Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Epidemiology of musculoskeletal disorders among computer users: lesson learned from the role of posture and keyboard useFred Gerr
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, 100 Oakdale Campus, 140 IREH, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:25-31. 2004..Overall, the literature shows that daily or weekly hours of computer use is more consistently associated with hand and arm MSDs than with neck and shoulder MSDs...
- High pesticide exposure events and central nervous system function among pesticide applicators in the Agricultural Health StudySarah E Starks
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, University of Iowa Research Park, 140 IREH, Iowa City, IA 52242 5000, USA
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 85:505-15. 2012..The objective of this investigation was to examine the association between ever having an HPEE and CNS function among licensed pesticide applicators enrolled in the Agricultural Health Study (AHS)...
- Effects of common agricultural tasks on measures of hearing lossMichael J Humann
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Ind Med 55:904-16. 2012..Among agricultural populations, hearing loss caused by excessive noise exposure is common. However, examinations of associations between exposure to agricultural tasks and hearing loss are limited...
- Variability in muscle activity and wrist motion measurements among workers performing non-cyclic workNathan B Fethke
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 9:25-35. 2012..g., more than 1 hr) in future epidemiologic investigations of associations between exposure to physical risk factors and upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders...
- Comparison of biomechanical loading during use of conventional stud welding equipment and an alternate systemNathan B Fethke
University of Iowa, Occupational and Environmental Health, UI Research Park, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Appl Ergon 42:725-34. 2011..The alternate system appears to be effective in reducing exposure to extreme trunk flexion among stud welders. Continued development of the system should explore features designed to reduce shoulder forces and improve productivity...
- Bootstrap exploration of the duration of surface electromyography sampling in relation to the precision of exposure estimationNathan B Fethke
corrected East Tennessee State University, corrected Johnson City, Tennessee, USA corrected
Scand J Work Environ Health 33:358-67. 2007..This study examined the effect of sampling duration, in units of work cycles, on the precision of estimates of exposure to forceful exertion obtained with surface electromyography (EMG)...
- Keyboard use and musculoskeletal outcomes among computer usersFred Gerr
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, 100 Oakdale Campus, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Occup Rehabil 16:265-77. 2006....
- A comparison of instrumentation methods to estimate thoracolumbar motion in field-based occupational studiesMark C Schall
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA Electronic address
Appl Ergon 48:224-31. 2015....
- Effect of ergonomics training on agreement between expert and nonexpert ratings of the potential for musculoskeletal harm in manufacturing tasksNathan B Fethke
From the Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
J Occup Environ Med 55:S82-5. 2013..To evaluate the effect of ergonomics training on non-ergonomists' ability to recognize and characterize the potential for musculoskeletal harm in manufacturing tasks...
- Peripheral nervous system function and organophosphate pesticide use among licensed pesticide applicators in the Agricultural Health StudySarah E Starks
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 5000, USA
Environ Health Perspect 120:515-20. 2012..Evidence is limited that long-term human exposure to organophosphate (OP) pesticides, without poisoning, is associated with adverse peripheral nervous system (PNS) function...
- Workplace interventions to prevent musculoskeletal and visual symptoms and disorders among computer users: a systematic reviewShelley Brewer
The University of Texas, School of Public Health, Southwest Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, Houston, TX, USA
J Occup Rehabil 16:325-58. 2006..The literature examining the effects of workstation, eyewear and behavioral interventions on musculoskeletal and visual symptoms among computer users is large and heterogeneous...
- Job strain and risk of musculoskeletal symptoms among a prospective cohort of occupational computer usersLindsay M Hannan
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Scand J Work Environ Health 31:375-86. 2005..The association between a measure of psychosocial stress, "job strain", and incident neck-shoulder and arm-hand musculoskeletal symptoms was investigated among recently hired computer users...
- Surveillance of work-related musculoskeletal disordersFred Gerr
Occup Environ Med 65:298-9. 2008
- Low back pain and the workplaceArun Garg
JAMA 298:403-4; author reply 404. 2007