Affiliation: University of Miami
- Anesthesia for pediatric ocular surgerySteven Gayer
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 900 Northwest 17th Street, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 19:269-78. 2006..In this article, we will review pertinent anesthesia issues within the context of various ophthalmic diseases...
- In Vivo Porcine Model of Venous Air Embolism During Pars Plana VitrectomySteven Gayer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida Electronic address
Am J Ophthalmol 171:139-144. 2016..This was an in vivo demonstration of fatal VAE during PPV to show that air can travel from the suprachoroidal space into the central circulation...
- Perioperative management of the elderly undergoing eye surgerySteven Gayer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Miami s Miller School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, 900 Northwest 17th Street, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 24:687-700, ix. 2008..The role of the internist in the preoperative evaluation and optimization of medical issues before surgery and availability for perioperative consultation and intercession is increasingly essential...
- Local anesthesia with intravenous sedation for surgical repair of selected open globe injuriesIngrid U Scott
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 134:707-11. 2002..To report factors associated with the use of local anesthesia with intravenous sedation (local anesthesia/sedation) rather than general anesthesia for surgery for open globe injuries in adult reparable eyes...
- Ocular decompression devices: liquid mercury balloon vs the tungsten powder balloonSteven Gayer
ABLEH, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 142:500-1. 2006..To determine if an intraocular pressure (IOP)-reducing device containing tungsten powder decreases pressure comparably to the traditional mercury-containing apparatus...
- Targeting operating room inefficiencies in the complex management of vision-threatening diseases in childrenMichael M Vigoda
Department of Anesthesiology, Preoperative Medicine, and Pain Management, University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1611 NW 12th Ave, Room C 301, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1241-3. 2008..To review the effect of interventions designed to decrease turnover time in infants and children (median age, 2.6 years; range, 1 month to 10 years) who required examinations under anesthesia...
- Are ultrasound-guided ophthalmic blocks injurious to the eye? A comparative rabbit model study of two ultrasound devices evaluating intraorbital thermal and structural changesHoward D Palte
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management, Miller School of Medicine, 900 NW 17th Street, Miami FL 33136, USA
Anesth Analg 115:194-201. 2012..Regulating agencies state that ultrasound examinations can be safely undertaken as long as tissue temperatures do not increase >1.5°C above physiological levels...
- Can children undergoing ophthalmologic examinations under anesthesia be safely anesthetized without using an IV line?Michael M Vigoda
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Clin Ophthalmol 5:503-8. 2011..We performed a retrospective study to determine our incidence of IV access placement during examinations under anesthesia (EUA) and the incidence of adverse events that required intraoperative IV access placement...
- Regional anesthesia with monitored anesthesia care for surgical repair of selected open globe injuriesIngrid U Scott
Departments of Ophthalmology and Anesthesiology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 36:122-8. 2005..To investigate clinical features and visual acuity outcomes associated with the use of regional anesthesia with monitored anesthesia care (RA/MAC) versus general anesthesia for open globe injuries in adult reparable eyes...
- Ultrasound-guided ophthalmic regional anesthesiaSteven Gayer
aDepartment of Anesthesiology bDepartment of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 29:655-661. 2016..The present review details the evolution of ultrasound-guided eye blocks, outlines safety issues, and reviews recent studies and editorial opinions...
- Evaluation of distal radial artery cross-sectional internal diameter in pediatric patients using ultrasoundEliane Q S Varga
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 23:460-2. 2013..There are good reasons to measure the RAID in small children prior to insertion of an intra-arterial catheter...
- Monitored anesthesia care with dexmedetomidine: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, multicenter trialKeith A Candiotti
Division of Perioperative Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Anesth Analg 110:47-56. 2010....
- Preemptive sub-tenon's anesthesia for pars plana vitrectomy under general anesthesia: is it effective?William E Smiddy
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 39:438; author reply 438-9. 2008
- Sub-Tenon techniques should be one option among manySteven Gayer
Anesthesiology 100:196; author reply 197. 2004
- Medical consequences of stopping anticoagulant therapy before intraocular surgery or intravitreal injectionsSteve Charles
Retina 27:813-5. 2007
- Comparing anesthetic techniques during ocular surgery in humans and dogsGary D Cass
J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:1372; author reply 1372-3. 2006
- Medical evaluation of patients before ocular surgeryErin N Marcus
Am J Ophthalmol 136:338-9. 2003
- Key components of risk associated with ophthalmic anesthesiaSteven Gayer
Anesthesiology 105:859. 2006