C V Desouza
Affiliation: University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Cardiometabolic Effects of a New Class of Antidiabetic AgentsCyrus V Desouza
Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Endocrine, and Metabolism, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska Electronic address
Clin Ther 37:1178-94. 2015..The review also discusses the role of these drugs in the treatment paradigm for type 2 diabetes and identifies patients who would be suitable candidates for treatment with these drugs...
- Pioglitazone in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: safety and efficacy reviewCyrus V Desouza
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Clin Med Insights Endocrinol Diabetes 3:43-51. 2010..Pioglitazone also has beneficial effects on lipid metabolism and cardiovascular risk. The safety and efficacy of pioglitazone including its pleotropic effects are discussed at length in this article...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors as stimulants of angiogenesis in cardiovascular disease and diabetesCyrus V Desouza
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2:165-72. 2009..This review discusses the role of PPARs in stimulating angiogenesis. It also reviews the settings in which stimulation of angiogenesis may be either beneficial or harmful...
- Does drug therapy reverse endothelial progenitor cell dysfunction in diabetes?Cyrus V Desouza
Omaha VA Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 27:519-25. 2013..This review will discuss the evidence in the literature regarding the above mentioned topics...
- Role of apathy in the effectiveness of weight management programmesC V Desouza
Omaha VA Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:419-23. 2012..Mental health problems such as apathy may be a major factor in patients unsuccessful in adhering to weight loss programmes. We propose that treating apathy will result in better weight loss in obese patients...
- Role of inflammation and insulin resistance in endothelial progenitor cell dysfunctionCyrus V Desouza
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Diabetes 60:1286-94. 2011..Modifying EPCs by a knockdown of nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) can reverse the insulin signaling defects, improve EPC survival, and decrease neointimal hyperplasia in Zucker fatty rats postangioplasty...
- An overview of salsalate as a potential antidiabetic therapyC V Desouza
University of Nebraska Medical Center and Omaha VA Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 46:847-53. 2010..Postulated mechanisms include the inhibition of nuclear factor NF-kappa-B. Discussed in this review are the efficacy, safety and mechanisms of salsalate relevant to the treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- The effect of group clinics in the control of diabetesCyrus V Desouza
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, 68105, United States
Prim Care Diabetes 4:251-4. 2010..Novel interventions are needed for long-term maintenance of diabetes control. We studied the effects of a group diabetes clinic (GDC) on diabetes control when compared to usual care with primary care providers (PCP)...
- Effects of a PPAR-gamma agonist, on growth factor and insulin stimulated endothelial cellsCyrus V Desouza
Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center, United States University of Nebraska Medical Center, United States
Vascul Pharmacol 51:162-8. 2009..We studied the effect of pioglitazone on VEGF, FGF and insulin stimulated endothelial cells to determine if this was a mechanism of inhibition of endothelial regrowth...
- Long-term effects of a PPAR-gamma agonist, pioglitazone, on neointimal hyperplasia and endothelial regrowth in insulin resistant ratsCyrus V Desouza
Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 46:188-94. 2007..PPAR-gamma agonists like pioglitazone decrease insulin resistance and have been shown to reduce neointimal hyperplasia in the short-term. However long-term studies on endothelial regrowth and neointimal hyperplasia have not been done...
- Neointimal hyperplasia and vascular endothelial growth factor expression are increased in normoglycemic, insulin resistant, obese fatty ratsCyrus V Desouza
Research Service, Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Section of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105, USA
Atherosclerosis 184:283-9. 2006..We studied NH and VEGF expression in an obese, insulin resistant, but normoglycemic rat model, after carotid balloon injury...
- Differential effects of peroxisome proliferator activator receptor-alpha and gamma ligands on intimal hyperplasia after balloon catheter-induced vascular injury in Zucker ratsCyrus V Desouza
Department of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 8:297-305. 2003..We studied the effect of fenofibrate and rosiglitazone on intimal hyperplasia in the Zucker rat, a model for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus, following balloon catheter-induced injury...
- The impact of apathy on glycemic control in diabetes: a cross-sectional studyPrasad R Padala
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:37-41. 2008..The secondary objective was to determine if there was an association between clinically significant apathy and factors that affect glycemic control...