John J Farrell
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Ureaplasma parvum prosthetic joint infection detected by PCRJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 52:2248-50. 2014..PCR/ESI-MS detected U. parvum in all samples. U. parvum-specific PCR testing was performed on all synovial fluid samples to confirm the U. parvum detection. ..
- "Salvage microbiology": detection of bacteria directly from clinical specimens following initiation of antimicrobial treatmentJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e66349. 2013..1] We describe the application of PCR/ESI-MS for detection of bacteria in original patient specimens that were obtained after administration of antibiotic treatment in an open investigation analysis...
- Identification of Streptococcus intermedius central nervous system infection by use of PCR and electrospray ionization mass spectrometryNisha S Bhatia
Illinois Neurological Institute, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:4160-2. 2012..This unique case confirms S. intermedius pulmonary infection as the source of metastatic CNS infection and reveals the potential of PCR/ESI-MS to detect a streptococcal pathogen not captured by conventional cultures...
- PCR and electrospray ionization mass spectrometry for detection of persistent enterococcus faecalis in cerebrospinal fluid following treatment of postoperative ventriculitisJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Ilinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 51:3464-6. 2013....
- Direct detection of indirect transmission of Streptobacillus moniliformis rat bite fever infectionJoseph R Mackey
Department of Pediatrics, St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 52:2259-61. 2014....
- Salvage microbiology: opportunities and challenges in the detection of bacterial pathogens following initiation of antimicrobial treatmentJohn J Farrell
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Disease, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 723 N E Glen Oak Ave Peoria, IL 61603, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 15:349-60. 2015..Following an exploration of the available data in this field, we discuss the opportunities that the preliminary investigations reveal, as well as the challenges faced with the implementation of these strategies in clinical practice. ..
- Culture negative empyema in a critically ill child: an opportunity for rapid molecular diagnosticsElsa L Vazquez Melendez
Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Illinois School of Medicine, 530 N E Glen Oak Ave, Peoria, IL 61603 USA
BMC Anesthesiol 14:107. 2014..This is the first report of PCR coupled to electrospray ionization mass spectrometry use in the evaluation of complicated community acquired pneumonia in a pediatric patient...
- Rapid identification of Aspergillus terreus from bronchoalveolar lavage fluid by PCR and electrospray ionization with mass spectrometryDhruvangkumar A Modi
Department of Medicine, St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:2529-30. 2012..Ultimately, Aspergillus terreus, an amphotericin-resistant mold, was cultured from bilateral brain abscesses. PCR/ESI-MS correctly identified the mold...