Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Ethnic and geographical differences in HLA associations with the outcome of hepatitis C virus infectionJane H Wang
Division of Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, USA
Virol J 6:46. 2009..The association of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) genes with the outcome of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection may be modified by ethnic and geographical differences...
- Hepatitis C virus coinfection and HIV load, CD4+ cell percentage, and clinical progression to AIDS or death among HIV-infected women: Women and Infants Transmission StudyRonald C Hershow
University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:859-67. 2005..The Women and Infants Transmission Study provided an opportunity to assess this issue...
- Trends in mortality and causes of death among women with HIV in the United States: a 10-year studyAudrey L French
CORE Center Stroger Cook County Hospital, Rush University, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:399-406. 2009..To assess trends in mortality and cause of death for women with HIV, we studied deaths over a 10-year period among participants in the Women's Interagency HIV Study, a representative US cohort...
- Mode of delivery and postpartum HIV-1 disease progression: the Women and Infants Transmission StudyElena L Navas-Nacher
Children s Memorial Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
AIDS 20:429-36. 2006..To assess the relationship between mode of delivery and subsequent maternal HIV-1 disease progression...
- Active surveillance for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the neonatal intensive care unitVanessa Sarda
University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:854-60. 2009....
- Misdirection on the road to Shangri-LaS Jay Olshansky
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Sci Aging Knowledge Environ 2005:pe15. 2005..S. pattern of longevity will follow that of other longer lived nations and on the extrapolation of historical trends in life expectancy into the future...
- Lessons learned from Chicago's emergency response to mass evacuations caused by Hurricane KatrinaDita Broz
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1496-504. 2009..We analyzed the response of the Chicago Department of Public Health with respect to its effectiveness in providing health care to Hurricane Katrina evacuees arriving in the city...
- Cervicovaginal levels of lactoferrin, secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor, and RANTES and the effects of coexisting vaginoses in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-seronegative women with a high risk of heterosexual acquisition of HIV infectionRichard M Novak
University of Illinois at Chicago, 808 S Wood St, M C 735, Rm 888, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1102-7. 2007..However, the increased RANTES levels in a higher-risk subset of high-risk women were reduced after BV treatment...
- Prevalence and correlates of elevated body mass index among HIV-positive and HIV-negative women in the Women's Interagency HIV StudyBasmattee Boodram
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:1009-16. 2009..In conclusion, risk factors for elevated BMI were similar for HIV+ and HIV- women in the WIHS. For HIV+ women, all markers of advanced HIV infection and ART use were additionally associated with lower BMI...
- A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st centuryS Jay Olshansky
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1138-45. 2005..From our analysis of the effect of obesity on longevity, we conclude that the steady rise in life expectancy during the past two centuries may soon come to an end...
- Heroin insufflation as a trigger for patients with life-threatening asthmaAnne J Krantz
Division of Occupational Medicine, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Chest 123:510-7. 2003....
- Risk of hepatitis C virus infection among young adult injection drug users who share injection equipmentLorna E Thorpe
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:645-53. 2002..5, 95% confidence interval: 1.3, 9.9). The authors conclude that sharing of injection equipment other than syringes may be an important cause of HCV transmission between IDUs...
- Comparison of standard and immune-enhancing oral formulas in asymptomatic HIV-infected persons: a multicenter randomized controlled clinical trialJoyce K Keithley
Rush University College of Nursing, Illinois, Chicago, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:6-14. 2002..A secondary aim was to evaluate the feasibility of maintaining a diverse sample of outpatients on a long-term oral formula protocol...
- Incidence of tuberculin skin test conversion among HIV-infected and -uninfected women: results of a 6-year studyAudrey L French
CORE Center Stroger Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:592-6. 2006..To define the incidence of tuberculin skin test (TST) conversion and to evaluate the yield of annual testing in an era of declining tuberculosis incidence rate in the United States...
- Analysis of standard methods for diagnosing vaginitis: HIV infection does not complicate the diagnosis of vaginitisBeverly E Sha
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Low Genit Tract Dis 11:240-50. 2007..We sought to determine whether the standard diagnostic methods for vaginitis behave similarly among HIV-infected and at-risk seronegative women...
- Effect of hard-drug use on CD4 cell percentage, HIV RNA level, and progression to AIDS-defining class C events among HIV-infected womenLorna E Thorpe
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:1423-30. 2004..65; 95% confidence interval, 1.00-2.72), especially herpes, pulmonary tuberculosis, and recurrent pneumonia. Hard-drug-using women may have a higher risk for nonfatal opportunistic infections...
- Drug use and HIV risk practices of secondary and primary needle exchange usersDezheng Huo
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Community Outreach Intervention Projects, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60637, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 17:170-84. 2005..Secondary exchange facilitated HIV risk reduction but the salutary effects of NEPs were attenuated in mixed/secondary exchangers...
- Risk factors for Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection among HIV-1-infected pregnant women in the USAJames J Goedert
Viral Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
AIDS 17:425-33. 2003..We sought to identify risk factors for infection with the Kaposi's Sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) among pregnant women and to examine a reported association of KSHV with injecting drug use (IDU) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- Colonization or infection with multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii may be an independent risk factor for increased mortalityEffrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas
Clin Infect Dis 43:1224-5. 2006
- EARLY NATURAL HISTORY OF HCV INFECTION AMONG IDUSRonald Hershow; Fiscal Year: 2006..During the course of the study, all patients will be referred to care at the University of Illinois Medical Center Digestive Disease and Liver Center. Biopsies conducted during normal care will also be used for analysis. ..