Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Cultural challenges to engaging patients in shared decision makingSarah T Hawley
Professor of Medicine and Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan and Research Investigator, Ann Arbor VA Center for Clinical Management Research, 2800 Plymouth Road, 4th Floor, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States Electronic address
Patient Educ Couns 100:18-24. 2017..In this commentary, we summarize some of the challenges and pose points for consideration regarding how to move toward more culturally appropriate shared decision-making...
- Recurrence risk perception and quality of life following treatment of breast cancerSarah T Hawley
Division of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat . 2016..g., numeric or descriptive). We sought to evaluate the association between overestimation of risk of distant recurrence of breast cancer and key patient-reported outcomes, including quality of life and worry...
- Evaluating a Decision Aid for Improving Decision Making in Patients with Early-stage Breast CancerSarah T Hawley
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 2800 Plymouth Road, 4th Floor, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109, USA
Patient 9:161-9. 2016..Early-stage breast cancer patients face a series of complex treatment decisions, with the first typically being choice of locoregional treatment. There is a need for tools to support patients in this decision-making process...
- Managed care patients' preferences, physician recommendations, and colon cancer screeningSarah Hawley
University of Michigan, North Campus Research Complex, 2800 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 E mail
Am J Manag Care 20:555-61. 2014..Physicians may have better success in getting patients to screen if they consider preferences for test attributes. ..
- Racial/ethnic disparities in knowledge about risks and benefits of breast cancer treatment: does it matter where you go?Sarah T Hawley
Division of General Medicine, University of Michigan Health System and Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, 300 N Ingalls Room 7C27, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1366-87. 2008..To evaluate the association between provider characteristics and treatment location and racial/ethnic minority patients' knowledge of breast cancer treatment risks and benefits...
- Preferences for colorectal cancer screening among racially/ethnically diverse primary care patientsSarah T Hawley
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine and Ann Arbor VA Healthcare System, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Med Care 46:S10-6. 2008..This study used conjoint analysis to describe variation in CRC screening preferences among racially/ethnically diverse primary care patients...
- The impact of the format of graphical presentation on health-related knowledge and treatment choicesSarah T Hawley
Division of General Medicine, Center for Behavioral and Decision Sciences in Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, United States, United States
Patient Educ Couns 73:448-55. 2008..To evaluate the ability of six graph formats to impart knowledge about treatment risks/benefits to low and high numeracy individuals...
- Surgeon-level variation in patients' appraisals of their breast cancer treatment experiencesSarah T Hawley
Division of General Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Center for Clinical Management Research, Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:7-14. 2013..The purpose of this study is to examine surgeon-level variation in patient appraisals of their breast cancer care experiences...
- Latina patient perspectives about informed treatment decision making for breast cancerSarah T Hawley
Division of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0429, USA
Patient Educ Couns 73:363-70. 2008..To evaluate Latina breast cancer patient perspectives regarding informed decision making related to surgical treatment decision making for breast cancer...
- Receipt of delayed breast reconstruction after mastectomy: do women revisit the decision?Amy K Alderman
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1748-56. 2011..Virtually nothing is known about receipt of reconstruction after initial cancer therapy and why treatment might be delayed...
- Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy on long-term employment of survivors of early-stage breast cancerReshma Jagsi
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Cancer 120:1854-62. 2014..The short-term impact of chemotherapy receipt on employment has been demonstrated, but the long-term impact merits further research...
- Social and Clinical Determinants of Contralateral Prophylactic MastectomySarah T Hawley
Medical School, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor1VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan3School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
JAMA Surg 149:582-9. 2014..Yet, there are few large survey studies of factors that affect women's decisions for this surgical treatment option...
- Patient-reported Quality of Life and Satisfaction With Cosmetic Outcomes After Breast Conservation and Mastectomy With and Without Reconstruction: Results of a Survey of Breast Cancer SurvivorsReshma Jagsi
University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY The Swan Center for Plastic Surgery, Alpharetta, GA Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA and Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Surg 261:1198-206. 2015..We sought to evaluate long-term quality of life and cosmetic outcomes after different locoregional management approaches, as perceived by patients themselves...