Simon J Evans
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Plasma linoleic acid partially mediates the association of bipolar disorder on self-reported mental health scalesSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, USA Electronic address
J Psychiatr Res 68:61-7. 2015..These findings suggest that plasma LA levels partially mediate the effect of bipolar disorder on self-reported measures of mental health and life functioning...
- Dietary intake and plasma metabolomic analysis of polyunsaturated fatty acids in bipolar subjects reveal dysregulation of linoleic acid metabolismSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, United States Electronic address
J Psychiatr Res 57:58-64. 2014..These findings suggest that specific dietary interventions aimed towards correcting these metabolic disparities may impact health outcomes for individuals with bipolar disorder. ..
- Association of plasma ω-3 and ω-6 lipids with burden of disease measures in bipolar subjectsSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Psychiatr Res 46:1435-41. 2012....
- Fats and factors: lipid profiles associate with personality factors and suicidal history in bipolar subjectsSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29297. 2012....
- Dietary n-3:n-6 fatty acid ratios differentially influence hormonal signature in a rodent model of metabolic syndrome relative to healthy controlsPaul R Burghardt
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, The University of Michigan, MBNI 2028, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 7:53. 2010..Further research is necessary to establish these responses in human populations...
- Dysregulation of the fibroblast growth factor system in major depressionS J Evans
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15506-11. 2004..We also make available the gene-expression profile of all of the other growth factors and growth factor receptors detected in these postmortem samples...
- DNA microarray analysis of functionally discrete human brain regions reveals divergent transcriptional profilesS J Evans
Pritzker Consortium for Severe Psychiatric Disorders, San Francisco, CA, USA
Neurobiol Dis 14:240-50. 2003....
- Gene expression profiling of neurochemically defined regions of the human brain by in situ hybridization-guided laser capture microdissectionRene Bernard
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Neurosci Methods 178:46-54. 2009..Future studies will utilize this approach for gene expression profiling of neurochemically defined regions of postmortem brains collected from mood disorder patients...
- Metabolic syndrome in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia: dietary and lifestyle factors compared to the general populationMichael J Bly
Department of Clinical Social and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Bipolar Disord 16:277-88. 2014....
- Circadian patterns of gene expression in the human brain and disruption in major depressive disorderJun Z Li
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:9950-5. 2013..The description of its breakdown in MDD suggests potentially important molecular targets for treatment of mood disorders...
- Sample matching by inferred agonal stress in gene expression analyses of the brainJun Z Li
Stanford Human Genome Center, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
BMC Genomics 8:336. 2007..This problem is analogous to the one encountered in genetic association studies, where self-reported race and ethnicity are often imprecise proxies for an individual's actual genetic ancestry...
- Combining laser capture microdissection with quantitative real-time PCR: effects of tissue manipulation on RNA quality and gene expressionIlan A Kerman
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Neurosci Methods 153:71-85. 2006..These results demonstrate feasibility of performing accurate semi-quantitative gene expression analyses in LCM samples...
- A pilot study investigating tumor necrosis factor-α as a potential intervening variable of atypical antipsychotic-associated metabolic syndrome in bipolar disorderAlan R Prossin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Ther Drug Monit 35:194-202. 2013..Here, we investigate the potential intervening role of TNF-α in the indirect relationship between AAP treatment and MetS in BD...
- Overexpressing the glucocorticoid receptor in forebrain causes an aging-like neuroendocrine phenotype and mild cognitive dysfunctionQiang Wei
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 27:8836-44. 2007..Thus, even in the absence of chronic stress, elevation of GR gene expression can lead to an increased allostatic load and result in an "aging-like" phenotype in young animals...
- The fibroblast growth factor system and mood disordersCortney A Turner
Department of Psychiatry, Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:1128-35. 2006..In summary, a reduced tone in the FGF system might alter brain development or remodeling and result in a predisposition or vulnerability to mood disorders, including major depression...
- An Untargeted Metabolomics Analysis of Antipsychotic Use in Bipolar DisorderKyle J Burghardt
Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Clin Transl Sci 8:432-40. 2015..This study aimed to describe the metabolite profiles of bipolar subjects treated with SGAs by comparing to metabolite profiles of bipolar subjects treated with lithium, and schizophrenia subjects treated with SGAs...
- Microarray technology: a review of new strategies to discover candidate vulnerability genes in psychiatric disordersWilliam E Bunney
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:657-66. 2003..Instead of studying one gene at a time, microarrays provide the opportunity to analyze thousands of genes at once...
- Dietary, lifestyle and pharmacogenetic factors associated with arteriole endothelial-dependent vasodilatation in schizophrenia patients treated with atypical antipsychotics (AAPs)Vicki L Ellingrod
University of Michigan, College of Pharmacy, Department of Clinical Social and Administrative Sciences, 428 Church Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Schizophr Res 130:20-6. 2011..This study examined the status of endothelial function within the schizophrenia population and determined pharmacogenetic, medication, dietary, and lifestyle factors associated with this functioning...
- Evaluation of Affymetrix Gene Chip sensitivity in rat hippocampal tissue using SAGE analysis. Serial Analysis of Gene ExpressionSimon J Evans
Mental Health Research Institute, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Eur J Neurosci 16:409-13. 2002..This report provides the first broad evaluation of Affymetrix Gene Chip sensitivity relevant to studying the brain...
- The fibroblast growth factor family and mood disordersH Akil
University of Michigan, Mental Health Research Institute, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Novartis Found Symp 289:94-6; discussion 97-100, 193-5. 2008..This paper is focused on a group of growth factors, the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family and their potential role in mood disorders...
- Effect of agonal and postmortem factors on gene expression profile: quality control in microarray analyses of postmortem human brainHiroaki Tomita
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 1675, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:346-52. 2004..Reducing the variance due to agonal factors is critical in investigating small but validated gene expression differences in messenger RNA levels between psychiatric patients and control subjects...
- Application of microarray technology in primate behavioral neuroscience researchAdriaan M Karssen
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, USA
Methods 38:227-34. 2006....
- Systematic changes in gene expression in postmortem human brains associated with tissue pH and terminal medical conditionsJun Z Li
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:609-16. 2004..These findings shed light on critical molecular mechanisms that are engaged during different forms of terminal stress, and may suggest clinical targets of protection or restoration...
- Integration of Stress and Reproductive Axes by DopamineSimon Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..