Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Renin-angiotensin system genes and exercise training-induced changes in sodium excretion in African American hypertensivesJennifer M Jones
Department of Kinesiology, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
Ethn Dis 16:666-74. 2006..To determine whether angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) and angiotensinogen (ACT) genotypes could predict changes in urinary sodium excretion in response to short-term aerobic exercise training (AEX)...
- Role of potassium excretion and percent body fat on ethnic differences in plasma aldosterone levelsJennifer Jones
Department of Kinesiology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA
Ethn Dis 16:S4-10-4. 2006....
- Factors associated with hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in Dallas County, TexasRonald G Victor
Division of Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Room J4 134, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1285-93. 2008..Hypertension (HTN) control rates in the United States remain lower in black than white persons, particularly before 65 years of age. Potential sociocultural factors have not been sufficiently addressed...
- Genetic association of Alzheimer's disease with multiple polymorphisms in alpha-2-macroglobulinAleister J Saunders
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:2765-76. 2003..However, the negative case - control studies suggest that any underlying pathogenic polymorphisms have a modest effect, and may operate primarily among individuals with a family history of AD...
- Fine organic particulate matter dominates indoor-generated PM2.5 in RIOPA homesAndrea Polidori
Environmental Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 16:321-31. 2006..5). One interesting effect of increased indoor OM concentrations is a shift in the gas-particle partitioning of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from the gas to the particle phase with outdoor-to-indoor transport...
- Barbershops as hypertension detection, referral, and follow-up centers for black menPaul L Hess
Division of Hypertension, Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8586, USA
Hypertension 49:1040-6. 2007..01). Taken together, these data suggest that black-owned barbershops can be transformed into effective HTN detection, referral, and follow-up centers. Further research is warranted...
- Tune deafness: processing melodic errors outside of conscious awareness as reflected by components of the auditory ERPAllen Braun
Language Section, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2349. 2008..Given the high heritability of TD, these patients may make it possible to use genetic methods to study cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying conscious awareness...