D A Ganz
Affiliation: University of California
- Can structured data fields accurately measure quality of care? The example of fallsDavid A Ganz
Department of Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 49:1411-20. 2012..Performance standards based on automated measurement of quality of care from electronic health records need to account for documentation occurring in nonstructured form...
- Nurse practitioner comanagement for patients in an academic geriatric practiceDavid A Ganz
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, University of California, Los Angeles, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Bldg 220, Rm 313 11G, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:e343-55. 2010..To determine whether nurse practitioner (NP) comanagement can improve the quality of care for 5 chronic conditions in an academic geriatrics practice...
- Key elements of high-quality primary care for vulnerable eldersDavid A Ganz
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System 11G, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:2018-23. 2008..Finally, we discuss how the physical plant, people, workflow management, and community linkages in a primary care practice can be restructured to better serve these patients...
- It takes a village to prevent falls: reconceptualizing fall prevention and management for older adultsD A Ganz
Veterans Affairs, Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Inj Prev 14:266-71. 2008....
- The effect of a quality improvement initiative on the quality of other aspects of health care: the law of unintended consequences?David A Ganz
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Med Care 45:8-18. 2007..Policymakers and clinicians are concerned that initiatives to improve the quality of care for some conditions may have unintended negative consequences for quality in other conditions...
- Will my patient fall?David A Ganz
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, Los Angeles, Calif 90073, USA
JAMA 297:77-86. 2007..However, clinical consensus suggests reserving these interventions for high-risk patients. Limiting fall prevention programs to high-risk patients implies that clinicians must recognize features that predict future falls...
- Quality of osteoarthritis care for community-dwelling older adultsDavid A Ganz
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, V A Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, STAR Program, University of California Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Plaza 3rd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Arthritis Rheum 55:241-7. 2006..To describe the quality of osteoarthritis care provided to community-dwelling elderly patients and to characterize arthritis-related function in these patients...
- Monitoring falls in cohort studies of community-dwelling older people: effect of the recall intervalDavid A Ganz
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:2190-4. 2005..To determine whether the interval over which patients are asked to remember their falls affects fall reporting...
- Cost-effectiveness of recommended nurse staffing levels for short-stay skilled nursing facility patientsDavid A Ganz
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System and University of California, Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 5:35. 2005..However, the cost-effectiveness of increasing staffing to recommended levels is unknown...
- Multimorbidity is associated with better quality of care among vulnerable eldersLillian C Min
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 1687, USA
Med Care 45:480-8. 2007..Possible reasons include competing guidelines for individual conditions, burden of numerous recommendations, and difficulty implementing treatments for multiple conditions...
- Quality indicators for falls and mobility problems in vulnerable eldersJohn T Chang
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, and Speciality Training and Advanced Research Program, University of California at Lost Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:S327-34. 2007
- Practice redesign to improve care for falls and urinary incontinence: primary care intervention for older patientsNeil S Wenger
University of California, Los Angeles, 90024, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:1765-72. 2010..In collaboration with the American College of Physicians, we augmented the Assessing Care of Vulnerable Elders practice redesign intervention to improve falls and UI care...
- Documentation of advance care planning for community-dwelling eldersVictoria Y Yung
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Palliat Med 13:861-7. 2010..We assessed the flow of advance care planning information from patients to medical records in a community sample of older adults to better understand why advance care planning is not more successful...
- Measuring the cost-effectiveness of lipid-lowering drugs in the elderly: the outcomes research and economic analysis components of the PROSPER trialJerry Avorn
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Control Clin Trials 23:757-73. 2002....
- Clozapine use and risk of diabetes mellitusPhilip S Wang
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:236-43. 2002..Additional data from pharmacoepidemiologic studies and randomized controlled trials are needed to exclude the possibility of residual confounding and ensure the appropriate use of this agent...
- Should clozapine continue to be restricted to third-line status for schizophrenia?: a decision-analytic modelPhilip S Wang
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030 Boston, MA 02120, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 7:77-85. 2004..Clozapine is currently restricted to patients who have failed at least two trials of other antipsychotic medications because of concerns that its use as a first-line agent would lead to greater mortality, mainly through agranulocytosis...
- Pharmacogenetic testing in the clinical management of schizophrenia: a decision-analytic modelRoy H Perlis
Pharmacogenomics Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:427-34. 2005..More consistent reporting of test parameters such as sensitivity and specificity would greatly facilitate assessment of future pharmacogenetic studies...
- Correction: cost-effectiveness of statins in older patients with myocardial infarctionDavid A Ganz
Ann Intern Med 136:635. 2002