Paul K Dayton
Affiliation: University of California
- A general model for designing networks of marine reservesEnric Sala
Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Science 298:1991-3. 2002..A network covering 40% of rocky reef habitat can fulfill many conservation goals while reducing social conflict. This quantitative approach provides a powerful tool for decision-makers tasked with siting marine reserves...
- Spatial patterns of fishing effort off San Diego: implications for zonal management and ecosystem functionP Ed Parnell
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Integrative Oceanography Division, Mail Code 0227, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0227, USA
Ecol Appl 20:2203-22. 2010..Ecosystem-based management of nearshore ecosystems depends on an understanding of the fine-scale patterns of exploitation...
- The importance of the natural sciences to conservation: (an American Society of Naturalists symposium paper)Paul K Dayton
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Am Nat 162:1-13. 2003..We must reinstate natural science courses in all our academic institutions to insure that students experience nature first-hand and are instructed in the fundamentals of the natural sciences...
- Recruitment, growth and mortality of an Antarctic hexactinellid sponge, Anoxycalyx joubiniPaul K Dayton
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e56939. 2013..We also report almost complete mortality of large sponges followed over 40 years. Given our warming global climate, similar system-wide changes are expected in the future...
- Marine reserve design: optimal size, habitats, species affinities, diversity, and ocean microclimateP Ed Parnell
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Integrative Oceanography Division, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0227, USA
Ecol Appl 16:945-62. 2006....
- Ecological theory and continental margins: where shallow meets deepLisa A Levin
Integrative Oceanography Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA 92093 0218, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 24:606-17. 2009..Concepts of disturbance, diversity-function relationships, top-down versus bottom-up control, facilitation and meta-dynamics offer a framework for studying fundamental processes and understanding future change...
- Discriminating sources of PCB contamination in fish on the coastal shelf off San Diego, California (USA)P Ed Parnell
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Integrative Oceanography Division, University of California, San Diego, Mail Code 0227, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0227, United States
Mar Pollut Bull 56:1992-2002. 2008..We conclude that most PCB contamination in shelf sediments and fish is due to the ongoing practice of dumping contaminated sediments dredged from San Diego Bay...