Scott F Coffey
Affiliation: University at Buffalo
- The impact of event scale-revised: psychometric properties in a sample of motor vehicle accident survivorsJ Gayle Beck
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo SUNY, 230 Park Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
J Anxiety Disord 22:187-98. 2008..The IES-R seems to be a solid measure of post-trauma phenomena that can augment related assessment approaches in clinical and research settings...
- Mental health among suburban drug court participantsJessica Aungst Weitzel
School of Social Work Research Center, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33:475-81. 2007..There is a need to develop appropriate, brief mental health screening instruments for use in drug court settings so that clients can receive necessary services...
- Trauma and substance cue reactivity in individuals with comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder and cocaine or alcohol dependenceScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo General Hospital, 80 Goodrich Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 65:115-27. 2002....
- Impulsivity and rapid discounting of delayed hypothetical rewards in cocaine-dependent individualsScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo General Hosptial, 14203, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 11:18-25. 2003..Moreover, scores on self-report measures indicated greater impulsivity in the CD group when compared with the MC group...
- Affect regulation training (ART) for alcohol use disorders: development of a novel intervention for negative affect drinkersPaul R Stasiewicz
Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, 1021 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA Electronic address
J Subst Abuse Treat 45:433-43. 2013..Overall, findings support further research on affect regulation interventions for negative affect drinkers. ..
- Relationship between approach and avoidance inclinations to use alcohol and treatment outcomesRobert C Schlauch
Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, 1021 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
Addict Behav 37:824-30. 2012....
- Pretreatment changes in drinking: relationship to treatment outcomesPaul R Stasiewicz
Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
Psychol Addict Behav 27:1159-66. 2013..Future studies may yield insights resulting in more efficient treatment delivery and adaptations to treatment based on an individual's pretreatment change status...
- The relationship of alexithymia to emotional dysregulation within an alcohol dependent treatment samplePaul R Stasiewicz
Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, 1021 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14203, United States
Addict Behav 37:469-76. 2012..g., emotion regulation, mindfulness) but demonstrated a limited relationship to drinking outcomes in those seeking treatment for alcohol dependence...
- Psychometric Properties of the Posttraumatic Cognitions Inventory (PTCI): a replication with motor vehicle accident survivorsJ Gayle Beck
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Psychol Assess 16:289-98. 2004..Potential reasons for this finding are discussed. The PTCI seems to be a promising measure of negative and dysfunctional posttrauma cognitions, which deserves continuing attention...
- Quality of life and post trauma symptomatology in motor vehicle accident survivors: the mediating effects of depression and anxietyBerglind Gudmundsdottir
Department of Psychology, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14260, USA
Depress Anxiety 20:187-9. 2004..Results indicated that post trauma symptomatology has a negative effect on QOL, which is mediated by depression and anxiety...
- University of Rhode Island Change Assessment-Trauma: preliminary psychometric properties in an alcohol-dependent PTSD sampleYvonne M Hunt
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MI 39216, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:915-21. 2006..Preliminary data also suggests higher URICA-T scores are associated with retention of alcohol dependent-PTSD participants in a study utilizing trauma-focused exposure...
- Changes in PTSD symptomatology during acute and protracted alcohol and cocaine abstinenceScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 87:241-8. 2007..Moreover, while trauma symptoms for the PTSD participants were more severe than those reported by the non-PTSD participants, trauma symptoms declined across the study period at the same rate irrespective of PTSD status...
- Symptom severity, alcohol craving, and age of trauma onset in childhood and adolescent trauma survivors with comorbid alcohol dependence and posttraumatic stress disorderJulie A Schumacher
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Am J Addict 15:422-5. 2006..These results suggest that individuals with childhood trauma histories may be particularly vulnerable to relapse following AD treatment...
- Trauma-focused imaginal exposure for individuals with comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder and alcohol dependence: revealing mechanisms of alcohol craving in a cue reactivity paradigmScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 20:425-35. 2006..Alcohol craving and distress elicited by trauma images decreased in the exposure condition but did not change in the relaxation condition. Results support the hypothesis that negative emotion is a mechanism of alcohol craving...
- The human startle reflex and alcohol cue reactivity: effects of early versus late abstinenceMichael E Saladin
College of Health Professions and Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Medical University of South Carolina, Rehabilitation Sciences Department, Charleston 29425, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 16:98-105. 2002..Affective ratings of alcohol cues suggested that alcohol cues were perceived as aversive. Methodological and theoretical implications of the findings are discussed...
- Screening for PTSD in motor vehicle accident survivors using the PSS-SR and IESScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, 39216, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:119-28. 2006..These data support the use of the IES and the PSS-SR as PTSD screening tools in MVA samples...
- Exposure therapy for substance abusers with PTSD: translating research to practiceScott F Coffey
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Behav Modif 29:10-38. 2005..This article describes one of the treatments and discusses treatment modifications that have been incorporated when translating this research-based therapy to practice in an inner-city community mental health center...
- PTSD symptom severity as a predictor of cue-elicited drug craving in victims of violent crimeMichael E Saladin
College of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, 77 President Street, Suite 117, PO Box 250700, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Addict Behav 28:1611-29. 2003..The results are discussed in the context of current research, theory, and clinical practice...
- Perpetration of partner violence: effects of cocaine and alcohol dependence and posttraumatic stress disorderDominic J Parrott
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Addict Behav 28:1587-602. 2003....
- Internet-based intervention for mental health and substance use problems in disaster-affected populations: a pilot feasibility studyKenneth J Ruggiero
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Behav Ther 37:190-205. 2006..The intervention consisted of 7 modules: posttraumatic stress/panic, depression, generalized anxiety, alcohol use, marijuana use, drug use, and cigarette use. Feasibility data were promising and suggest the need for further evaluation...
- Financial and social circumstances and the incidence and course of PTSD in Mississippi during the first two years after Hurricane KatrinaSandro Galea
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:357-68. 2008..Postdisaster interventions that aim to improve manipulable stressors after these events may influence the onset and course of PTSD...
- The use of divalproex in alcohol relapse prevention: a pilot studyKathleen T Brady
Institute of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Medical University of South Carolina, 67 President Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:323-30. 2002..This is consistent with the findings of other investigators exploring the use of DVPX in schizophrenia, personality disorder and a number of other psychiatric disorders...