M S Cohen
Affiliation: University of California
- The neural correlates of religious and nonreligious beliefSam Harris
UCLA Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e0007272. 2009..Our lab previously has used functional neuroimaging to study belief as a general mode of cognition , and others have looked specifically at religious belief . However, no research has compared these two states of mind directly...
- Stability, repeatability, and the expression of signal magnitude in functional magnetic resonance imagingM S Cohen
UCLA Brain Mapping Division, Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Los Angeles, California 90095 7085, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 10:33-40. 1999..The data support an alternative approach to functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) that allows for quantitative comparisons of fMRI response magnitudes across trials and laboratories...
- Rapid and effective correction of RF inhomogeneity for high field magnetic resonance imagingM S Cohen
UCLA Brain Mapping Division, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 10:204-11. 2000..3% to 84.7% correct, as compared to a manually-constructed gold standard...
- A data compression method for image time seriesM S Cohen
UCLA Brain Mapping Division, Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Los Angeles, California 90095 7085, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 12:20-4. 2001..The approach works equally well on any integer-based scanning modality, such as PET, CT, or DSA. Our purpose in this communication is to advocate it as a potential standard, to promote free interchange of scan data...
- Real-time functional magnetic resonance imagingM S Cohen
UCLA Brain Mapping Division, 660 Charles Young Drive South, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Methods 25:201-20. 2001..We describe here our preferred method of real-time functional MRI and some of the early results we have obtained with its use...
- Functional neuroimaging of belief, disbelief, and uncertaintySam Harris
University of California Los Angeles Brain Mapping Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ann Neurol 63:141-7. 2008..The purpose of this study was to differentiate belief, disbelief, and uncertainty at the level of the brain...
- The relationship between performance and fMRI signal during working memory in patients with schizophrenia, unaffected co-twins, and control subjectsKatherine H Karlsgodt
Department of Psychology, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Schizophr Res 89:191-7. 2007..Further, this study offers preliminary evidence that the relationship between behavior and physiology in schizophrenia may be heritable...
- Effects of acute smoking on brain activity vary with abstinence in smokers performing the N-Back task: a preliminary studyJiansong Xu
Department of Psychiatry, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychiatry Res 148:103-9. 2006..This interaction merits further examination in larger studies specifically designed to consider this issue...
- Brain activity in cigarette smokers performing a working memory task: effect of smoking abstinenceJiansong Xu
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:143-50. 2005..Our aim, therefore, was to identify abnormalities in the circuitry that mediates working memory in nicotine-dependent subjects after they initiate abstinence from smoking...
- Working memory in cigarette smokers: comparison to non-smokers and effects of abstinenceAdrianna Mendrek
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Addict Behav 31:833-44. 2006..These findings provide further evidence for a deficit in working memory associated with acute abstinence from smoking, which may contribute to the difficulty of smoking cessation...
- Effect of cigarette smoking on prefrontal cortical function in nondeprived smokers performing the Stroop TaskJiansong Xu
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:1421-8. 2007..Even after brief abstinence from smoking, therefore, smokers exhibit compromised functional efficiency in the right FEF and adjacent precentral sulcus in a test of selective attention; and smoking ameliorates this condition...
- Antiretroviral therapy effects on genetic and morphologic end points in lymphocytes and sperm of men with human immunodeficiency virus infectionW A Robbins
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Laboratory of Toxicology, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Infect Dis 184:127-35. 2001..These findings suggest that nucleoside-containing antiretrovirals administered via recommended protocols do not induce chromosomal changes in lymphocytes or sperm but may produce improvements in semen quality...
- Acquiring simultaneous EEG and functional MRIR I Goldman
UCLA Brain Mapping Division, Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, 660 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7085, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 111:1974-80. 2000..However, truly concurrent EEG/fMRI recording has great potential for clinical and scientific neurological applications. We have devised a method for acquiring EEG simultaneously with fMRI that minimizes contamination of the EEG signals...
- Functional neuroanatomy of visual masking deficits in schizophreniaMichael F Green
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1295-303. 2009..Patients with schizophrenia reliably show deficits on visual masking, and these procedures have been used to explore vulnerability to schizophrenia, probe underlying neural circuits, and help explain functional outcome...
- Neural substrates of resisting craving during cigarette cue exposureArthur L Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:642-51. 2007..We sought to determine changes in brain activity in response to cigarette cues when smokers actively resist craving...
- Regional brain changes in bipolar I depression: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyLori Altshuler
Department of Psychiatry, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Bipolar Disord 10:708-17. 2008..To investigate neural activity in prefrontal cortex and amygdala during bipolar depression...
- Towards a microcoil for intracranial and intraductal MR microscopyDebra S Strick
Biomedical Engineering Interdepartmental Program, University of California, LA 90095, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2008:2047-50. 2008..While 3-T MRI typically provides 1 to 30 voxels per-cubic-millimeter, in this paper we report that the MRI microcoil can provide hundreds, and even thousands of voxels in the same volume...
- Increased extent of object-selective cortex in schizophreniaJonathan K Wynn
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 164:97-105. 2008..The findings of abnormal spatial organization of LO in schizophrenia patients may converge with behavioral evidence of deficits in schizophrenia patients for object-recognition tasks that are believed to be mediated by LO activity...
- Blunted activation in orbitofrontal cortex during mania: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyLori L Altshuler
Department of Psychiatry, Los Angeles, California, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:763-9. 2005..Specifically, we sought to evaluate activation in the lateral orbitofrontal cortex, a brain region that is normally activated during activities that require response inhibition...
- Regional brain activity associated with visual backward maskingMichael F Green
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 17:13-23. 2005..These latter regions (including ventral LO, inferior parietal, anterior cingulate, and thalamus) may form the neural substrate of backward masking...
- Hippocampal activations during encoding and retrieval in a verbal working memory paradigmKatherine H Karlsgodt
Department of Psychology, UCLA, 1285 Franz Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Neuroimage 25:1224-31. 2005....
- Bilateral neurostimulation systems used for deep brain stimulation: in vitro study of MRI-related heating at 1.5 T and implications for clinical imaging of the brainRoongroj Bhidayasiri
Department of Neurology, UCLA Medical Center and Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 23:549-55. 2005..Notably, these findings are highly specific to the neurostimulation systems, device positioning technique, MR system and imaging conditions used in this investigation...
- Increased amygdala activation during mania: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyLori Altshuler
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1211-3. 2005..This study sought to investigate neural activity in the amygdala during episodes of mania...
- Dorsolateral prefrontal cortex activity during maintenance and manipulation of information in working memory in patients with schizophreniaTyrone D Cannon
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1563, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:1071-80. 2005..It remains unclear whether altered regional brain physiological activity in patients with schizophrenia during working memory tasks relates to maintenance-related processes, manipulation-related (ie, executive) processes, or both...
- Regional brain activity during early visual perception in unaffected siblings of schizophrenia patientsJunghee Lee
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 6968, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:78-85. 2010..We examined the neural substrates of visual backward performance in unaffected sibling of schizophrenia patients using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)...
- Effects of cigarette smoking and abstinence on Stroop task performanceCatherine P Domier
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 195:1-9. 2007..Selective attention may be important in this regard, but earlier literature presents inconsistent findings on how smoking abstinence and resumption of smoking influence this cognitive function...
- Classification of spatially unaligned fMRI scansAriana Anderson
Department of Statistics, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neuroimage 49:2509-19. 2010....
- Simultaneous EEG and fMRI of the alpha rhythmRobin I Goldman
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neuroreport 13:2487-92. 2002..These results also may have important implications for interpretation of resting baseline in fMRI studies...
- Ectopic ossification of the triceps muscle after application of bone morphogenetic protein-7 to the distal humerus for recalcitrant nonunion: a case reportRobert W Wysocki
Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA
J Hand Surg Am 32:647-50. 2007..We recommend caution when using this product in the upper extremity in regions where there is close approximation of soft tissue to bone and where loss of motion would be problematic...
- Concurrent EEG/fMRI analysis by multiway Partial Least SquaresEduardo Martínez-Montes
Neurophysics Department, Cuban Neuroscience Center, Havana, Cuba
Neuroimage 22:1023-34. 2004..As of yet, no single neuroimaging method offers the optimal combination of spatial and temporal resolution; fusing fMRI and EEG meaningfully extends the spatio-temporal resolution and sensitivity of each method...
- Recruitment of anterior dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in human reasoning: a parametric study of relational complexityJames K Kroger
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1109, USA
Cereb Cortex 12:477-85. 2002..Our data provide evidence that brain regions specific to integrating complex relations among stimuli are distinct from those involved in coping with general task difficulty and with working-memory demands...
- REAL TIME IMAGING OF MENTAL ACTIVITYMark Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2001..The focus of the continued development will be on extending the basic capabilities and in packaging the data analysis tools and disseminating them to other researchers and institutions. ..
- FMRI OF INVERTED VISION--PLASTICITY OF VISUOSPATIAL MAPSMark Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such knowledge will also be valuable in preparing humans for space travel, when people must adapt to the loss of gravitational clues to spatial orientation. ..