David R Buys
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Nutritional risk and body mass index predict hospitalization, nursing home admissions, and mortality in community-dwelling older adults: results from the UAB Study of Aging with 8.5 years of follow-upDavid R Buys
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 69:1146-53. 2014..The aim of this study was to assess prospective associations of nutritional risk and BMI with all-cause, nonsurgical, and surgical hospitalization; nursing home admission; and mortality over 8.5 years...
- A state-level examination of the association between home and community-based services and rates of nursing home residency with special attention to nutrition programsDavid R Buys
Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 2041, USA
J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr 31:404-24. 2012..Further longitudinal work at the state and individual levels is warranted...
- Mealtime assistance for hospitalized older adults: a report on the SPOONS volunteer programDavid R Buys
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, T32 Trainee, Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 39:18-22. 2013..94 per encounter had the service been provided by a patient care technician and $26 per encounter had it been provided by an RN. This demonstration of the SPOONS program should be followed up with an evaluation of its effectiveness...
- Physical impairment is associated with nursing home admission for older adults in disadvantaged but not other neighborhoods: results from the UAB study of agingDavid R Buys
Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education, University of Alabama at Birmingham UAB, Birmingham, Alabama
Gerontologist 53:641-53. 2013..This study combines insights from Lawton's environmental press theory with the neighborhood disadvantage (ND) literature to examine the interaction of the neighborhood environment and individual characteristics on NHA...
- Does Participation in Home-Delivered Meals Programs Improve Outcomes for Older Adults? Results of a Systematic ReviewAnthony D Campbell
a Department of Sociology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr 34:124-67. 2015....
- Calorie restriction in overweight seniors: response of older adults to a dieting study: the CROSSROADS randomized controlled clinical trialMarilyn C Haas
a Division of Gerontology, Geriatrics, and Palliative Care, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr 33:376-400. 2014....
- Favorite foods of older adults living in the Black Belt Region of the United States. Influences of ethnicity, gender, and educationYongbin Yang
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham UAB, 1720 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 2041, USA
Appetite 63:18-23. 2013..Findings have implications for understanding health disparities that may be associated with diet and development of culturally-appropriate nutrition interventions...