Karen L Hanson
Affiliation: University of California
- Neurocognitive impairments in MDMA and other drug users: MDMA alone may not be a cognitive risk factorKaren L Hanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 32:337-49. 2010..MDMA leads to serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT) neurotoxicity and has been linked to cognitive impairments. It remains unclear whether these impairments are due to MDMA versus other drug use...
- Adolescent marijuana users have elevated risk-taking on the balloon analog risk taskKaren L Hanson
VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, USA Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Psychopharmacol 28:1080-7. 2014..Given the involvement of the pre-frontal cortex in both risk-taking and executive functioning, we also examined whether risk-taking was associated with measures of executive functioning...
- Reward-related decision-making deficits and elevated impulsivity among MDMA and other drug usersKaren L Hanson
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 96:99-110. 2008..Moreover, few studies have examined reward-related cognitive processes. Our aim was to examine reward-related decision-making and impulsivity among MDMA users while controlling for polydrug use via appropriate comparison groups...
- Hippocampal volumes in adolescents with and without a family history of alcoholismKaren L Hanson
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36:161-7. 2010..However, differences in hippocampal volume may be due to risk factors such as a family history (FH) of alcoholism. We examined hippocampal volumes in youth with and without a FH of alcoholism prior to the initiation of alcohol use...
- Longitudinal study of cognition among adolescent marijuana users over three weeks of abstinenceKaren L Hanson
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive 116B, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Addict Behav 35:970-6. 2010..In this longitudinal study, we characterized neurocognitive changes among marijuana-using adolescents across the first three weeks of abstinence...
- Prefrontal cortex morphometry in abstinent adolescent marijuana users: subtle gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Addict Biol 14:457-68. 2009..Future research will measure PFC gray and white matter separately and follow boys and girls over adolescence to examine the influence of MJ use on neurodevelopment...
- Neuropsychological functioning in adolescent marijuana users: subtle deficits detectable after a month of abstinenceKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and Psychology Department, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:807-20. 2007..It is possible that frequent marijuana use during adolescence may negatively influence neuromaturation and cognitive development...
- Changes in neuropsychological functioning over 10 years following adolescent substance abuse treatmentKaren L Hanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, La Jolla, CA 92093 0109, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 25:127-42. 2011..Higher levels of AOD withdrawal symptoms may signify greater neuropsychological impairment, reflecting potential neurotoxic effects of AOD use...
- Problem alcohol use in veterans with mild traumatic brain injury: Associations with cognitive performance and psychiatric symptomsKaren L Hanson
a VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 38:1115-30. 2016....
- Prefrontal cortex volumes in adolescents with alcohol use disorders: unique gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:386-94. 2008..This study examined PFC volumes in male and female adolescents with AUD who did not meet criteria for comorbid mood or attention disorders...
- Predictors of cognitive and physical fatigue in post-acute mild-moderate traumatic brain injuryDawn M Schiehser
a Research and Psychology Services, VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA, USA
Neuropsychol Rehabil . 2016..Findings provide potential symptom targets for interventions aimed at ameliorating fatigue, and further underscore the importance of assessing and treating fatigue as a multi-dimensional symptom following TBI...
- Cognitive fatigue is associated with reduced anterior internal capsule integrity in veterans with history of mild to moderate traumatic brain injuryAlexandra L Clark
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University University of California, San Diego SDSU UCSD, San Diego, CA, USA
Brain Imaging Behav . 2016..These findings build upon those from existing functional neuroimaging studies in those with history of TBI, providing further evidence for the neural basis of cognitive fatigue in head injured adults...
- Heavy alcohol use, marijuana use, and concomitant use by adolescents are associated with unique and shared cognitive decrementsJennifer L Winward
1Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 20:784-95. 2014....
- Changes in emotional reactivity and distress tolerance among heavy drinking adolescents during sustained abstinenceJennifer L Winward
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 38:1761-9. 2014..This study utilized the Paced Auditory Serial Attention Test - Computerized Version (PASAT-C) to examine affective reactivity, cognitive performance, and distress tolerance during early abstinence among heavy drinking adolescents...
- Adolescent heavy episodic drinking: neurocognitive functioning during early abstinenceJennifer L Winward
1 Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 20:218-29. 2014..These findings suggest alcohol-related influences on several underlying brain systems that may predate the onset of alcohol abuse or dependence or take longer than 4 weeks to recover...
- Neuropsychiatric Predictors of Post-Injury Headache After Mild-Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury in VeteransJessica Bomyea
Research and Psychology Services, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Headache 56:699-710. 2016....
- Follow-up study of anxiety disorder and alcohol dependence in comorbid alcoholism treatment patientsMatt G Kushner
Department of Psychiatry, Fairview Riverside Hospital, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55454, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1432-43. 2005..We also explored the prospective associations of specific anxiety syndromes (and depression) with drinking and anxiety outcomes...
- Neurocognitive function in users of MDMA: the importance of clinically significant patterns of useKaren L Hanson
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Psychol Med 34:229-46. 2004..Use of MDMA (ecstasy), a serotonin neurotoxin, has been associated with memory impairment and psychological dysfunction. This study examined cognitive functioning in abstinent MDMA users and MDMA-naive controls...