Susan K Fried
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Leucing weight with a futile cycleSusan K Fried
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine and GRECC, Baltimore VA Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Cell Metab 6:155-6. 2007....
- Sugars, hypertriglyceridemia, and cardiovascular diseaseSusan K Fried
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:873S-880S. 2003....
- Depot-specific regulation of the conversion of cortisone to cortisol in human adipose tissueMi Jeong Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1178-85. 2008..Our main objective was to compare the regulation of cortisol production within omental (Om) and abdominal subcutaneous (Abd sc) human adipose tissue...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha and glucocorticoid synergistically increase leptin production in human adipose tissue: role for p38 mitogen-activated protein kinaseMaria E Trujillo
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 660 West Redwood Street, Howard Hall 428, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1484-90. 2006..TNF increases plasma leptin in humans in vivo, but previous studies showed it decreases leptin in vitro...
- Acute-phase serum amyloid A: an inflammatory adipokine and potential link between obesity and its metabolic complicationsRong Ze Yang
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS Med 3:e287. 2006..However, the molecular and cellular mechanisms that link obesity to chronic inflammation and CVD are poorly understood...
- Acute and chronic regulation of leptin synthesis, storage, and secretion by insulin and dexamethasone in human adipose tissueMi Jeong Lee
Division of Endocrinology, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, 660 West Redwood St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E858-64. 2007....
- Resistance to the antilipolytic effect of insulin in adipocytes of African-American compared to Caucasian postmenopausal womenSusan K Fried
Geriatric Research and Education Clinical Center, Baltimore Veterans Administration Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Lipid Res 51:1193-200. 2010..Overall, these data are consistent with the hypothesis that decreased responsiveness of Abd adipocytes to antilipolytic effectors may contribute to higher FA availability and thereby to racial differences in insulin resistance...
- Feeding and insulin increase leptin translation. Importance of the leptin mRNA untranslated regionsMi Jeong Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 282:72-80. 2007..Our data suggest that insulin derepresses leptin translation by a mechanism that requires both the 5'-UTR and the 3'-UTR and may contribute to the increase in leptin production with feeding...
- Omentin plasma levels and gene expression are decreased in obesityCelia M de Souza Batista
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Diabetes 56:1655-61. 2007..In summary, decreased omentin levels are associated with increasing obesity and insulin resistance. Therefore, omentin levels may be predictive of the metabolic consequences or co-morbidities associated with obesity...
- Integration of hormonal and nutrient signals that regulate leptin synthesis and secretionMi Jeong Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E1230-8. 2009....
- Identification of omentin as a novel depot-specific adipokine in human adipose tissue: possible role in modulating insulin actionRong Ze Yang
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E1253-61. 2006..05) human adipocytes. Omentin increased Akt phosphorylation in the absence and presence of insulin. In conclusion, omentin is a new adipokine that is expressed in omental adipose tissue in humans and may regulate insulin action...
- Altered metabolic responses to intermittent hypoxia in mice with partial deficiency of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alphaJianguo Li
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Physiol Genomics 25:450-7. 2006....
- Effect of thiazolidinediones on glucose and fatty acid metabolism in patients with type 2 diabetesGuenther Boden
Division of Endocrinology Diabetes Metabolism and the General Clinical Research Center, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Metabolism 52:753-9. 2003..We conclude that TZDs have multiple actions and that many, but perhaps not all, can be accounted for by their action on adipose tissue...
- Perilipin expression in human adipose tissues: effects of severe obesity, gender, and depotYanxin Wang
Department of Nutritional Science, Cook College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
Obes Res 11:930-6. 2003..We sought to determine the effects of severe obesity and depot [omental (Om) vs. subcutaneous (Sc)] on perilipin expression in the adipose tissue of individuals...
- Increased systemic and adipose tissue cytokines in patients with HIV-associated lipodystrophyJulia A Johnson
Obesity Research Center, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10025, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E261-71. 2004....
- Thrombospondin-1 is an adipokine associated with obesity, adipose inflammation, and insulin resistanceVijayalakshmi Varma
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, 598 151 LR, 4300 West 7th St, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Diabetes 57:432-9. 2008..We examined the relationship between the expression of thrombospondin (TSP)1, an antiangiogenic factor and regulator of transforming growth factor-beta activity, obesity, adipose inflammation, and insulin resistance...
- Inhibitory effects of grape seed extract on lipasesDiego A Moreno
Biotech Center, Cook College, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901 8520, USA
Nutrition 19:876-9. 2003....
- Retinol binding protein 4 expression in humans: relationship to insulin resistance, inflammation, and response to pioglitazoneAiwei Yao-Borengasser
The Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2590-7. 2007..Retinol binding protein 4 (RBP4) was recently found to be expressed and secreted by adipose tissue, and was strongly associated with insulin resistance...
- Cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript in the arcuate nucleus stimulates lipid metabolism to control body fat accrual on a high-fat dietKatherine E Wortley
The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Regul Pept 117:89-99. 2004..These results suggest that, on a fat-rich diet, this leptin-CART pathway originating in the ARC inhibits excessive body fat accrual by causing a shift from lipid storage toward lipid mobilization...
- Interleukin-6 regulates human adipose tissue lipid metabolism and leptin production in vitroMaria E Trujillo
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5577-82. 2004..We conclude that high local concentrations of IL-6 can modulate leptin production and lipid metabolism in human adipose tissue...
- Human visfatin expression: relationship to insulin sensitivity, intramyocellular lipids, and inflammationVijayalakshmi Varma
The Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, 598 151 LR, 4300 West 7th Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:666-72. 2007..Visfatin (VF) is a recently described adipokine preferentially secreted by visceral adipose tissue (VAT) with insulin mimetic properties...
- Isoproterenol decreases leptin release from rat and human adipose tissue through posttranscriptional mechanismsMatthew R Ricci
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers Univeristy, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E798-804. 2005..Furthermore, the rat does not provide an ideal model to study mechanisms of cellular leptin regulation in humans...
- Multilevel regulation of leptin storage, turnover, and secretion by feeding and insulin in rat adipose tissueMi Jeong Lee
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Lipid Res 47:1984-93. 2006..The insulin-stimulated release of leptin from a preformed intracellular leptin pool may contribute to increases in serum leptin levels after meals...
- Estrogen regulation of adiposity and fuel partitioning. Evidence of genomic and non-genomic regulation of lipogenic and oxidative pathwaysTara M D'Eon
Jean Mayer United States Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Biol Chem 280:35983-91. 2005..Thus, novel genomic and non-genomic actions of E2 promote leanness in OVX mice independently of reduced energy intake...
- Regulatory role for the arginine-nitric oxide pathway in metabolism of energy substratesWenjuan Shi Jobgen
Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Nutr Biochem 17:571-88. 2006....
- Integrative approaches to understanding obesitySUSAN FRIED; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conference will be structured to maximize discussion and to highlight work by new investigators through short talk and poster discussions formats. ..