Sandra A Black
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Diabetes, diversity, and disparity: what do we do with the evidence?Sandra A Black
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, The University of Maryland, 660 W Redwood Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Public Health 92:543-8. 2002....
- Depression predicts increased incidence of adverse health outcomes in older Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetesSandra A Black
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2822-8. 2003..To examine the separate and combined effects of depression and diabetes on the incidence of adverse health outcomes among older Mexican Americans...
- Cognitive and functional decline in adults aged 75 and olderSandra A Black
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1978-86. 2002....
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among older urban African Americans: individual and neighborhood associationsPriscilla T Ryder
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 100:1186-92. 2008..We describe CAM use among older African Americans in Baltimore, MD, examining associations among CAM and sociodemographic, health status, healthcare utilization and neighborhood factors...
- Lower extremity amputations in diabetic Mexican American elders: incidence, prevalence and correlatesMax E Otiniano
Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Diabetes Complications 17:59-65. 2003..Gender and disease history were associated with lower extremity amputations at baseline and follow-up. These variables may be useful in developing patient education and intervention programs...
- Prevalence of and risk factors for exertional chest pain in older Mexican AmericansKushang V Patel
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health and the Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Am J Public Health 93:433-5. 2003
- Predictors of decline in MMSE scores among older Mexican AmericansHa T Nguyen
Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 1153, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M181-5. 2002..The purpose of this analysis was to examine the association of sociodemographic variables and health-related conditions with 5-year declines in cognitive function among Mexican American elderly persons...
- Stress and depressive symptoms among Mexican American eldersDavid A Chiriboga
Department of Aging and Mental Health, Florida Mental Health Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 57:P559-68. 2002..Results identified a cluster of economic stressors and conditions that may play a critical role in the etiology of depressive symptoms in this minority population...
- Correlates of diabetic complications in Mexican-American eldersMax E Otiniano
Center on Aging, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0460, USA
Ethn Dis 12:252-8. 2002..Special attention should be given to sociodemographic and health-related factors influencing the health of older Mexican Americans. Identification of these factors will help physicians better control the disease to prevent complications...
- The infectious disease profile of Texas prison inmatesJacques Baillargeon
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78284 7802, USA
Prev Med 38:607-12. 2004..Scarce information, however, exists on the overall infectious disease profile of inmate populations. The present study examined the prevalence of major infectious diseases in one of the nation's largest prison populations...
- Cognitive impairment and mortality in older mexican americansHa T Nguyen
Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:178-83. 2003..To examine the extent to which cognitive status and decline in cognitive status predict mortality in older Mexican Americans...
- DIABETES AND DEPRESSION IN ELDERLY MEXICAN-AMERICANSSandra Black; Fiscal Year: 2001..These findings will also help to improve the health care of all older adults by enhancing our understanding of the risk factors for depression in the elderly. ..