W T Greenough
Affiliation: University of Illinois
- Synaptic regulation of protein synthesis and the fragile X proteinW T Greenough
Department of Psychology, and Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, 405 North Mathews, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:7101-6. 2001..This finding suggests that FMRP may be required for the normal processes of maturation and elimination to occur in cerebral cortical development...
- Synaptogenesis and dendritic growth in the cortex opposite unilateral sensorimotor cortex damage in adult rats: a quantitative electron microscopic examinationT A Jones
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Brain Res 733:142-8. 1996..Based on previous findings of a behavioral relationship with increased dendritic arborization, these changes may be related to lesion-induced compensatory changes in the use of the non-impaired (ipsilateral to the lesion) forelimb...
- Synaptic plasticity in cortical systemsA Y Klintsova
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, 405 North Mathews Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 9:203-8. 1999..An emerging view of synaptic plasticity suggests that local neurotrophin action and synaptically associated protein synthesis may promote synaptic remodelling and changes in receptor expression or activation...
- Fragile X mental retardation protein is translated near synapses in response to neurotransmitter activationI J Weiler
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:5395-400. 1997..We suggest that rapid production of FMRP near synapses in response to activation may be important for normal maturation of synaptic connections...
- Therapeutic effects of complex motor training on motor performance deficits induced by neonatal binge-like alcohol exposure in rats . I. Behavioral resultsA Y Klintsova
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, 405 N Mathews Ave, Urbana IL 61801, USA
Brain Res 800:48-61. 1998..These results suggest that complex motor skill learning improves some of the motor performance deficits produced by postnatal exposure to alcohol and can potentially serve as a model for rehabilitative intervention...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor-initiated translocation of protein kinase p90rsk to polyribosomes: a possible factor regulating synaptic protein synthesisF Angenstein
Department of Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:15078-83. 1998..Thus metabotropic glutamate receptor stimulation could induce synaptic activity-dependent translation via translocation of p90rsk to ribosomes...
- Therapeutic motor training ameliorates cerebellar effects of postnatal binge alcoholA Y Klintsova
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 22:125-32. 2000..Using unbiased stereological morphological techniques, rehabilitated SC and AE animals were found to exhibit significantly more parallel fiber synapses per Purkinje cell in the paramedian lobule...
- Abnormal dendritic spine characteristics in the temporal and visual cortices of patients with fragile-X syndrome: a quantitative examinationS A Irwin
Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Am J Med Genet 98:161-7. 2001....
- Induction of multiple synapses by experience in the visual cortex of adult ratsT A Jones
Department of Psychology, Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 68:13-20. 1997..This apparent tendency to reutilize presynaptic processes may indicate a constraint upon the formation of neural circuitry and a fundamental form of plastic synaptic change...
- Abnormal dendritic spines in fragile X knockout mice: maturation and pruning deficitsT A Comery
Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:5401-4. 1997..Moreover, spine density along the apical dendrite was greater in the knockout mice, which may reflect impaired developmental organizational processes of synapse stabilization and elimination or pruning...
- Prolonged exercise induces angiogenesis and increases cerebral blood volume in primary motor cortex of the ratR A Swain
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, 61801, Urbana, IL, USA
Neuroscience 117:1037-46. 2003..These changes are chronic and observable even in the anesthetized animal and are measurable using noninvasive techniques...
- Fetal alcohol effects: mechanisms and treatmentE P Riley
Center for Behavioral Teratology EPR, JDT, Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92120, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25:110S-116S. 2001..Hungund; and (4) Fetal alcohol exposure alters the wiring of serotonin system at mid-gestation, by F. Zhou, Y. Sari, Charles Goodlett, T. Powrozek, and Ting-Kai Li...