Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Implementation and Evaluation of a School-Based Human Papillomavirus Vaccination Program in Rural KentuckyRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, College of Public Health, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 49:317-23. 2015..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to design, implement, and evaluate a school-based HPV vaccination program conducted in rural south-central Kentucky...
- Effective dual method contraceptive use and HPV vaccination among U.S. adolescent and young adult femalesRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, Kentucky Electronic address
Womens Health Issues 24:543-50. 2014....
- Self-collecting a cervico-vaginal specimen for cervical cancer screening: an exploratory study of acceptability among medically underserved women in rural AppalachiaRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY, USA Electronic address
Gynecol Oncol 132:S21-5. 2014..The purpose of this exploratory study was to determine whether Appalachian Kentucky women would be amenable to self-collecting a cervico-vaginal specimen for HPV testing...
- Adapting and implementing evidence-based cancer education interventions in rural Appalachia: real world experiences and challengesRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Rural Remote Health 11:1807. 2011..This circumstance is particularly germane to medically underserved communities, such as rural Appalachia, where few evidence-based interventions originate and cancer incidence and mortality are elevated...
- HPV-related risk perceptions and HPV vaccine uptake among a sample of young rural womenRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, 121 Washington Ave Suite 111C, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
J Community Health 36:903-9. 2011..Health promotion programs designed for this population may enhance HPV vaccine uptake by creating more realistic perceptions about the inherent value of vaccines and by improving perceptions relative to injection pain...
- Rural-urban differences in discussions of cancer treatment clinical trialsRobin Cline Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY, USA
Patient Educ Couns 85:e69-74. 2011..Compare the characteristics of rural and urban callers to NCI's Cancer Information Service (CIS), and explore the association of geographic location and discussion of cancer clinical trials...
- Cancer risk perceptions, beliefs, and physician avoidance in Appalachia: results from the 2008 HINTS SurveyRobin C Vanderpool
Department of Health Behavior, College of Public Health, University of Kentucky, 2365 Harrodsburg Road, Lexington, KY 40504, USA
J Health Commun 15:78-91. 2010....
- Defining care provided for breast cancer based on medical record review or Medicare claims: information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Patterns of Care StudySteven T Fleming
University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, USA
Ann Epidemiol 22:807-13. 2012..Description of care patterns is important as evidence-based guidelines increasingly dictate care. We explore the level of agreement between claims and record abstraction for guideline concordant multidisciplinary breast cancer care...
- Patterns of care with regard to surgical choice and application of adjuvant radiation therapy for preinvasive and early stage breast cancer in rural AppalachiaAndrew B Freeman
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 35:358-63. 2012....
- Ten-year relative survival for epithelial ovarian cancerLauren A Baldwin
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Obstet Gynecol 120:612-8. 2012..Our objective was to estimate relative survival in epithelial ovarian cancer over the course of 10 years...
- Exploring geographic variation in lung cancer incidence in Kentucky using a spatial scan statistic: elevated risk in the Appalachian coal-mining regionW Jay Christian
University oof Kentucky College of Medicine, Markey Cancer Control Program, Lexington, KY, USA
Public Health Rep 126:789-96. 2011..Recent research has suggested that the coal-mining industry contributes to lung cancer risk in Appalachia. We focused on the southeastern portion of the state, which has some of the highest lung cancer rates in the nation...
- Demographics and treatment trends in sinonasal mucosal melanomaThomas J Gal
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Laryngoscope 121:2026-33. 2011..To evaluate the population characteristics of mucosal melanoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses and determine the impact of the new staging classification...
- Treatment patterns for prostate cancer: comparison of Medicare claims data to medical record reviewSteven T Fleming
Department of Epidemiology, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA American College of Radiology Clinical Research Center, Philadelphia, PA University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, Lexington, KY Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA
Med Care 52:e58-64. 2014..We explore the level of agreement between claims and record abstraction for treatment regimens for prostate cancer...
- One decade later: trends and disparities in the application of post-mastectomy radiotherapy since the release of the American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guidelinesAnthony E Dragun
Department of Radiation Oncology, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83:e591-6. 2012..In 2001 ASCO published practice guidelines for post mastectomy radiotherapy (PMRT). We analyzed factors that influence the receipt of radiotherapy therapy and trends over time...
- Concentrations of arsenic, chromium, and nickel in toenail samples from Appalachian Kentucky residentsNancy Johnson
College of Public Health, University of Kentucky, USA
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 30:213-23. 2011..Environmental factors may contribute to the increased concentration of trace elements measured in residents of the Appalachian region. Routes of human exposure need to be determined...
- Variability of cervical cancer rates across 5 Appalachian states, 1998-2003Claudia Hopenhayn
Markey Cancer Control Program, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Cancer 113:2974-80. 2008..The ICC incidence rates were compared in 5 Appalachian states with population-based cancer registries to investigate variability within the Appalachian region...
- Patterns of colorectal cancer incidence, risk factors, and screening in KentuckyClaudia Hopenhayn
Cancer Control Program, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40504 3381, USA
South Med J 97:216-23. 2004..Colorectal cancer incidence rates are higher in Kentucky than in the United States in general, and there are regional variations within the state...
- Geographic trends in cervical cancer incidence and mortality in Kentucky, 1995-2000Stephen W Wyatt
University of Kentucky, Department of Preventive Medicine and Occupational Health, Lexington, KY, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 102:11-4. 2004..Kentucky's elevated cervical cancer incidence and mortality rates are well documented. However, in Kentucky, as in the United States as a whole, cervical cancer incidence and mortality have been decreasing...
- Arsenic exposure from drinking water and birth weightClaudia Hopenhayn
School of Public Health and Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40504, USA
Epidemiology 14:593-602. 2003..Limited evidence suggests that arsenic may have adverse human reproductive effects. We investigated the association between drinking water arsenic exposure and fetal growth, as manifest in birth weight...
- Profile of urinary arsenic metabolites during pregnancyClaudia Hopenhayn
School of Public Health, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40504 3381, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1888-91. 2003..Key words: arsenic, arsenic metabolism, arsenic methylation, Chile, pregnancy, urinary arsenic...
- Does distance matter? Distance to mammography facilities and stage at diagnosis of breast cancer in KentuckyBin Huang
Kentucky Cancer Registry, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Rural Health 25:366-71. 2009..National and regional data indicate that breast cancer early detection is low in Kentucky, especially rural regions, perhaps because access to mammography services can be problematic...
- Hormone replacement therapy and survival in lung cancer in postmenopausal women in a rural populationBin Huang
Kentucky Cancer Registry, Markey Cancer Control Program, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40504 3381, USA
Cancer 115:4167-75. 2009..Results from studies exploring these issues are inconsistent. A retrospective study in a rural population was conducted to determine whether a history of HRT use is associated with survival of postmenopausal women with lung cancer...
- Developing a claim-based version of the ACE-27 comorbidity index: a comparison with medical record reviewSteven T Fleming
Department of Epidemiology, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Med Care 49:752-60. 2011..The purpose of this study was to compare the medical record-based ACE-27 instrument to a newly developed administrative claim-based ACE-27 measure...
- The impact of changing age-adjustment population standards on Kentucky's cancer incidence ratesStephen W Wyatt
Kentucky Cancer Registry, UK Cancer Control Program, Lexington, KY, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 101:71-2. 2003
- The impact of number of lymph nodes removed on five-year survival in stage II colon and rectal cancerHarry Carloss
Cancer Surveillance, University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, Lexington, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 102:345-7. 2004
- Long-term survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer detected by ultrasonographic screeningJohn Rensselaer van Nagell
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center Markey Cancer Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0293, USA
Obstet Gynecol 118:1212-21. 2011..To estimate the effect of ultrasonographic screening on stage at detection and long-term disease-specific survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer...
- Kentucky breast cancer report cardGilbert H Friedell
Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, 2365 Harrodsburg Rd, Ste B150, Lexington, KY 40504 3381, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 101:449-54. 2003..Improving the breast cancer mortality rate in Kentucky will depend on increased case-finding of "early" stage disease and increasing the ratio of "early" to "late" stage incident cases...
- Incidence of oral cavity and pharynx cancer in KentuckyBin Huang
Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky, Chandler Medical Center RM C236, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536 0084, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 106:355-60. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine the differences in incidence rates in Kentucky as compared to nationwide data as well as regional differences within the state...
- Colorectal screening practices in KentuckyThomas C Tucker
Cancer Prevention and Control, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 103:349-53. 2005
- Trends in cigarette smoking and obesity in Appalachian KentuckyNancy E Schoenberg
From the Department of Behavioral Science and the Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, and the Barren River District Health Department, Bowling Green, Kentucky
South Med J 108:170-7. 2015....
- High density lipoprotein protects against polymicrobe-induced sepsis in miceLing Guo
Department of Pediatrics, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Biol Chem 288:17947-53. 2013..Our study supports efforts to raise HDL levels as a therapeutic approach for sepsis. ..
- Endometrial cancer in Kentucky: the impact of age, smoking status, and rural residenceSusan C Modesitt
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Gynecol Oncol 103:300-6. 2006....
- Current epidemiology and management trends in acoustic neuromaThomas J Gal
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:677-81. 2010..The objective of this study was to assess the epidemiology of acoustic neuroma and determine current trends in therapy using tumor registry techniques...
- Heterogeneity of ovarian cancer: relationships among histological group, stage of disease, tumor markers, patient characteristics, and survivalMaura Pieretti
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, USA
Cancer Invest 20:11-23. 2002..It also lends support to the hypothesis that ovarian cancer is a heterogeneous disease with distinct etiological factors and clinical outcomes, which may require different approaches to treatment...