B J Guthrie
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Girls in the juvenile justice system: leave no girl's health un-addressedBarbara J Guthrie
University of Michigan, School of Nursing Women s Studies, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0482, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 17:414-23. 2002....
- Moving beyond the trickle-down approach: addressing the unique disparate health experiences of adolescents of colorBarbara J Guthrie
Nursing and Women s Studies Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 11:3-13. 2006..The purpose of this paper is to identify the shortcomings of our state of knowledge regarding adolescent health disparities and argue for the use of an inter-sectional, contextually embedded understanding of healthcare experiences...
- Bridging health care disparities: addressing unmet needs of women of colorBarbara Guthrie
Nursing and Women s Studies, University of Michigan, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 34:385. 2005
- Ebb and flow when navigating adolescence: predictors of daily hassles among African-American adolescent girlsBarbara J Guthrie
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 7:143-52. 2002..To examine the nature of daily hassles as perceived by African-American adolescent females...
- African American girls' smoking habits and day-to-day experiences with racial discriminationBarbara J Guthrie
University of Michigan School of Nursing, Ann Arbor 48109 0482, USA
Nurs Res 51:183-90. 2002..Few studies have examined the relationship between racial discrimination and specific health risks...
- Using cognitive theory to improve nurse practitioners' anticipatory guidance with contraceptive pill usersB J Guthrie
University of Michigan, School of Nursing, 400 N Ingalls, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0482, USA
J Community Health Nurs 18:223-34. 2001..Qualitative results are reported here, and potential implications are made for nurse practitioners' anticipatory guidance related to contraceptive use...
- Dealing with daily hassles: smoking and African-American adolescent girlsB J Guthrie
University of Michigan School of Nursing, 400 North Ingalls, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Adolesc Health 29:109-15. 2001..To examine cigarette use and its relationship to daily life hassles in an urban sample of African-American adolescent girls...
- A substance use prevention framework: considering the social context for African American girlsB J Guthrie
University of Michigan, School of Nursing, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0482, USA
Public Health Nurs 17:363-73. 2000..Public health nurses (PHNs) are uniquely positioned to use this framework in their work with African American adolescent girls, specifically, and in general with other ethnically diverse groups...
- An intergenerational approach to understanding Taiwanese American adolescent girls' and their mothers' perceptions about sexual healthTsui Sui Annie Kao
Eastern Michigan University, School of Nursing, 332 Marshall Building, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
J Fam Nurs 13:312-32. 2007..Implications are that maternal involvement should be increased and further studies conducted to understand mother-daughter relationships, their pattern of sexual-related communicating, and expectations...
- An integrative review on breast cancer screening practice and correlates among Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and Asian Indian American womenTsu Yin Wu
School of Nursing, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197, USA
Health Care Women Int 26:225-46. 2005....
- Adolescents' experiences of childbirth: contrasts with adultsLisa Kane Low
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 48:192-8. 2003..The results provide an entrée into understanding unique characteristics of giving birth as an adolescent and potential roles health care providers can play to promote a positive experience...
- Early adolescents' sexual behaviorsC P Porter
Child Adolescent Health Behavior Research Center, University of Michigan School of Nursing, Ann Arbor 48109 0482, USA
Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 22:129-42. 1999..Pediatric nurses can be leaders in providing the necessary counseling and education to young adolescents, their families, and their communities...
- Testing a model: a developmental perspective of adolescent male sexualityLaureen H Smith
Oakland University School of Nursing, Rochester, MI, USA
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 10:124-38. 2005..This study tested a model of adolescent male sexuality and evaluated its usefulness for predicting sexual behaviors among a diverse sample...
- Mental health inequities: conceptual and methodological implicationsBarbara J Guthrie
Yale University School of Nursing, New Haven, CT 06536 0740, USA
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 21:234-5. 2007
- An inconvenient truth: the cumulative influence of childhood poverty on health across the lifespanBarbara J Guthrie
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 12:213-4. 2007