S C Elbein
Affiliation: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- A genome-wide search for type 2 diabetes susceptibility genes in Utah CaucasiansS C Elbein
Division of Endocrinology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and John L McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital, Little Rock 72205, USA
Diabetes 48:1175-82. 1999..25, with an estimated lambdaS of 1.87. Our data suggest a novel diabetes susceptibility locus near APOA2 on chromosome 1 in a region with many transcribed genes...
- Reduced beta-cell compensation to the insulin resistance associated with obesity in members of caucasian familial type 2 diabetic kindredsS C Elbein
Endocrinology Section, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Diabetes Care 23:221-7. 2000....
- Genetics of type 2 diabetes: an overview for the millenniumS C Elbein
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 2:391-400. 2000..Whether a better understanding of the pathophysiology can lead to earlier prediction and detection or prevention will depend on the magnitude of risk conferred by individual genes and particular populations...
- Role of common sequence variants in insulin secretion in familial type 2 diabetic kindreds: the sulfonylurea receptor, glucokinase, and hepatocyte nuclear factor 1alpha genesS C Elbein
Department of Medicine, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Diabetes Care 24:472-8. 2001....
- Linkage and molecular scanning analyses of MODY3/hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 alpha gene in typical familial type 2 diabetes: evidence for novel mutations in exons 8 and 10S C Elbein
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, John L McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2059-65. 1998..Incomplete penetrance and a high sporadic frequency make linkage an inefficient screening tool...
- Evaluation of apolipoprotein A-II as a positional candidate gene for familial Type II diabetes, altered lipid concentrations, and insulin resistanceS C Elbein
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System and Department of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arizona, USA
Diabetologia 45:1026-33. 2002....
- Heritability of pancreatic beta-cell function among nondiabetic members of Caucasian familial type 2 diabetic kindredsS C Elbein
Endocrinology Section, John L McClellan Memorial Veterans Affairs Hospital, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:1398-403. 1999....
- Transcription factor 7-like 2 polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes, glucose homeostasis traits and gene expression in US participants of European and African descentS C Elbein
Endocrine Section, Medicine and Research Services, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, John L McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital, 4700 W 7th Street, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Diabetologia 50:1621-30. 2007....
- Sequence variants in the pancreatic islet beta-cell inwardly rectifying K+ channel Kir6.2 (Bir) gene: identification and lack of role in Caucasian patients with NIDDMH Inoue
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Diabetes 46:502-7. 1997..Diabetes 45:825-831, 1996) and 2) did not contribute to the impaired insulin secretion characteristic of NIDDM in Caucasian patients...
- The role of late-onset autoimmune diabetes in white familial NIDDM pedigreesS C Elbein
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, McClellan Memorial Veterans Affairs Hospital, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Diabetes Care 20:1248-51. 1997..To determine whether autoimmunity is a prominent feature of NIDDM among diabetic members in families with a strong history of NIDDM or in families with a mixture of NIDDM and IDDM...
- Quantitative trait linkage analysis of lipid-related traits in familial type 2 diabetes: evidence for linkage of triglyceride levels to chromosome 19qS C Elbein
Department of Endocrinology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205 7199, USA
Diabetes 51:528-35. 2002..2 may contribute to the commonly observed hypertriglyceridemia and low HDL seen in diabetic family members and their offspring, and thus may be a candidate locus for the insulin resistance syndrome...
- Effect of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma 2 pro(12)ala variant on obesity, glucose homeostasis, and blood pressure in members of familial type 2 diabetic kindredsS J Hasstedt
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 5330, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:536-41. 2001..The tendency for this variant to act in a recessive manner with effects on multiple traits may explain the inconsistent associations noted in previous studies...
- Molecular and clinical characterization of an insertional polymorphism of the insulin-receptor geneS C Elbein
Division of Endocrinology, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
Diabetes 38:737-43. 1989..No association could be demonstrated, and the insertion also failed to segregate with NIDDM in five White pedigrees.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Sequence variants in the sulfonylurea receptor (SUR) gene are associated with NIDDM in CaucasiansH Inoue
Division of Metabolism, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Diabetes 45:825-31. 1996..9% of patients and 0.5% of control subjects (P < 0.0001, OR 21.5, 95% CI 2.91-159.6). These results suggest that defects at the SUR locus may be a major contributor to the inherited basis of NIDDM in Northern European Caucasians...
- Methionine for valine substitution in exon 17 of the insulin receptor gene in a pedigree with familial NIDDMS C Elbein
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84148
Diabetes 42:429-34. 1993..Fasting and 1-h postglucose insulin levels were not different between carriers and noncarriers (fasting, 71.4 pM vs. 74.5 pM; 1-h, 381 pM vs. 354 pM), even after correction for age, sex, and BMI.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- A mutation in the insulin receptor gene that impairs transport of the receptor to the plasma membrane and causes insulin-resistant diabetesD Accili
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
EMBO J 8:2509-17. 1989..Thus, the mutation causes insulin resistance by decreasing the number of insulin receptors on the surface of the patients' cells...
- Type 2 diabetes susceptibility genes on chromosome 1q21-24S J Hasstedt
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, 15 N 2030 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Ann Hum Genet 72:163-9. 2008..Genotypes of these 5 variant pairs accounted for 25.8% of the genetic variance in T2D in these pedigrees...