Genomes and Genes
Marc A Dichter
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Posttraumatic epilepsy: the challenge of translating discoveries in the laboratory to pathways to a cureMarc A Dichter
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Epilepsia 50:41-5. 2009....
- Innovative clinical trial designs for future antiepileptic drugsMarc A Dichter
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Epilepsia 48:26-30. 2007..It will likely require significant changes from our current strategies to accomplish these goals...
- Emerging concepts in the pathogenesis of epilepsy and epileptogenesisMarc A Dichter
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, 3 Gates Building, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4204, USA
Arch Neurol 66:443-7. 2009....
- Clinical trials in neuroprotection. 23-25 January 2003, Key Biscayne, Florida, USAMarc A Dichter
PENN Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, 3 West Gates, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 8:267-71. 2003....
- Neuroprotection and antiepileptogenesis: where are we now?Marc A Dichter
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, 3 West Gates, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurology 59:S36-8. 2002
- Apelin, an endogenous neuronal peptide, protects hippocampal neurons against excitotoxic injuryLauren A O'Donnell
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurochem 102:1905-17. 2007..Thus, apelin/APJ signaling likely represents an endogenous hippocampal neuronal survival response, and therefore apelin should be further investigated as a potential neuroprotectant against hippocampal injury...
- Murine brain progenitor cells have the ability to differentiate into functional neurons and integrate into the CNSShinghua Ding
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Transplant 15:699-710. 2006..These results suggest that both the environment and state of differentiation may dictate migration and the differentiation pathway of stem cells after transplantation...
- The use of specific AAV serotypes to stably transduce primary CNS neuron culturesSaafan Z Malik
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 846:305-19. 2012....
- Specific AAV serotypes stably transduce primary hippocampal and cortical cultures with high efficiency and low toxicityNicolas C Royo
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Brain Res 1190:15-22. 2008..These vectors should prove highly useful for efficient overexpression or downregulation of genes in primary neuronal cultures at any developmental stage...
- Activation of cyclin-dependent kinase 5 by calpains contributes to human immunodeficiency virus-induced neurotoxicityYing Wang
Department of Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurochem 103:439-55. 2007..Taken together, our data suggest calpain activation of CDK5, a pathway activated in HIV-infected individuals, can mediate neuronal damage and death in a model of HIV-induced neurotoxicity...
- Efficient conversion of astrocytes to functional midbrain dopaminergic neurons using a single polycistronic vectorRussell C Addis
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28719. 2011..The present study is the first demonstration that a single vector can mediate reprogramming to dopaminergic neurons, and indicates that astrocytes are an ideal starting population for the direct generation of dopaminergic neurons...
- Identification of in vivo, conserved, TAF15 RNA binding sites reveals the impact of TAF15 on the neuronal transcriptomeFadia Ibrahim
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Neuropathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Rep 3:301-8. 2013..Our study uncovers neuronal RNA networks impacted by TAF15 and sets the stage for investigating the role of TAF15 in ALS pathogenesis...
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-induced neurotoxicity: roles for the NMDA receptor subtypesLauren A O'Donnell
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 26:981-90. 2006..Antagonists of NR2A and NR2B subunits as well as inhibitors of calpain activation offer attractive neuroprotective approaches against HIV in both developing and mature brain...
- Injuring neurons induces neuronal differentiation in a population of hippocampal precursor cells in cultureHenry C Tseng
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurobiol Dis 22:88-97. 2006..The conversion of endogenous pluripotent precursor cells into neurons in response to local brain injury may be an important component of central nervous system homeostasis...
- Differential localization of ErbB receptor ensembles influences their signaling in hippocampal neuronsJinqiu Chen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
DNA Cell Biol 24:553-62. 2005..Collectively, these studies indicate that different ErbB ensembles localize to different locations on the neuron to mediate distinct signals and functions...
- Platelet-derived growth factor-BB pretreatment attenuates excitotoxic death in cultured hippocampal neuronsHenry C Tseng
David Mahoney Institute of Neurological Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurobiol Dis 19:77-83. 2005....
- Differences in multiple forms of short-term plasticity between excitatory and inhibitory hippocampal neurons in cultureMichael P Kaplan
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Synapse 50:41-52. 2003....
- Human clinical trails in antiepileptogenesisRam Mani
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, United States
Neurosci Lett 497:251-6. 2011..Elements of ideal trials designs for successful antiepileptogenic intervention are suggested...
- Paraneoplastic anti-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor encephalitis associated with ovarian teratomaJosep Dalmau
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuro Oncology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Neurol 61:25-36. 2007..To report the autoantigens of a new category of treatment-responsive paraneoplastic encephalitis...
- Differential effects of the anticonvulsant topiramate on neurobehavioral and histological outcomes following traumatic brain injury in ratsRachel C Hoover
Head Injury Center, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103, USA
J Neurotrauma 21:501-12. 2004..Topiramate significantly improved composite neuroscores at 4 weeks postinjury and rotating pole performance at 1 and 4 weeks postinjury, suggesting a potentially beneficial effect on motor function following TBI...
- Differential expression of GABA and glutamate-receptor subunits and enzymes involved in GABA metabolism between electrophysiologically identified hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cells and interneuronsAlbert E Telfeian
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, U S A
Epilepsia 44:143-9. 2003..Our hypothesis was that differences in gene expression between inhibitory and excitatory neurons in the rat hippocampus might point to specific new targets for seizure pharmacotherapy...
- Models for epilepsy and epileptogenesis: report from the NIH workshop, Bethesda, MarylandJames P Stables
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Epilepsia 43:1410-20. 2002..To move toward new and more effective therapies, novel approaches to therapy discovery are needed...
- Models of epileptogenesis in adult animals available for antiepileptogenesis drug screeningMarc A Dichter
Epilepsy Res 68:31-5. 2006..He describes several types of animal models and how they might be useful in developing effective strategies for preventing epilepsy...
- The neurobiology of disease: a comprehensive graduate curriculumMarc Dichter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Students will discuss how treatments have been developed in the past, and how their research in a laboratory can help to lead to new treatment in the future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..