Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Investigation of racial and ethnic disparities in service utilization among homeless adults with severe mental illnessesMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, 201 North Craig St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:1032-8. 2009..This study examined whether there are service disparities among homeless adults with severe mental illnesses, a vulnerable population with a high level of unmet need...
- Improving traditional intention-to-treat analyses: a new approachMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychol Med 35:961-70. 2005..We set out to describe and assess methods for estimation of a treatment effect when the trial is 'broken'...
- Improving quality and diffusing best practices: the case of schizophreniaMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Medical School, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:701-12. 2009..Using the case of schizophrenia, we review the context in which these paradoxical patterns of diffusion have occurred, and we propose policy solutions...
- The effect of race-ethnicity on the comparative effectiveness of clozapine among Medicaid beneficiariesMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
RAND Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychiatr Serv 64:230-7. 2013..This study examined the effectiveness by race-ethnicity of clozapine relative to other antipsychotics among adult patients in maintenance antipsychotic treatment...
- Racial and ethnic service use disparities among homeless adults with severe mental illnesses receiving ACTMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
RAND Corporation, 4570 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:598-604. 2011..The aim of this study was to assess the equity effects of assertive community treatment (ACT), an evidence-based case management intervention, among homeless adults with severe mental illness...
- The effect of race-ethnicity and geography on adoption of innovations in the treatment of schizophreniaMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
RAND Corporation, 4570 Fifth Ave, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:1171-7. 2012....
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the treatment of a Medicaid population with schizophreniaMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
University of Pittsburgh Medical School, 201 North Craig St 250, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Health Serv Res 44:2106-22. 2009..To assess health care disparities among black and Latino adults with schizophrenia receiving services during the period July 1994-June 2006, and to evaluate trends in observed disparities...
- Disparities in quality of care among publicly insured adults with schizophrenia in four large U.S. states, 2002-2008Marcela Horvitz-Lennon
RAND Corporation, 4570 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Health Serv Res 49:1121-44. 2014..To examine racial/ethnic disparities in quality of schizophrenia care and assess the size of observed disparities across states and over time...
- Significance of endorsement of psychotic symptoms by US LatinosRoberto Lewis-Fernandez
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, New York, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 197:337-47. 2009..Endorsed psychotic symptoms in Latinos may constitute a clinically significant marker of general psychiatric vulnerability rather than a sign of psychotic disorder...
- "Usual care" for major depression in the 1990s: characteristics and expert-estimated outcomesMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
Department of Psychiatry, The Cambridge Hospital, Mass, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:720-6. 2003....
- From silos to bridges: meeting the general health care needs of adults with severe mental illnessesMarcela Horvitz-Lennon
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:659-69. 2006..We discuss obstacles to clinical integration and propose strategies to address them...
- Antipsychotic prescribing: do conflict of interest policies make a difference?Timothy S Anderson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Department of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA RAND Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA Department of Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
Med Care 53:338-45. 2015..Academic medical centers (AMCs) have increasingly adopted conflict of interest policies governing physician-industry relationships; it is unclear how policies impact prescribing...
- On the use of discrete choice models for causal inferenceRusty Tchernis
Department of Economics, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
Stat Med 24:2197-2212. 2005..We also illustrate the use of discrete choice models to estimate the effect of antipsychotic drug use on the risk of diabetes in a cohort of adults with schizophrenia...