Mats G L Gustafsson
Affiliation: University of California
- Phase retrieval for high-numerical-aperture optical systemsBridget M Hanser
Graduate Group in Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Opt Lett 28:801-3. 2003..Availability of pupil function information will facilitate new approaches to aberration correction in such systems...
- Nonlinear structured-illumination microscopy: wide-field fluorescence imaging with theoretically unlimited resolutionMats G L Gustafsson
Department of Physiology and Program in Bioengineering, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 2532, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:13081-6. 2005..Experimental results show that a 2D point resolution of <50 nm is possible on sufficiently bright and photostable samples...
- I5S: wide-field light microscopy with 100-nm-scale resolution in three dimensionsLin Shao
Keck Advanced Microscopy Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Biophys J 94:4971-83. 2008..These two effects combine to produce near-isotropic resolution. Experimental images of test samples and biological specimens confirm the theoretical predictions...
- Three-dimensional resolution doubling in wide-field fluorescence microscopy by structured illuminationMats G L Gustafsson
Department of Physiology and Program in Bioengineering, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Biophys J 94:4957-70. 2008..The method has been demonstrated on both test objects and biological specimens, and has produced the first light microscopy images of the synaptonemal complex in which the lateral elements are clearly resolved...
- Extended resolution fluorescence microscopyM G Gustafsson
Department of Biochemistry, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0448, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 9:627-34. 1999..Several such techniques have been definitively demonstrated for the first time during the past year...
- Surpassing the lateral resolution limit by a factor of two using structured illumination microscopyM G Gustafsson
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, California 94143 0448, USA
J Microsc 198:82-7. 2000..Unlike confocal microscopy, the resolution improvement is achieved with no need to discard any of the emission light. The method produces images of strikingly increased clarity compared to both conventional and confocal microscopes...
- Nonlinear structured-illumination microscopy with a photoswitchable protein reveals cellular structures at 50-nm resolutionE Hesper Rego
Graduate Group in Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E135-43. 2012..As a result, nonlinear structured-illumination microscopy is now a biologically compatible superresolution imaging method...
- Super-resolution video microscopy of live cells by structured illuminationPeter Kner
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, San Francisco, California, USA
Nat Methods 6:339-42. 2009..We demonstrate the microscope by video imaging of tubulin and kinesin dynamics in living Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells in the total internal reflection mode...
- Subdiffraction multicolor imaging of the nuclear periphery with 3D structured illumination microscopyLothar Schermelleh
Center for Integrated Protein Science, Department of Biology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, 82152 Planegg Martinsried, Germany
Science 320:1332-6. 2008..Multicolor 3D-SIM opens new and facile possibilities to analyze subcellular structures beyond the diffraction limit of the emitted light...