Affiliation: University of Florida
- Simultaneous fundoplication and gastric stimulation in a lung transplant recipient with gastroparesis and refluxLori A Filichia
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
JSLS 12:303-5. 2008....
- Laparoscopic resection of a virilizing adrenocortical tumorJoseph J Castellano
University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
JSLS 12:343-6. 2008..Herein, we describe a case of laparoscopic resection of a testosterone-producing adrenal tumor in a sixteen-year-old female...
- Interdisciplinary work flow assessment and redesign decreases operating room turnover time and allows for additional caseloadJuan C Cendan
Departments of Surgery and Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, and J Hillis Miller Health Center, University of Florida, PO Box 100286, Gainesville, FL 32610 0286, USA
Arch Surg 141:65-9; discussion 70. 2006..Operating room turnover time (TOT) and daily caseload can be improved by analyzing the routine tasks of the operating team and minimizing inefficiencies...
- Erosion of gastric pacemaker lead into small bowelJ C Cendan
Department of Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 286, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 2:531-2. 2006
- Developing a multimedia environment for customized teaching of an adrenalectomyJuan Cendan
University of Florida College of Medicine, JHMHC, Gainesville, FL 32610 0286, USA
Surg Endosc 21:1012-6. 2007..A laparoscopic adrenalectomy is presented as a proof of concept in the accompanying article...
- Interactive peritoneum in a haptic surgery illustration environmentAshish Myles
Dept CISE, University of Florida, Florida, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 142:221-3. 2009..We describe a fully interactive, low-overhead and robust peritoneum representation allowing for probing and cutting. The peritoneum implementation has been tested within a surgical illustration environment...
- A haptic-enabled toolkit for illustration of procedures in surgery (TIPS)Minho Kim
Dept CISE, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 125:209-13. 2007..For a non-specialist, it provides a locally customized learning environment and repeated practice in a safe environment. We used the toolkit to illustrate removal of the adrenal gland...
- Fatty tissue in a haptic illustration environmentSukitti Punak
Dept CISE, University of Florida, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 132:384-6. 2008..The user can interact with the fatty tissue in real time via a handheld haptic stylus that represents a virtual surgical tool in TIPS environment. The currently available interactions are palpation, grasp, and cut...
- Development and initial validation of a virtual reality haptically augmented surgical knot-tying trainer for the Autosuture ENDOSTITCH instrumentSergei Kurenov
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Florida, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 142:145-7. 2009..This report represents the development and initial validation experiments for the device...
- The use of virtual patients in medical school curriculaJuan Cendan
Department of Medical Education, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida, Orlando, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 36:48-53. 2012....
- Exploiting graphics hardware for haptic authoringMinho Kim
Dept CISE, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 119:255-60. 2006..We implemented this as part of the University of Florida's haptic surgical authoring kit...
- Description of web-enhanced virtual character simulation system to standardize patient hand-offsLori Filichia
Department of Surgery, Health Science Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0826, USA
J Surg Res 166:176-81. 2011..The 80-h work week has increased discontinuity of patient care resulting in reports of increased medication errors and preventable adverse events. Graduate medical programs are addressing these shortcomings in a number of ways...
- Shader Lamps Virtual Patients: the physical manifestation of virtual patientsDiego Rivera-Gutierrez
Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering, University of Florida, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 173:372-8. 2012..Here we present a prototype system and results from a preliminary formative evaluation of the system...
- A primer on standards setting as it applies to surgical education and credentialingJuan Cendan
Department of Medical Education, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida, 6850 Lake Nona Blvd, Suite 317, Orlando, FL 32827, USA
Surg Endosc 27:2631-7. 2013..These disruptive technologies have on occasion been injurious to patients, and high-stakes assessment before adoption of new technologies would be reasonable...
- The use of virtual patients to teach medical students history taking and communication skillsAmy Stevens
College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Am J Surg 191:806-11. 2006..Therefore, we report our initial efforts to create an interactive virtual clinical scenario of a patient with acute abdominal pain to teach medical students history-taking and communication skills...