Joan M Cook
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Suicidality in older African Americans: findings from the EPOCH studyJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia VA Medical Center, 19104, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:437-46. 2002..The authors discuss implications of these findings and offer suggestions for research and clinical practice...
- Practical geriatrics: possible association of posttraumatic stress disorder with cognitive impairment among older adultsJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center 116A, University and Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1223-5. 2003
- A test of the tripartite model of depression and anxiety in older adult psychiatric outpatientsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychol Aging 19:444-51. 2004..Ways for taking into account possible age-associated differences in emotion in older adults and thus improving the conceptual model of anxiety and depression are briefly noted...
- Assessment and psychological treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder in older adultsJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 18:61-71. 2005..Explicit suggestions for best practices are made...
- Assessment of trauma exposure and post-traumatic stress in long-term care veterans: preliminary data on psychometrics and post-traumatic stress disorder prevalenceJoan M Cook
School of Medicine, Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mil Med 170:862-6. 2005..The need for assessment and treatment of trauma exposure and PTSD in Veterans Affairs long-term care settings is emphasized...
- Verbal and physical aggression in World War II former prisoners of war: role of posttraumatic stress disorder and depressionCasey O'Donnell
Department of Psychology, La Salle University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:859-66. 2006..Depression was a significant moderator of the relationship between PTSD and both physical and verbal aggression. Theoretical and clinical implications are suggested...
- A formative evaluation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Trauma Stress 26:56-63. 2013..Suggestions for improving the adoption of PE and CPT are noted, including distilling manualized treatments to essential common elements...
- Measurement of a model of implementation for health care: toward a testable theoryJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, 950 Campbell Avenue, NEPEC 182, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Implement Sci 7:59. 2012..The present paper represents a first step in operationalizing Greenhalgh et al.'s model by providing background, rationale, working definitions, and measurement of key constructs...
- What do psychotherapists really do in practice? An Internet study of over 2,000 practitionersJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Psychotherapy (Chic) 47:260-7. 2010..Efforts to disseminate empirically based therapies require understanding and accommodating clinicians' tendencies to integrate techniques...
- Psychometric properties of the PTSD Checklist with older primary care patientsJoan M Cook
School of Medicine, Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
J Trauma Stress 18:371-6. 2005..It also revealed similar convergence with the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression scale, found in previous research. Implications for using the PTSD Checklist with community-dwelling older adults in primary care are discussed...
- Barriers to adoption of new treatments: an internet study of practicing community psychotherapistsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 36:83-90. 2009..Specific ideas for overcoming these barriers are identified...
- Older primary care patients' willingness to consider discontinuation of chronic benzodiazepinesJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 29:396-401. 2007..To examine factors related to older primary care patients' willingness to consider tapering/discontinuation of long-term benzodiazepine use...
- A critical review of the evidence base of imagery rehearsal for posttraumatic nightmares: pointing the way for future researchGerlinde C Harb
Behavioral Health Service, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Trauma Stress 26:570-9. 2013..Randomized controlled trials of imagery rehearsal with credible comparison conditions, examination of predictors of dropout and outcome, as well as dismantling studies of imagery rehearsal treatment components are needed. ..
- Changes in implementation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programs: a national investigationJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, Connecticut, USA National Center for PTSD, Evaluation Division, West Haven, Connecticut, USA and Executive Division, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
J Trauma Stress 27:137-43. 2014..g., tailoring, lengthening). Reasons for adaptations are discussed. The need to dedicate time and resources toward the implementation of EBTs is noted. ..
- Combat-related PTSD nightmares and imagery rehearsal: nightmare characteristics and relation to treatment outcomeGerlinde C Harb
Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Behavioral Health Service Research, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Trauma Stress 25:511-8. 2012..95 (SE = 1.06). Imagery rehearsal for individuals with severe, chronic PTSD and fairly replicative nightmares may be most effective when the rescripted dream incorporates a resolution of the nightmare theme and excludes violent details...
- Suicidal ideation in veterans receiving treatment for opiate dependenceRichard Thompson
Juvenile Protective Association, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60622, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 38:149-56. 2006..The implications of these findings are discussed, and frequent screening for suicidal ideation among patients receiving treatment for opiate dependence is recommended...
- Older women survivors of physical and sexual violence: a systematic review of the quantitative literatureJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:1075-81. 2011..This systematic review synthesizes the quantitative empirical literature concerning older women survivors of physical and sexual assault...
- Exposure to trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in older veterans attending primary care: comorbid conditions and self-rated health statusU Nalla B Durai
Department of Psychiatry, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, School of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1087-92. 2011..Assess the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptomatology and its association with health characteristics in a geriatric primary care population...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and current relationship functioning among World War II ex-prisoners of warJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia VA Medical Center, 19104, USA
J Fam Psychol 18:36-45. 2004..Emotional numbing was significantly associated with relationship difficulties independent of other symptom complexes and severity of PTSD. Implications for clinical practice are discussed...
- A content analysis of advertisements for psychotherapy workshops: implications for disseminating empirically supported treatmentsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Clin Psychol 64:296-307. 2008..g., use of superlatives and exclamation points). Promotional strategies to advertise psychotherapy workshops can be used to inform the dissemination of empirically supported treatments...
- Double depression in older adult psychiatric outpatients: hopelessness as a defining featureThomas E Joiner
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 1270, United States
J Affect Disord 101:235-8. 2007....
- The psychology of ongoing threat: relative risk appraisal, the September 11 attacks, and terrorism-related fearsRandall D Marshall
Trauma Studies and Services Center, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am Psychol 62:304-16. 2007..The authors present ways in which these concepts and related techniques can be helpful in treating persons with September 11- or terrorism-related distress or psychopathology...
- Dissemination and feasibility of a cognitive-behavioral treatment for substance use disorders and posttraumatic stress disorder in the Veterans AdministrationJoan M Cook
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 38:89-92. 2006..Recommendations for future dissemination are proposed, including ways VA administration can facilitate this process...