Paul Campbell Erwin
Affiliation: University of Tennessee
- Macro Trends and the Future of Public Health PracticePaul Campbell Erwin
Department of Public Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 email
Annu Rev Public Health . 2016..Expected final online publication date for the Annual Review of Public Health Volume 38 is March 20, 2017. Please see http://www.annualreviews.org/page/journal/pubdates for revised estimates...
- Local health departments and the 2008 recession: characteristics of resiliencyPaul C Erwin
Department of Public Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 46:559-68. 2014..The 2008 recession had a significant impact on local health departments (LHDs), with more than half of such agencies experiencing job losses and program cuts...
- Data synthesis in community health assessment: practical examples from the fieldPaul Campbell Erwin
Department of Public Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:468-74. 2013..These processes provide examples of data synthesis and are relevant to current practice, given the national voluntary accreditation process and the new nonprofit hospital requirements to conduct community health assessments. ..
- Resources that may matter: the impact of local health department expenditures on health statusPaul Campbell Erwin
The University of Tennessee, College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences, Department of Public Health, 1914 Andy Holt Ave, HPER, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Public Health Rep 127:89-95. 2012..With repeated surveys of LHDs, it is now possible to use longitudinal designs to explore the association between LHD inputs and outcomes...
- Addressing social determinants of health by integrating assessment of caregiver-child attachment into community based primary health care in urban KenyaJohn H Bryant
Orphans and Vulnerable Children s Project in Africa, and Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Department Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia Faculty of Medicine, 250 Pantops Mountain Road, Apt 5223 Charlottesville, VA 22911, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 9:3588-98. 2012....
- A shot in the rear, not a shot in the dark: application of a mass clinic framework in a public health emergencyPaul Campbell Erwin
East Tennessee Regional Health Office, Tennessee Department of Health, Knoxville, TN, USA
Public Health Rep 124:212-6. 2009..58 doses per person-hour targeted in CDC's smallpox post-event clinic plans. The mass clinic showed that CDC's smallpox post-event clinic guidelines were feasible, practical, and adaptable to other mass clinic situations...
- The association of changes in local health department resources with changes in state-level health outcomesPaul Campbell Erwin
Center for Public Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Am J Public Health 101:609-15. 2011..037), and increases in staffing were significantly associated with decreases in cardiovascular disease mortality (P = .014), controlling for other factors...
- Poverty in America: how public health practice can make a differencePaul Campbell Erwin
Tennessee Department of Health, Knoxville, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1570-2. 2008..Empowerment, education, and opportunity can serve as ways to ameliorate poverty and may serve to modulate the persistent underlying conditions that create and sustain poverty...
- State responses to America's Health Rankings: the search for meaning, utility, and valuePaul Campbell Erwin
Department of Public Health, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 17:406-12. 2011..America's Health Rankings (AHR) is a state-level ranking of health determinants and outcomes produced annually by the United Health Foundation...
- The performance of local health departments: a review of the literaturePaul Campbell Erwin
University of Tennessee Center for Public Health, 302 Bailey Education Complex, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:E9-18. 2008..Prospective studies that examine the linkages among LHD performance measurement, accreditation, and outcomes will be important in achieving performance improvement over time...
- A self-assessment process for accreditation preparedness: a practical example for local health departmentsPaul Campbell Erwin
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 379996, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 15:503-8. 2009..To help prepare LHDs for accreditation, the National Association of County and City Health Officials has developed a self-assessment instrument on the basis of the Operational Definition of a Functioning Local Health Department...
- Health disparities in rural areas: the interaction of race, socioeconomic status, and geographyPaul Campbell Erwin
Center for Public Health, University of Tennessee
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:931-45. 2010..033) in an analysis that included all 95 counties. Mortality differences based on demographic characteristics, rather than on the usual social determinants of health, raise further questions about the root causes of health inequities...
- The physician as public health officerPaul Campbell Erwin
W V Med J 104:38-9. 2008
- Clinical comparisons of La Crosse encephalitis and enteroviral central nervous system infections in a pediatric population: 2001 surveillance in East TennesseeSandra G Hardin
East Tennessee Regional Health Department Communicable Disease Control, Knoxville, Tennessee USA
Am J Infect Control 31:508-10. 2003..A possible advantage of identifying specific viral etiologic factors of pediatric CNS disease by clinical characteristics may be the ability to take advantage of emerging antiviral therapies...