Affiliation: University of California
- Rapid annexin-V labeling in synaptosomesKaren H Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing and Brain Research Institute, Box 956919, Factor Building, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neurochem Int 44:125-31. 2004..These data demonstrate that PS externalization and caspase activation occur rapidly in this widely used neurochemical preparation...
- Quantitative characterization of crude synaptosomal fraction (P-2) components by flow cytometryK H Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing, Los Angeles, California 90095 6919, USA
J Neurosci Res 61:186-92. 2000..These results suggest that flow cytometry may be used to take advantage of the increased viability, yield, and convenience of the P-2 fraction for studies of nerve terminal function...
- Increased cholesterol in Abeta-positive nerve terminals from Alzheimer's disease cortexKaren Hoppens Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neurobiol Aging 28:8-17. 2007..These results suggest that Abeta accumulation in synaptic terminals may underly dysfunction prior to or independent of extracellular amyloid deposition...
- Synaptic changes in Alzheimer's disease: increased amyloid-beta and gliosis in surviving terminals is accompanied by decreased PSD-95 fluorescenceKaren Hoppens Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing and Brain Research Institute, Box 956919 Factor Bldg, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
Am J Pathol 165:1809-17. 2004....
- Enrichment of presynaptic and postsynaptic markers by size-based gating analysis of synaptosome preparations from rat and human cortexKaren H Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing and Brain Research Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Cytometry A 60:90-6. 2004....
- Plasma methionine sulfoxide in persons with familial Alzheimer's disease mutationsJohn M Ringman
Mary S Easton Center for Alzheimer s Disease Research, Department of Neurology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7334, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 33:219-25. 2012..We asked if consequently, oxidation of methionine residues to methionine sulfoxide (MetO) was increased in plasma proteins of persons carrying familial AD (FAD) mutations...
- Apolipoprotein E enhances uptake of soluble but not aggregated amyloid-beta protein into synaptic terminalsKaren H Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing and Brain Research Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 6919, USA
J Neurochem 84:1442-51. 2003..These results suggest that complex formation with apoE enhances internalization of soluble Abeta uptake into terminals...
- Caspase inhibition protects nerve terminals from in vitro degradationKaren H Gylys
UCLA School of Nursing, Brain Research Institute, Box 956919, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Neurochem Res 27:465-72. 2002..These results indicate activation of both caspase and calpain in the P-2 fraction and suggest a role for these cysteine proteases in the in vitro degradation of nerve terminals...
- Smokers at higher risk for undetected antibody for oncogenic human papillomavirus type 16 infectionDorothy J Wiley
School of Nursing, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:915-20. 2006..To determine the association between tobacco smoking and serologic evidence of human papillomavirus type 16 (HPV16)-specific antibodies among HPV16 DNA-positive women...
- Smoking enhances risk for new external genital warts in menDorothy J Wiley
Division of Primary Care, School of Nursing, University of California at Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:1215-34. 2009..Multivariate analyses showed smoking, prior episodes of EGWs, HIV infection and CD4+ T-lymphocyte count among the infected, each differentially influenced the risk for new EGWs...
- Biochemical, neuropathological, and neuroimaging characteristics of early-onset Alzheimer's disease due to a novel PSEN1 mutationJohn M Ringman
Mary S Easton Center for Alzheimer s Disease Research, UCLA Department of Neurology, Los Angeles, CA, United States
Neurosci Lett 487:287-92. 2011..We describe biochemical, imaging, and neuropathological changes in a pedigree with a novel PSEN1 mutation. This allows us to validate the pathogenicity of this mutation and the indices used to assess AD...
- Cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers and proximity to diagnosis in preclinical familial Alzheimer's diseaseJohn M Ringman
Mary S Easton Center for Alzheimer s Disease Research at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 33:1-5. 2012..Changes in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) levels of 42-amino-acid β-amyloid (Aβ(42)), total tau protein (t-tau) and phosphorylated tau at residue 181 (p-tau(181)) during this state are incompletely characterized...
- Co-localization of amyloid beta and tau pathology in Alzheimer's disease synaptosomesJeffrey A Fein
School of Nursing, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Sepulveda Veterans Administration Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90095 6919, USA
Am J Pathol 172:1683-92. 2008..0001). These results showing overlapping Abeta and tau pathology are consistent with a model in which both synaptic loss and dysfunction are linked to a synaptic amyloid cascade within the synaptic compartment...