Tarek I Hassanein
Affiliation: University of California
- Introduction to the Hepatic Encephalopathy Scoring Algorithm (HESA)Tarek I Hassanein
Department of Medicine, Hepatology Neurobehavioral Research Program, UCSD Liver Center, University of California, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 8707, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:529-38. 2008..The results also suggest HESA may be more sensitive to mental status impairment in the middle grades of HE than WHC. These findings suggest HESA holds promise as a multi-method approach to grading all levels of HE...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in liver disease and organ transplantationTarek Hassanein
Department of Medicine, UCSD School of Medicine, Hepatology, and Liver Transplant Service, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Mitochondrion 4:609-20. 2004..Mitochondria dysfunction is implicated in most liver disease and in early graft dysfunction after liver transplantation. This review will address the role of mitochondria in liver disease...
- Performance of the hepatic encephalopathy scoring algorithm in a clinical trial of patients with cirrhosis and severe hepatic encephalopathyTarek Hassanein
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8423, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1392-400. 2009..The grading of hepatic encephalopathy (HE) is based on a combination of indicators that reflect the state of consciousness, intellectual function, changes in behavior, and neuromuscular alterations seen in patients with liver failure...
- Randomized controlled study of extracorporeal albumin dialysis for hepatic encephalopathy in advanced cirrhosisTarek I Hassanein
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92103 8707, USA
Hepatology 46:1853-62. 2007..9%; median, 0%) (P = 0.044) and was reached faster and more frequently than in the SMT group (P = 0.045). Subjects receiving ECAD tolerated treatment well with no unexpected adverse events...
- The impact of peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin combination therapy on health-related quality of life in chronic hepatitis CTarek Hassanein
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Hepatol 40:675-81. 2004..We examined the impact of these treatments on health related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Implications of hepatitis C virus infection for behavioral symptoms and activities of daily livingCarolina Posada
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 32:637-44. 2010..These results show that a subset of HCV-infected individuals report clinically elevated behavioral symptoms. Clinical implications for the assessment and management of elevated behavioral symptoms in HCV are discussed...
- Neuropsychological test performance in patients co-infected with hepatitis C virus and HIVWilliam Perry
Hepatology Neurobehavioral Research Program, University of California, San Diego, CA 92103 8218, USA
AIDS 19:S79-84. 2005..To determine the effect of co-infection on neuropsychological performance in relatively healthy hepatitis C virus (HCV)-alone patients when compared with HCV/HIV-co-infected patients...
- Cognitive dysfunction in chronic hepatitis C: a reviewWilliam Perry
Department of Psychiatry, Hepatology Neurobehavioral Research Program, UCSD Liver Center, University of California, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 8707, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:307-21. 2008..Implications of these findings and directions for future work are discussed...
- Neuropsychological impairment in patients with chronic hepatitis CRobin C Hilsabeck
University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Hepatology 35:440-6. 2002..Future studies need to determine the effect of this decrease in cognitive function on quality of life...
- Role of growth factors in the treatment of patients with HIV/HCV coinfection and patients with recurrent hepatitis C following liver transplantationR Todd Fredrick
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego 92103 8707, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:S14-22. 2005..Further study of growth factors as a means to increase sustained virologic response rates and maintain adequate dosing and duration of interferon and ribavirin therapy in these patient populations is needed...
- Impairments in fine-motor coordination and speed of information processing predict declines in everyday functioning in hepatitis C infectionOfilio Vigil
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92103, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 30:805-15. 2008....
- The molecular adsorbents recycling system as a liver support system based on albumin dialysis: a summary of preclinical investigations, prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial, and clinical experience from 19 centersJan Stange
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, California 92103 8413, USA
Artif Organs 26:103-10. 2002..MARS has been used in 26 patients with acute liver failure or primary graft dysfunction. Nineteen centers reporting on 103 patients have shown that MARS treatment is safe, easy to handle, feasible, and effective...
- Main portal vein access in transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt procedures: use of three-dimensional ultrasound to ensure safetySteven C Rose
Department of Radiology, University of California San Diego Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8756, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:267-73. 2002....
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound as a predictor of treatment efficacy within 2 weeks after transarterial chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinomaYuko Kono
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103 8756, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:57-65. 2007..To determine whether contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) can aid in assessing treatment efficacy within the first 2 weeks after transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Liver fibrosis: noninvasive diagnosis with double contrast material-enhanced MR imagingDiego A Aguirre
Departments of Radiology, Pathology, and Medicine, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, 200 W Arbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92103 8756, USA
Radiology 239:425-37. 2006..To retrospectively evaluate the accuracy of double contrast material-enhanced (hereafter double-enhanced) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging depiction of hepatic fibrosis, with histopathologic analysis findings as the reference standard...
- Cognitive functioning and psychiatric symptomatology in patients with chronic hepatitis CRobin C Hilsabeck
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 9:847-54. 2003....
- Biopsychosocial predictors of fatigue in chronic hepatitis CRobin C Hilsabeck
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th Street, STOP 8321, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
J Psychosom Res 58:173-8. 2005..The objective of this study was to investigate the relationship of biopsychosocial variables to fatigue in patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) with the goal of identifying areas of possible intervention...
- Effect of interferon-alpha on cognitive functioning in patients with chronic hepatitis CRobin C Hilsabeck
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 11:16-22. 2005..Additional research is needed to replicate these findings and to explore risk factors for susceptibility to IFN-alpha-induced effects...
- Once-weekly epoetin alfa improves anemia and facilitates maintenance of ribavirin dosing in hepatitis C virus-infected patients receiving ribavirin plus interferon alfaDouglas T Dieterich
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:2491-9. 2003....
- Delivery of radiofrequency ablation probes to the targeted liver malignancy: using all the players on the fieldSteven C Rose
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:1060-1. 2002