Affiliation: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Physical activity and sedentary behavior
- Internet-delivered behavior change program increases physical activity and improves cardiometabolic disease risk factors in sedentary adults: results of a randomized controlled trialLucas J Carr
Human Integrative Physiology Laboratory, Division of Kinesiology and Health, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Prev Med 46:431-8. 2008..To determine whether the Active Living Every Day (ALED-I) internet-delivered theory-based physical activity (PA) behavior change program increases PA and improves cardiometabolic disease risk factors (CDRF) in sedentary overweight adults...
- Body mass index in rural first grade schoolchildren: progressive increase in boysDerek T Smith
Human Integrative Physiology Laboratory, Division of Kinesiology and Health, College of Health Sciences, Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Rural Health 24:40-8. 2008..Childhood overweight is a global health problem. Monitoring of childhood body mass index (BMI) may help identify critical time periods during which excess body weight is accumulated...
- Internet-delivered lifestyle physical activity intervention: limited inflammation and antioxidant capacity efficacy in overweight adultsDerek T Smith
Div of Kinesiology and Health, College of Health Sciences, Univ of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:49-56. 2009....
- Eight-month follow-up of physical activity and central adiposity: results from an Internet-delivered randomized control trial interventionLucas J Carr
Division of Kinesiology and Health, University of Wyoming, USA
J Phys Act Health 6:444-55. 2009..Less than half of U.S. adults engage in the recommended amount of physical activity (PA). Internet-delivered PA programs increase short-term PA but long-term adherence is largely equivocal...
- Validation of Walk Score for estimating access to walkable amenitiesLucas J Carr
Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, The Miriam Hospital, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Br J Sports Med 45:1144-8. 2011....
- Walk score™ as a global estimate of neighborhood walkabilityLucas J Carr
Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, The Miriam Hospital, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Am J Prev Med 39:460-3. 2010..It has not yet been determined whether Walk Score relates to other critical components of the physical activity environment, including street connectivity, access to public transit, residential density, and crime...
- Feasibility of a portable pedal exercise machine for reducing sedentary time in the workplaceLucas J Carr
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Br J Sports Med 46:430-5. 2012..Sedentary time is independently associated with an increased risk of metabolic disease. Worksite interventions designed to decrease sedentary time may serve to improve employee health...
- Accuracy of intensity and inclinometer output of three activity monitors for identification of sedentary behavior and light-intensity activityLucas J Carr
Activity Promotion Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Obes 2012:460271. 2012..Conclusions. Our findings suggest that all three monitors accurately measure most sedentary and light-intensity activities although choice of monitors should be based on study-specific needs...
- Randomized controlled trial testing an internet physical activity intervention for sedentary adultsLucas J Carr
Department of Kinesiology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Health Psychol 32:328-36. 2013..We used formative research to enhance a previously demonstrated program (Step into Motion) with the goal of developing an Internet program poised for dissemination...
- Total Worker Health Intervention Increases Activity of Sedentary WorkersLucas J Carr
Department of Health and Human Physiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 50:9-17. 2016..This study tested an integrated intervention on occupational sedentary/physical activity behaviors, cardiometabolic disease biomarkers, musculoskeletal discomfort, and work productivity...
- Cross-sectional Examination of Long-term Access to Sit-Stand Desks in a Professional Office SettingLucas J Carr
Behavioral Medicine Laboratory, Department of Health and Human Physiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 50:96-100. 2016..The present study compared occupational sedentary/physical activity behaviors and cardiometabolic biomarkers among employees with long-term access to traditional sitting and sit-stand desks...
- Search query data to monitor interest in behavior change: application for public healthLucas J Carr
Department of Health and Human Physiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e48158. 2012..Such efforts could be aided by the use of publicly available, real-time search query data that illustrate times and locations of high and low public interest in behaviors related to preventable causes of death...