John N Galgiani
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Coccidioidomycosis as a common cause of community-acquired pneumoniaLisa Valdivia
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:958-62. 2006..If CAP develops in persons who travel or reside in Coccidioides-endemic regions, diagnostic evaluation should routinely include laboratory evaluation for this organism...
- CoccidioidomycosisJohn N Galgiani
Valley Fever Center for Excellence, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1217-23. 2005
- Coccidioidomycosis: changing perceptions and creating opportunities for its controlJohn N Galgiani
Medical Service 1 111INF, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, 3601 South Sixth Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1111:1-18. 2007..It is suggested in this review that it is time to revisit and possibly change these perceptions if we are to improve our care of patients...
- Vaccines to prevent systemic mycoses: holy grails meet translational realitiesJohn N Galgiani
Valley Fever Center for Excellence, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Infect Dis 197:938-40. 2008
- Localization within a proline-rich antigen (Ag2/PRA) of protective antigenicity against infection with Coccidioides immitis in miceTao Peng
Valley Fever Center for Excellence and Research Program, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Infect Immun 70:3330-5. 2002....
- Improved protection of mice against lethal respiratory infection with Coccidioides posadasii using two recombinant antigens expressed as a single proteinLisa F Shubitz
The Valley Fever Center for Excellence, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Vaccine 24:5904-11. 2006..The chimeric antigen has the practical advantage of offering enhanced protection from multiple components without increasing production costs...
- Protein expression profiling of Coccidioides posadasii by two-dimensional differential in-gel electrophoresis and evaluation of a newly recognized peroxisomal matrix protein as a recombinant vaccine candidateKris I Orsborn
Valley Fever Center for Excellence 1 111 INF, 3601 S 6th Ave, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Infect Immun 74:1865-72. 2006..posadasii. These results demonstrate the utility of proteomic analysis as a point of discovery for protective antigens for possible inclusion in a vaccine candidate to prevent coccidioidomycosis...
- Efficacy of ambruticin analogs in a murine model of coccidioidomycosisLisa F Shubitz
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3467-9. 2006..Two analogs of this compound with greater in vitro potency were tested against lethal murine Coccidioides infection. Both improved the survival of mice over that of controls; one resulted in near-sterilization of infection...
- A Coccidioides posadasii CPS1 Deletion Mutant Is Avirulent and Protects Mice from Lethal InfectionHema P Narra
School of Plant Sciences, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Infect Immun 84:3007-16. 2016..posadasii infection when used as a vaccine, the Δcps1 strain is a promising vaccine candidate for preventing coccidioidomycosis in humans or other animals. ..
- Efficacy of Nikkomycin Z for respiratory coccidioidomycosis in naturally infected dogsLisa F Shubitz
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Med Mycol 51:747-54. 2013..Based on this small study, NikZ shows efficacy to treat naturally acquired coccidioidomycosis and merits further development for trials in humans...
- Recent advances in our understanding of the environmental, epidemiological, immunological, and clinical dimensions of coccidioidomycosisChinh Nguyen
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 26:505-25. 2013..There have been some advances in therapeutics with the increased use of newer azoles. Lastly, there is an overview of the ongoing search for a preventative vaccine...
- Vaccine-induced cellular immune responses differ from innate responses in susceptible and resistant strains of mice infected with Coccidioides posadasiiLisa F Shubitz
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Infect Immun 76:5553-64. 2008....
- Factors and outcomes associated with the decision to treat primary pulmonary coccidioidomycosisNeil M Ampel
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:172-8. 2009..Studies that assess the value of initiating oral antifungal therapy to treat primary pulmonary coccidioidomycosis have not been published previously...
- Nuclear labeling of Coccidioides posadasii with green fluorescent proteinLei Li
Department of Plant Sciences, Forbes Bldg, Room 303, 1140 E South Campus Dr, P O Box 210036, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1111:198-207. 2007....
- Coccidioides posadasii contains single chitin synthase genes corresponding to classes I to VIIM Alejandra Mandel
Department of Plant Sciences, Division of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0036, USA
Fungal Genet Biol 43:775-88. 2006..Because C. posadasii contains single members of the seven classes of CHSes found in fungi, it is a good model to investigate the putatively different roles of these genes in fungal growth and differentiation...
- Pharmacokinetics of nikkomycin Z after single rising oral dosesDavid E Nix
University of Arizona College of Pharmacy, P O Box 210 207, Tucson, AZ 85721 0207, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2517-21. 2009..1 to 2.5 h and was independent of dose. No serious or dose-related adverse events were observed. This study provides a basis for pharmacokinetic simulations and continued studies of nikkomycin Z administered in multiple doses...
- Coccidioides posadasii contains a single 1,3-beta-glucan synthase gene that appears to be essential for growthEllen M Kellner
Valley Fever Center for Excellence, 3601 S Sixth Ave, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Eukaryot Cell 4:111-20. 2005..The heterokaryon appears normal with respect to growth rate and arthroconidium production; however, microscopic examination of strains with DeltaFKS1::hygB alleles revealed abnormal swelling of hyphal elements...
- Spherules derived from Coccidioides posadasii promote human dendritic cell maturation and activationSara O Dionne
Valley Fever Center for Excellence, Tuscon, AZ, USA
Infect Immun 74:2415-22. 2006....
- Protection of mice against Coccidioides immitis intranasal infection by vaccination with recombinant antigen 2/PRALisa Shubitz
Valley Fever Center for Excellence, Medicine and Subspecialties Program, Research Program, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Department of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Infect Immun 70:3287-9. 2002..Weight loss correlated with lethality, but histologic appearance did not. These studies support rAg2/PRA vaccination to prevent coccidioidomycosis...
- The application of proteomic techniques to fungal protein identification and quantificationJames G Rohrbough
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0041, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1111:133-46. 2007..This article will allow investigators to gain a working knowledge of proteomics along with some strengths and weaknesses associated with the techniques presented...
- Evaluation of VT-1161 for Treatment of Coccidioidomycosis in Murine Infection ModelsLisa F Shubitz
School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA Valley Fever Center for Excellence, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 59:7249-54. 2015..Thus, the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of VT-1161 are attractive characteristics for long-term treatment of this serious fungal infection. ..
- Coccidioidomycosis among scholarship athletes and other college students, Arizona, USANicole G Stern
University of Arizona Campus Health Service, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:321-3. 2010..Case rates were higher for scholarship athletes than for other students and paralleled 5x more serologic testing. Our findings underscore the need to routinely test patients for coccidioidomycosis...
- Safety, antigenicity, and efficacy of a recombinant coccidioidomycosis vaccine in cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis)Suzanne M Johnson
D V M M P V M, California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1111:290-300. 2007..Additional experiments may be needed to optimize the vaccination and to confer greater protection against lethal challenge...
- Molecular approaches to the study of Coccidioides immitisRaed O Abuodeh
University of Sharjah, College of Health Sciences, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Int J Med Microbiol 292:373-80. 2002..tigr.org/tdb/tgi/cigi/GenInfo.html). Thus, there seems to be several reasons to expect considerable progress in the coming years...
- Safety, tolerance, and efficacy of posaconazole therapy in patients with nonmeningeal disseminated or chronic pulmonary coccidioidomycosisAntonino Catanzaro
University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:562-8. 2007..Posaconazole is a new azole antifungal with potent activity against Coccidioides species, the causative agent of coccidioidomycosis...
- An epidemic of coccidioidomycosis in Arizona associated with climatic changes, 1998-2001Benjamin J Park
Mycotic Diseases Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1981-7. 2005..Reports of coccidioidomycosis cases in Arizona have increased substantially. We investigated factors associated with the increase...
- CoccidioidomycosisTom M Chiller
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 751 South Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128 2699, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 17:41-57, viii. 2003..Coccidioides, a fungus, is endemic to specific parts of the Western Hemisphere. This article examines the prevalence, pathogenesis and host defense, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of coccidioidomycosis...
- Nikkomycin Z Treatment for CoccidioidomycosisJohn Galgiani; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Host control in CoccidioidomycosisJohn Galgiani; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will also analyze the phenotype, function and cytokine profiles of lymphocyte subsets that respond to antigen-pulsed DC. ..