Angelo L Gaffo
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Management of hyperuricemia and gout in CKDAngelo L Gaffo
Birmingham VA Medical Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 52:994-1009. 2008
- Thrombosis in vasculitisAngelo L Gaffo
Rheumatology Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, AL, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 27:57-67. 2013..The association of thrombosis with other vasculitides such as giant-cell arteritis and levamisole-induced vasculopathy is under investigation...
- A qualitative assessment of internal medicine resident perceptions of graduate medical education following implementation of the 2011 ACGME duty hour standardsChrista R Nevin
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 845 19th Street South, BBRB 220B, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
BMC Med Educ 14:84. 2014..We sought to investigate the impact of these restrictions on graduate medical education among internal medicine residents...
- [Cysticercosis as the main cause of partial seizures in children in Peru]A L Gaffo
Departamento de Medicina Interna, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Rev Neurol 39:924-6. 2004....
- Gout. Hyperuricemia and cardiovascular disease: how strong is the evidence for a causal link?Angelo L Gaffo
Birmingham VA Medical Center, 700 19th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 11:240. 2009..In this review we present recently published data that study the association between hyperuricemia and selected cardiovascular diseases, with a final conclusion about the possibility of this association being causal...
- Diagnostic approach to ANCA-associated vasculitidesAngelo L Gaffo
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham and Birmingham VA Medical Center, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 36:491-506. 2010..The clinical findings at presentation, the role of laboratory and imaging tests, and the importance of tissue diagnosis are presented. In each section, issues relevant to the differential diagnosis of AAV are discussed...
- Serum urate association with hypertension in young adults: analysis from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults cohortAngelo L Gaffo
VA Medical Center, Birmingham, AL, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 72:1321-7. 2013..To determine if serum urate concentration is associated with development of hypertension in young adults...
- Methotrexate is not associated with progression of interstitial lung disease in rheumatoid arthritisAngelo L Gaffo
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 510 20th St S, Faculty Office Tower, Room 830, Birmingham, AL 35294 3408
Arch Intern Med 168:1927-8. 2008
- Association between being African-American, serum urate levels and the risk of developing hyperuricemia: findings from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults cohortAngelo L Gaffo
Birmingham VA Medical Center 700 South 19th Street, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R4. 2012..We tested this hypothesis in a bi-racial cohort of younger African-American and white men and women...
- Developing a provisional definition of flare in patients with established goutAngelo L Gaffo
Birmingham VA Medical Center and University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:1508-17. 2012..Various nonvalidated criteria for disease flare have been used in studies of gout. Our objective was to develop empirical definitions for a gout flare from patient-reported features...
- Drug treatment of hyperuricemia to prevent cardiovascular outcomes: are we there yet?Angelo L Gaffo
Birmingham VA Medical Center, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 12:1-6. 2012....
- Patient-reported outcomes in chronic gout: a report from OMERACT 10Jasvinder A Singh
Medicine Service, Birmingham Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center and Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Rheumatol 38:1452-7. 2011..To summarize the endorsement of measures of patient-reported outcome (PRO) domains in chronic gout at the 2010 Outcome Measures in Rheumatology Meeting (OMERACT 10)...
- Pulmonary manifestations of rheumatoid arthritisUmair A Gauhar
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 3408, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 28:430-40. 2007..This article discusses the most common pulmonary manifestations of RA and their treatment. A discussion about the increasing impact that cigarette smoking is having on RA is also provided...
- Treatment of hyperuricemia in gout: current therapeutic options, latest developments and clinical implicationsSebastian E Sattui
Tinsley Harrison Internal Medicine Residency Program, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis 8:145-59. 2016..These new developments are encouraging, and will hopefully contribute to a more adequate management of hyperuricemia in gout. ..
- The effects of urate lowering therapy on inflammation, endothelial function, and blood pressure (SURPHER) study design and rationaleMichael B Saddekni
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 50:238-44. 2016....
- Comorbidities in patients with crystal diseases and hyperuricemiaSebastian E Sattui
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Alabama, Faculty Office Tower 813, 510 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 40:251-78. 2014..Causality regarding calcium pyrophosphate arthropathy and associated comorbidities is also reviewed. ..