Alvah R Cass
Affiliation: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Osteoporosis risk assessment and ethnicity: validation and comparison of 2 clinical risk stratification instrumentsAlvah R Cass
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1123, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:630-5. 2006..Clinical tools to enhance selection of women for DXA screening have not been developed or validated in an ethnically diverse population...
- Comparison of the Male Osteoporosis Risk Estimation Score (MORES) With FRAX in Identifying Men at Risk for OsteoporosisAlvah R Cass
Department of Family Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Ann Fam Med 14:365-9. 2016..We wanted to compare the male osteoporosis risk estimation score (MORES) with the fracture risk assessment tool (FRAX) in screening men for osteoporosis...
- Risk of obstructive sleep apnea in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusAlvah R Cass
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1123, USA
Fam Med 45:492-500. 2013..OSA may be an under-recognized comorbidity of DM. The purpose of this study is to estimate the proportion of patients with type 2 DM at risk for OSA and describe factors associated with that risk...
- Validation of the Male Osteoporosis Risk Estimation Score (MORES) in a primary care settingAlvah R Cass
Department of Family Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1123, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 26:436-44. 2013..This study was designed to validate the Male Osteoporosis Risk Estimation Score (MORES) for identifying men at increased risk of osteoporosis...
- Determining risk of vertebral osteoporosis in men: validation of the male osteoporosis risk estimation scoreAngela J Shepherd
Department of Family Medicine and the Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 23:186-94. 2010..This study evaluated the effectiveness of the MORES to identify men at risk of lumbar osteoporosis...
- Development and internal validation of the male osteoporosis risk estimation scoreAngela J Shepherd
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Tex, USA
Ann Fam Med 5:540-6. 2007..We wanted to develop and validate a clinical prediction rule to identify men at risk for osteoporosis and subsequent hip fracture who might benefit from dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA)...
- Screening for bipolar disorder in patients treated for depression in a family medicine clinicRobert M A Hirschfeld
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, TX 77555 0188, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 18:233-9. 2005..The prevalence of bipolar disorder in patients being treated for depression with antidepressants in a family medicine clinic was investigated in this study...
- Roseomonas gilardii infection: case report and reviewNavkiran K Shokar
Family Medicine Department, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, Texas 77555 1123, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:4789-91. 2002..The case of a patient presenting with cellulitis and bacteremia secondary to R. gilardii is described together with the clinical characteristics of infection with this organism obtained from a review of cases previously reported...
- Mucosal associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma of the colon presenting as autoimmune hemolytic anemia (with video)Amanpal Singh
Department of Internal Medicine, UTMB, Galveston, Texas, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:1175-6; discussion 1176. 2008
- Development of a rural training track for TexasLisa R Nash
Family Medicine Residency Program, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 1123, USA
Tex Med 98:45-50. 2002..Building collaborative relationships between rural physicians and university-based residency programs, as described in this project, may offer one solution to the problem of medically underserved rural communities in Texas...
- Diabetes risk factors and testing in a Texas family medicine clinicFlora J Dallo
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Dallas 75390, USA
Tex Med 103:45-50. 2007..05) to have a glucose test. Many patients who should be tested are not being tested. One way to improve the quality of care is to perform glucose testing on patients at high risk for diabetes and to obtain complete lipid profiles...
- Variations in glucose test ordering practices by diabetes risk factorsFlorence J Dallo
School of Public Health, University of Texas, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 21:249-50. 2008
- Preferences of husbands and wives for outcomes of prostate cancer screening and treatmentRobert J Volk
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77098 3915, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:339-48. 2004..To explore the preferences of male primary care patients and their spouses for the outcomes of prostate cancer screening and treatment, and quality of life with metastatic prostate cancer...
- Psychological benefits of prostate cancer screening: the role of reassuranceScott B Cantor
Section of Health Services Research, Department of Biostatistics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, The University of Texas, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Health Expect 5:104-13. 2002..The role of reassurance in decision-making about screening for health problems is largely unknown. We examined the reassurance value of prostate cancer screening in primary care patients...