Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Neuroligins and neurexins: linking cell adhesion, synapse formation and cognitive functionCamin Dean
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Trends Neurosci 29:21-9. 2006..Here, we review several recent studies that offer clues as to how these proteins form synapses and how they might function in the brain to establish and modify neuronal network properties and cognition...
- Neurexin mediates the assembly of presynaptic terminalsCamin Dean
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, 271 LSA, California 94720, USA
Nat Neurosci 6:708-16. 2003..In response to this clustering, neurexins nucleate the assembly of a cytoplasmic scaffold to which the exocytotic apparatus is recruited...
- Axonal and dendritic synaptotagmin isoforms revealed by a pHluorin-syt functional screenCamin Dean
Department of Neuroscience, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Mol Biol Cell 23:1715-27. 2012..Hence most syt isoforms localize to distinct secretory organelles in both axons and dendrites and may regulate neuropeptide/neurotrophin release to modulate neuronal function...
- Distinct subsets of Syt-IV/BDNF vesicles are sorted to axons versus dendrites and recruited to synapses by activityCamin Dean
Department of Neuroscience, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Neurosci 32:5398-413. 2012..These findings demonstrate that BDNF-containing vesicles can be targeted to specific sites in neurons and suggest that syt-IV-regulated BDNF secretion is subject to spatial control to regulate synaptic function in a site-specific manner...
- Synaptotagmin IV: a multifunctional regulator of peptidergic nerve terminalsZhenjie Zhang
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:163-71. 2009..Given the neuroendocrine functions of the posterior pituitary, changes in Syt IV levels could be involved in endocrine transitions involving alterations in the release of the neuropeptides oxytocin and vasopressin...
- Autapses and networks of hippocampal neurons exhibit distinct synaptic transmission phenotypes in the absence of synaptotagmin IHuisheng Liu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Neurosci 29:7395-403. 2009..Thus, aspects of synaptic transmission differ between autaptic and dissociated cultures, and the synaptic transmission phenotype, resulting from loss of syt-I, is dictated by the connectivity of neurons...
- "Self" versus "non-self" connectivity dictates properties of synaptic transmission and plasticityHuisheng Liu
Department of Neuroscience and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e62414. 2013..Thus neurons can distinguish whether they are connected via "self" or "non-self" synapses and have the ability to adjust their plasticity parameters when connected to other neurons...
- Synaptotagmin-IV modulates synaptic function and long-term potentiation by regulating BDNF releaseCamin Dean
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:767-76. 2009..Thus, regulation of BDNF secretion by syt-IV emerges as a mechanism for maintaining synaptic strength in a useful range during LTP...
- SV2 is the protein receptor for botulinum neurotoxin AMin Dong
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 312:592-6. 2006..Finally, mice that lacked an SV2 isoform (SV2B) displayed reduced sensitivity to BoNT/A. Thus, SV2 acts as the protein receptor for BoNT/A...
- Neuronal activation by GPI-linked neuroligin-1 displayed in synthetic lipid bilayer membranesMichael M Baksh
Department of Chemistry, University of California Berkeley, 94720, USA
Langmuir 21:10693-8. 2005..In addition, the synthetic membrane environment affords control over both lipid and protein composition. This technology is easily implemented and can be applied to a wide variety of cellular studies...