Ray A Caldwell
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- In vivo airway surface liquid Cl- analysis with solid-state electrodesRay A Caldwell
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Gen Physiol 119:3-14. 2002..3 +/- 7.1 mM, n = 5) and monkey (128.5 +/- 6.8 mM, n = 3). The measured [Cl-], in excess of 100 mM throughout all airway regions tested in multiple species, is consistent with the isotonic volume hypothesis to describe ASL physiology...
- Serine protease activation of near-silent epithelial Na+ channelsRay A Caldwell
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, CB 7248, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7248, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286:C190-4. 2004..Modulation of ENaC Po by endogenous epithelial serine proteases is a potentially important regulator of epithelial Na+ transport, distinct from the regulation achieved by hormone-induced plasma membrane insertion of channels...
- Neutrophil elastase activates near-silent epithelial Na+ channels and increases airway epithelial Na+ transportRay A Caldwell
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7248, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288:L813-9. 2005..The hNE-induced increase of near-silent ENaC activity in CF airways could contribute to Na(+) hyperabsorption, reduced airway surface liquid height, and dehydrated mucus culminating in inefficient mucociliary clearance...
- Increased folding and channel activity of a rare cystic fibrosis mutant with CFTR modulatorsRay A Caldwell
Dept of Cell and Developmental Biology, Univ of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 301:L346-52. 2011..These data suggest that CF patients with rare mutations that cause CFTR misfolding, such as CFTRV232D, may benefit from treatment with folding correctors and channel potentiators in development to restore CFTRΔF508 function...
- Pharmacological properties of N-(3,5-diamino-6-chloropyrazine-2-carbonyl)-N'-4-[4-(2,3-dihydroxypropoxy)phenyl]butyl-guanidine methanesulfonate (552-02), a novel epithelial sodium channel blocker with potential clinical efficacy for cystic fibrosis lung dAndrew J Hirsh
Parion Sciences Inc, 2525 Meridian Pkwy, Suite 260, Durham, NC 27713, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:77-88. 2008..In summary, the preclinical data support the clinical use of 552-02 +/- hypertonic saline for CF lung disease...
- Serine-Protease Effects on the Epithelial Sodium ChannelRay Caldwell; Fiscal Year: 2006..Collectively, these components will be vital for him to emerge as an independent investigator [unreadable] [unreadable]..