Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cincinnati
- Activation of the parasympathetic nervous system is necessary for normal meal-induced insulin secretion in rhesus macaquesD A D'Alessio
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1253-9. 2001..These results indicate that activation of the PNS during the absorptive phase of meals contributes significantly to the postprandial insulin secretory response...
- Intestinal hormones and regulation of satiety: the case for CCK, GLP-1, PYY, and Apo A-IVDavid D'Alessio
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 32:567-8. 2008..The effects of cholecystokinin, glucagon-like peptide I, peptide YY, and apolipoprotein A-IV are described...
- The intestinal lymph fistula model--a novel approach to study ghrelin secretionJenny Tong
Departments of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, 45267 0547, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G474-80. 2010..The postprandial dynamics of ghrelin are slower in lymph than plasma, but the magnitude of change is greater. Assessing ghrelin levels in the lymph may be advantageous for studying its secretion and concentrations in the gastric mucosa...
- Using the lymph fistula rat model to study the potentiation of GIP secretion by the ingestion of fat and glucoseWendell J Lu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G1130-8. 2008..We conclude from these studies that the lymph fistula rat is a novel approach to study in vivo GIP secretion in response to nutrient feeding in conscious rats...
- Ghrelin stimulation of growth hormone isoforms: parallel secretion of total and 20-kDa growth hormone and relation to insulin sensitivity in healthy humansJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:3366-74. 2012..The 20-kDa hGH promotes growth similarly to 22-kDa or total hGH, the predominant form in circulation, but the relative effects of these isoforms on glucose metabolism have been debated...
- Physiologic concentrations of exogenously infused ghrelin reduces insulin secretion without affecting insulin sensitivity in healthy humansJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:2536-43. 2013..Infusion of ghrelin to supraphysiologic levels inhibits glucose-stimulated insulin secretion, reduces insulin sensitivity, and worsens glucose tolerance in humans...
- Chylomicron formation and secretion is required for lipid-stimulated release of incretins GLP-1 and GIPWendell J Lu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Lipids 47:571-80. 2012..The relative difference in the effect of L-81 on the two incretins provides further support that nutrient-stimulation of GIP and GLP-1 is via distinct mechanisms...
- Apolipoprotein A-IV interacts synergistically with melanocortins to reduce food intakeKoro Gotoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, 2170 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R202-7. 2006..In addition, c-Fos expression was not colocalized with proopiomelanocortin-positive neurons. These data support a synergistic interaction between apo A-IV and melanocortins that reduces food intake by acting downstream of the arcuate...
- Impaired insulin secretion and enhanced insulin sensitivity in cholecystokinin-deficient miceChun Min Lo
Cincinnati Obesity Research Center, Metabolic Diseases Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 60:2000-7. 2011..Cholecystokinin (CCK) is released in response to lipid intake and stimulates insulin secretion. We hypothesized that CCK deficiency would alter the regulation of insulin secretion and glucose homeostasis...
- Cooperation between brain and islet in glucose homeostasis and diabetesMichael W Schwartz
Diabetes and Obesity Center of Excellence, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Nature 503:59-66. 2013..Consequently, therapies that target the BCGS in addition to conventional approaches based on enhancing insulin effects may have the potential to induce diabetes remission, whereas targeting just one typically does not. ..
- Enteroinsular signaling: perspectives on the role of the gastrointestinal hormones glucagon-like peptide 1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide in normal and abnormal glucose metabolismTorsten Vahl
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 6:461-8. 2003..New findings indicate that the enteroinsular system mediated by the incretins is relevant to both the pathophysiology and treatment of diabetes...
- Acute administration of unacylated ghrelin has no effect on Basal or stimulated insulin secretion in healthy humansJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Diabetes 63:2309-19. 2014..In contrast to previous reports, acute administration of UAG does not have independent effects on glucose tolerance or β-cell function and neither augments nor antagonizes the effects of AG. ..
- The pharmacokinetics of acyl, des-acyl, and total ghrelin in healthy human subjectsJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219 0547, USA
Eur J Endocrinol 168:821-8. 2013..However, there is only limited data on the pharmacokinetics of AG and DAG...
- High-density lipoprotein maintains skeletal muscle function by modulating cellular respiration in miceMaarit Lehti
Diabetes Research Department IDO and IDR, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, München Neuherberg, Germany M L, M K, T O, C S, S C, P T P, S M H Metabolic Diseases Institute, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH M L, E D, W A, O A M, K M H, J W, C R, J M, S S, C T, R K, S M G, R A G D S, D D, W S D, S M H LIKES Research Center for Sport and Health Sciences, Jyvaskyla, Finland M L Energy Metabolism Laboratory ETH Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, UNICAMP
Circulation 128:2364-71. 2013..We used genetic mouse models with increased HDL levels (apolipoprotein A-I transgenic [apoA-I tg]) and reduced HDL levels (apoA-I-deficient [apoA-I ko]) to investigate whether HDL modulates mitochondrial bioenergetics in skeletal muscle...
- Eating disorders and gastrointestinal peptidesJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 18:42-9. 2011....
- Acute administration of acyl, but not desacyl ghrelin, decreases blood pressure in healthy humansCecilia J Zhang
Division of EndocrinologyMetabolism and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Eur J Endocrinol 176:123-132. 2017....
- Role of carbohydrate modification in weight management among obese children: a randomized clinical trialShelley Kirk
Center for Better Health and Nutrition, The Heart Institute, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr 161:320-7.e1. 2012..To compare the effectiveness and safety of carbohydrate (CHO)-modified diets with a standard portion-controlled (PC) diet in obese children...
- Fasting and postprandial concentrations of GLP-1 in intestinal lymph and portal plasma: evidence for selective release of GLP-1 in the lymph systemDavid D'Alessio
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R2163-9. 2007..In addition, these data raise the possibility that intestinal lymph may serve as a specialized signaling conduit for regulatory peptides secreted by gastrointestinal endocrine cells...
- Ghrelin Impairs Prandial Glucose Tolerance and Insulin Secretion in Healthy Humans Despite Increasing GLP-1Jenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism J T, H W D, D D, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio Institute of Clinical Physiology A G, National Research Council, Pisa, Italy Cincinnati VA Medical Center D D, Cincinnati, Ohio
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 101:2405-14. 2016..Our objective was to test the effects of ghrelin on glucose and insulin responses during a meal tolerance test...
- The role of the transcription factor ETV5 in insulin exocytosisRuth Gutierrez-Aguilar
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, 2170 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH, 45237, USA
Diabetologia 57:383-91. 2014..Genome-wide association studies have revealed an association of the transcription factor ETS variant gene 5 (ETV5) with human obesity. However, its role in glucose homeostasis and energy balance is unknown...
- Factors associated with insulin and narcotic independence after islet autotransplantation in patients with severe chronic pancreatitisSyed A Ahmad
Pancreatic Disease Center, Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45219, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:680-7. 2005..Factors that determine success after this operation have not been clearly defined...
- Nutrient overload, insulin resistance, and ribosomal protein S6 kinase 1, S6K1Sung Hee Um
Department of Genome Science, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, 2180 E Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Cell Metab 3:393-402. 2006..Thus, S6K1 may mediate deleterious effects, like insulin resistance, and potentially type 2 diabetes in the face of nutrient excess...
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 mediates specific glucagon actionsKirk M Habegger
Metabolic Disease Institute, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 62:1453-63. 2013..Taken together, these data reveal for the first time that glucagon controls glucose, energy, and lipid metabolism at least in part via FGF21-dependent pathways...
- Ghrelin suppresses glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and deteriorates glucose tolerance in healthy humansJenny Tong
1Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 59:2145-51. 2010..The goal of this study was to test the hypothesis that circulating ghrelin suppresses glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in healthy subjects...
- Ghrelin enhances olfactory sensitivity and exploratory sniffing in rodents and humansJenny Tong
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Neurosci 31:5841-6. 2011..This novel role is consistent with ghrelin's overall function as a signal amplifier at the molecular interface between environmental and nutritional cues and neuroendocrine circuits controlling energy homeostasis...
- Frequency of abnormal carbohydrate metabolism and diabetes in a population-based screening of adolescentsLawrence M Dolan
Division of Endocrinology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Pediatr 146:751-8. 2005..To document the frequency of glucose intolerance in adolescents in a population-based study of primarily African-American/Non-Hispanic whites in an urban-suburban school district...
- Increased dietary fat attenuates the anorexic effects of intracerebroventricular injections of MTIIDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, PO Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Endocrinology 144:2941-6. 2003..These results indicate that consumption of a HF diet decreases signaling through the melanocortin system, an abnormality that could contribute to diet-induced obesity...