Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Reflections on Darwinian Evolution - Is there a Jewish Perspective?Chaim O Jacob
Professor of Medicine and Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, The Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California USC, USA Director of the Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies FOCIS Center for Excellence at USC, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Rambam Maimonides Med J 2:e0044. 2011..The article argues the position that science and the Torah are incommensurable. I argue against using the Torah for attaining knowledge about the nature of the world, or using science for enhancing or denying the truth of the Torah. ..
- Development of systemic lupus erythematosus in NZM 2328 mice in the absence of any single BAFF receptorChaim O Jacob
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Arthritis Rheum 65:1043-54. 2013..To determine the necessity for any individual BAFF receptor in the development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Genetics of rheumatoid arthritis: an impressionist perspectiveNoam Jacob
Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2011 Zonal Avenue HMR 703, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 38:243-57. 2012..This review evaluates critically the recent literature on the genetic contribution to RA and assesses the methodology used to identify these risk alleles...
- Lupus-associated causal mutation in neutrophil cytosolic factor 2 (NCF2) brings unique insights to the structure and function of NADPH oxidaseChaim O Jacob
The Lupus Genetic Group, Department of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E59-67. 2012..Our study completes the chain of evidence from genetic association to specific molecular function...
- Function2Gene: a gene selection tool to increase the power of genetic association studies by utilizing public databases and expert knowledgeDon L Armstrong
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:311. 2008..SNPs have been used to identify genetic components which are associated with a disease. Unfortunately, many studies using these methods suffer from low reproducibility due to lack of power...
- Identification of IRAK1 as a risk gene with critical role in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosusChaim O Jacob
The Lupus Genetic Group, Department of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:6256-61. 2009..This demonstration of an X chromosome gene as a disease susceptibility factor in human SLE raises the possibility that the gender difference in SLE may in part be attributed to sex chromosome genes...
- Identification of novel susceptibility genes in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus using a uniquely designed candidate gene pathway platformChaim O Jacob
Department of Medicine, University of Southern California School of Medicine, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:4164-73. 2007....
- Genome-wide association scan in women with systemic lupus erythematosus identifies susceptibility variants in ITGAM, PXK, KIAA1542 and other lociJohn B Harley
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, 825 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Nat Genet 40:204-10. 2008..Our results show that numerous genes, some with known immune-related functions, predispose to SLE...
- Paucity of clinical disease despite serological autoimmunity and kidney pathology in lupus-prone New Zealand mixed 2328 mice deficient in BAFFChaim O Jacob
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Immunol 177:2671-80. 2006..These observations may have profound ramifications for the use of BAFF antagonists in human SLE and related diseases...
- A functional variant of SUMO4, a new I kappa B alpha modifier, is associated with type 1 diabetesDehuang Guo
Center for Biotechnology and Genomic Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, CA4098, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Nat Genet 36:837-41. 2004..5 times greater NF kappa B transcriptional activity and approximately 2 times greater expression of IL12B, an NF kappa B-dependent gene. These findings suggest a new pathway that may be implicated in the pathogenesis of T1D...
- Pivotal role of Stat4 and Stat6 in the pathogenesis of the lupus-like disease in the New Zealand mixed 2328 miceChaim O Jacob
Department of Medicine, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
J Immunol 171:1564-71. 2003..Furthermore, these results also question the apparent equation of the effect of Stat deficiency with loss of secretion or response to particular cytokines...
- GENETICS OF CHILDHOOD ONSET SLEChaim Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2003..They further state that this is a multi-center application from some of the largest pediatric lupus clinics in the country and, therefore, represents a major and unique resource for the study of the genetics of childhood-onset SLE. ..
- A new direction in studing sex hormone involovement in *Chaim Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2003..Stanczyk) and biochemistry of steroid hormones (Dr. Roberts). The project proposed represents a clear and distinct departure from the PI's and the other investigators ongoing research. ..
- Cytokine mechanisms in systemic lupus erythematosusChaim Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies should lead to better understanding of a number of characteristics of SLE and may lead to identification of new targets for therapy. ..