Gantt P Galloway
Affiliation: University of California
- A nine session manual of motivational enhancement therapy for methamphetamine dependence: adherence and efficacyGantt P Galloway
Addiction Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs . 2007..015). The MET manual was readily learned, and subjects attended a high proportion of therapy sessions with marked reductions in methamphetamine use...
- Imagery scripts and a computerized subtraction stress task both induce stress in methamphetamine users: a controlled laboratory studyKathleen J Garrison
Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, 3555 Cesar Chavez Street, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Subst Abuse 4:53-60. 2010..Because the SST is easily reproducible and requires less time of staff and participants, it may be a useful alternative for measuring stress reactivity in drug users...
- Abuse and therapeutic potential of gamma-hydroxybutyric acidG P Galloway
Drug Detoxification, Rehabilitation, and Aftercare Program, Haight Ashbury Free Clinics, 603 Clayton Street, 94117, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Alcohol 20:263-9. 2000..Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid has established efficacy as an anesthetic agent, and preliminary evidence supports its utility in the treatment of alcohol dependence, opiate dependence, and narcolepsy...
- Treatment-as-usual in the methamphetamine treatment projectG P Galloway
New Leaf Treatment Center, Concord, California 94520, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 32:165-75. 2000..This trial will provide the opportunity to test the effectiveness of a wide range of treatments currently in use in community settings...
- Pharmacokinetics, safety, and tolerability of a depot formulation of naltrexone in alcoholics: an open-label trialGantt P Galloway
Haight Ashbury Free Clinics, San Francisco, USA
BMC Psychiatry 5:18. 2005..Naltrexone is an effective medication for treatment of alcohol dependence, but its efficacy is limited by lack of adherence to the oral dosage form. A long-acting depot formulation of naltrexone may increase adherence...
- A method to quantify illicit intake of drugs from urine: methamphetamineLinghui Li
Addiction Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, California, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338:31-6. 2011..The method reliably detects small, clinically relevant changes in illicit MA intake from random urine specimens, is amenable to deployment in clinical trials, and can be used to quantify patterns of MA abuse...
- Lack of effect of sublingual salvinorin A, a naturally occurring kappa opioid, in humans: a placebo-controlled trialJohn E Mendelson
Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 214:933-9. 2011..Salvinorin A (SA) is a highly selective kappa opioid receptor agonist and the putative psychoactive compound in Salvia divinorum (SD), an increasingly abused hallucinogenic plant...
- MDMA Impairs Response to Water Intake in Healthy VolunteersMatthew J Baggott
Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, Friends Research Institute, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Adv Pharmacol Sci 2016:2175896. 2016..Thus, hyponatremia appears to be a significant risk when hypotonic fluids are consumed during MDMA use. Clinical trials and events where MDMA use is common should anticipate and mitigate this risk. ..
- An examination of drug craving over time in abstinent methamphetamine usersGantt P Galloway
Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Addict 19:510-4. 2010..This study confirms that the sooner MA-dependent people are able to quit using and the longer that they are able to stay abstinent, the more likely it is that their craving for MA will decrease over time. ..
- Estimating the intake of abused methamphetamines using experimenter-administered deuterium labeled R-methamphetamine: selection of the R-methamphetamine doseLinghui Li
Addiction Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ther Drug Monit 32:504-7. 2010..Experience gained from this study also can be applied to the management of other drug dependence problems such as cocaine, cannabinoid, and opiate addiction...
- Psychiatric symptoms in methamphetamine usersJoan E Zweben
East Bay Community Recovery Project, Oakland, CA, USA
Am J Addict 13:181-90. 2004..Findings continue to support the value of integrated treatment for co-occurring conditions, especially the importance of training counseling staff to handle psychotic symptoms when needed...
- Impact of prospectively determined A118G polymorphism on treatment response to injectable naltrexone among methamphetamine-dependent patients: an open-label, pilot studyReshmi Pal
From the Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory RP, JEM, KG, Gy, GPG, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA School of Medicine KF, University of California, San Francisco, CA and Department of Statistics JRC, University of California, Berkeley, CA
J Addict Med 9:130-5. 2015..We conducted a pharmacogenetic trial of sustained release intramuscular naltrexone to examine the role of the A118G single nucleotide polymorphism in MA dependence...
- Addiction to prescription opioids: characteristics of the emerging epidemic and treatment with buprenorphineJohn Mendelson
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, St Luke s Hospital, and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 16:435-41. 2008....
- A simple, novel method for assessing medication adherence: capsule photographs taken with cellular telephonesGantt P Galloway
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Addict Med 5:170-4. 2011..We compared the usefulness and accuracy of a novel measure of adherence, photographs taken by cellular telephones with 2 incumbents: capsule count and the Medication Event Monitoring System (MEMS)...
- Development and Testing of a Smartphone-Based Cognitive/Neuropsychological Evaluation System for Substance AbusersReshmi Pal
a Assistant Research Scientist, Friends Research Institute, Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 48:288-94. 2016..To measure these relationships, we developed an iPhone app (Neurophone) to compare lab and field performance of N-Back, Stop Signal, and Stroop tasks that are sensitive to MA-induced deficits...
- Investigating the mechanisms of hallucinogen-induced visions using 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA): a randomized controlled trial in humansMatthew J Baggott
Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, St Luke s Hospital, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e14074. 2010..Very few serotonergic hallucinogens have been studied in humans in decades, despite widespread use of these drugs and potential relevance of their mechanisms to hallucinations occurring in psychiatric and neurological disorders...
- Development of an acceptance-based coping intervention for alcohol dependence relapse preventionCassandra Vieten
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Subst Abus 31:108-16. 2010..The authors conclude that this acceptance-based intervention seems feasible and holds promise for improving affect and reducing relapse in alcohol-dependent individuals, warranting further research...
- A treatment model for craving identification and managementS Alex Stalcup
New Leaf Treatment Center, 251 Lafayette Circle, Suite 150, Lafayette, CA 94549, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 38:189-202. 2006..The CIM Model is a client-derived approach to achieving and maintaining sobriety based on a process of analyzing craving and managing it with an individualized program of recovery activities...
- Measuring confrontation during recovery from addictionDouglas L Polcin
Haight Ashbury Free Clinics Inc, Research, Education and Training, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Subst Use Misuse 41:369-92. 2006..Additional studies are necessary to establish validity, generalize results to more diverse populations, and assess confrontation at different time points during recovery...
- The case for high-dose motivational enhancement therapyDouglas L Polcin
Haight Ashbury Free Clinics Research, Education, and Training, San Francisco, California 94117, USA
Subst Use Misuse 39:331-43. 2004....
- Preliminary evidence of reduced cognitive inhibition in methamphetamine-dependent individualsRuth Salo
Department of Psychiatry, UC Davis Medical Center, 2230 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Psychiatry Res 111:65-74. 2002..Furthermore, the dissociation between explicit attentional performance and priming effects suggests that some attentional functions are not as affected by long-term methamphetamine use as others...
- Identifying methamphetamine users at risk for major depressive disorder: findings from the methamphetamine treatment project at three-year follow-upSuzette Glasner-Edwards
Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90025, USA
Am J Addict 17:99-102. 2008..These risk factors identify methamphetamine users who may benefit from early interventions for psychiatric symptoms...
- Low N-acetyl-aspartate and high choline in the anterior cingulum of recently abstinent methamphetamine-dependent subjects: a preliminary proton MRS study. Magnetic resonance spectroscopyThomas E Nordahl
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 116:43-52. 2002..The neuronal compromise that these changes reflect may contribute to the attentional deficits and dampened reward system in MD...
- A dissociation in attentional control: evidence from methamphetamine dependenceRuth Salo
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and the Imaging Research Center, University of California Davis 95817, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:310-3. 2005..The goal of this study was to test whether task-shifting, selective inhibition, or both processes were impaired in long-term but currently abstinent methamphetamine-dependent individuals...
- A multi-site comparison of psychosocial approaches for the treatment of methamphetamine dependenceRichard A Rawson
University of California, Los Angeles, Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, USA
Addiction 99:708-17. 2004..The objective of the study was to compare the Matrix Model, a manualized treatment method, with treatment-as-usual (TAU) in eight community out-patient settings in the Western United States...
- Methamphetamine users entering treatment: characteristics of the methamphetamine treatment project sampleDarrell R Christian
Subst Use Misuse 42:2207-22. 2007..Therefore, the relationship between polydrug use and psychopathology in methamphetamine users warrants further investigation...
- Factor analysis of the Alcohol and Drug Confrontation Scale (ADCS)Douglas L Polcin
Alcohol Research Group, Berkeley, CA 94608 1010, United States
Addict Behav 32:2274-80. 2007..80) and (2) External Intensity (alpha=0.63). The two factors accounted for 58% of the variance. The ADCS offers a fresh and broader view of confrontation that can be reliably measured...
- Attentional control and brain metabolite levels in methamphetamine abusersRuth Salo
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Davis, California 95817, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:1272-80. 2007..Methamphetamine abuse is associated with neurotoxicity to frontostriatal brain regions with concomitant deleterious effects on cognitive processes...
- Cognitive function and nigrostriatal markers in abstinent methamphetamine abusersChris Ellyn Johanson
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48207, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 185:327-38. 2006..The present study was designed to further our understanding of changes in brain function in humans that might result from chronic high dose use of MA after at least 3 months of abstinence...
- Methamphetamine users in sustained abstinence: a proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyThomas E Nordahl
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California Davis Medical Center, 4701 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:444-52. 2005....
- Drug court treatment for methamphetamine dependence: treatment response and posttreatment outcomesPatricia Marinelli-Casey
Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 34:242-8. 2008..These findings suggest that drug court supervision coupled with treatment may improve the outcomes of MA-dependent offenders beyond that seen from treatment alone...