations in survival signaling pathwaysTakashi Nitta
Department of Surgery, Division of General and Gastrointestinal GI Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Hepatology 48:909-19. 2008..CLDH demonstrated increased basal p-extracellular signal-regulated kinase expression that was independent of Smad and PI3K/Akt signaling. Inhibition of the MAPK pathway produced a marked increase in CLDH apoptosis...
- Transforming growth factor beta mediates hepatocyte apoptosis through Smad3 generation of reactive oxygen speciesDalliah Black
Department of Surgery, 4024 Burnett Womack Building, CB 7050, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Biochimie 89:1464-73. 2007..In conclusion, TGFbeta-induced hepatocyte apoptosis occurs through Smad3 dependent activation of ROS with subsequent activation of the MPT and caspases...
- Basal reactive oxygen species determine the susceptibility to apoptosis in cirrhotic hepatocytesJay Raval
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 41:1645-54. 2006..In conclusion, cirrhotic hepatocytes have a nonfocal distribution of ROS. However, normal and cirrhotic hepatocytes exhibit mitochondrial localization of ROS that is necessary for apoptosis...
- Opioid receptor-independent protection of ischemic rat hepatocytes by morphineJae Sung Kim
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 351:958-64. 2006..These results indicate that morphine prevents anoxia/reoxygenation injury to hepatocytes. Protective mechanisms are associated with the potassium channels and NO, but are independent of opioid receptor-mediated signaling...
- Nitric oxide protects rat hepatocytes against reperfusion injury mediated by the mitochondrial permeability transitionJae Sung Kim
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Hepatology 39:1533-43. 2004....
- Mitochondrial permeability transition in acetaminophen-induced necrosis and apoptosis of cultured mouse hepatocytesKazuyoshi Kon
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7090, USA
Hepatology 40:1170-9. 2004..The MPT then induces ATP depletion-dependent necrosis or caspase-dependent apoptosis as determined, in part, by ATP availability from glycolysis...
- Translocation of iron from lysosomes into mitochondria is a key event during oxidative stress-induced hepatocellular injuryAkira Uchiyama
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Hepatology 48:1644-54. 2008....
- Mitochondrial permeability transition: a common pathway to necrosis and apoptosisJae Sung Kim
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 7090, 236 Taylor Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7090, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 304:463-70. 2003..Thus, the MPT is a common pathway leading to both necrotic and apoptotic cell death after ischemia/reperfusion...
- Autophagy in liver injuryJae Sung Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..Better understanding of the mechanisms underlying ischemia/reperfusion injury would establish novel therapeutic approaches for improving liver function after liver surgery. ..