Affiliation: University at Buffalo
- How I see me depends on how I see we: the role of attachment style in social comparisonShira Gabriel
Psychology Department, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 31:1561-72. 2005..Results are discussed in terms of their implications for the nature of the self-concept and the importance of friendships...
- Negative self-synchronization: will I change to be like you when it is bad for me?Shira Gabriel
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 98:857-71. 2010..Implications of these findings for social synchronization processes, the need to belong, and attachment security are discussed...
- Becoming a vampire without being bitten: the narrative collective-assimilation hypothesisShira Gabriel
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Park Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Psychol Sci 22:990-4. 2011..The implications for the importance of narratives, the need to belong to groups, and social surrogacy are discussed...
- No man is an island: the need to belong and dismissing avoidant attachment styleMauricio Carvallo
Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 32:697-709. 2006..The results of these studies suggest that dismissive avoidants do not represent a counterexample to the hypothesis that all human beings have a fundamental need and desire to belong...
- Chicken soup really is good for the soul: "comfort food" fulfills the need to belongJordan D Troisi
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, 14260, USA
Psychol Sci 22:747-53. 2011..e., are secure in attachment style). Implications for social surrogacy, need to belong, embodied cognition, and eating behavior are discussed...
- When you and I are "we," you are not threatening: the role of self-expansion in social comparisonWendi L Gardner
Department of Psychology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 82:239-51. 2002..Additionally, gender differences in chronic relational and collective self-construals moderated the patterns of social comparison in a form similar to that of priming relational and collective self-construals...
- Implicit and explicit measures of sexual orientation attitudes: in group preferences and related behaviors and beliefs among gay and straight menWilliam A Jellison
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 30:629-42. 2004..Implications for assessing attitudes toward sexual orientation and their relations for sexual orientation identity are discussed...
- To prove or to improve? Which motive distorts perceptions of personality controllability?Amani El-Alayli
Psychology Department, Eastern Washington University, WA 99004, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 33:1572-86. 2007..The potential implications of distorted perceptions of trait controllability for both well-being and self-change are discussed...