K B Bjugstad
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Neural stem cells implanted into MPTP-treated monkeys increase the size of endogenous tyrosine hydroxylase-positive cells found in the striatum: a return to control measuresKimberly B Bjugstad
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Cell Transplant 14:183-92. 2005..We conclude that after MPTP treatment in the primate, hNSC prevent the MPTP-induced upregulation of TH+ cells in the caudate and putamen, indicating that hNSC may be beneficial to maintaining a normal striatal environment...
- Infant mice with glutaric acidaemia type I have increased vulnerability to 3-nitropropionic acid toxicityK B Bjugstad
Department Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 29:612-9. 2006..Increased sensitivity to 3NP early in life may model the developmental window for the striatal damage observed in human GA I...
- Biocompatibility of PEG-based hydrogels in primate brainK B Bjugstad
Department Pediatrics, University Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Cell Transplant 17:409-15. 2008....
- Human neural stem cells migrate along the nigrostriatal pathway in a primate model of Parkinson's diseaseKimberly B Bjugstad
Department of Pediatrics, Program in Neuroscience, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Exp Neurol 211:362-9. 2008..The property of neural stem cells to align themselves along a neural pathway rendered dysfunctional by a given disease is potentially a valuable clinical tool...
- Embryonic substantia nigra grafts in the mesencephalon send neurites to the host striatum in non-human primate after overexpression of GDNFD E Redmond
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Comp Neurol 515:31-40. 2009....
- Embryonic substantia nigra grafts show directional outgrowth to cografted striatal grafts and potential for pathway reconstruction in nonhuman primateJ R Sladek
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Cell Transplant 17:427-44. 2008..Further study will assess the degree to which this approach can be used to restore motor balance in the nonhuman primate following neural transplantation...
- AAV2-mediated gene transfer of GDNF to the striatum of MPTP monkeys enhances the survival and outgrowth of co-implanted fetal dopamine neuronsJ D Elsworth
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Exp Neurol 211:252-8. 2008..Thus, the addition of GDNF gene therapy to neural transplantation may be a useful strategy to improve treatment for Parkinson's disease...
- Biocompatibility of poly(ethylene glycol)-based hydrogels in the brain: an analysis of the glial response across space and timeK B Bjugstad
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 95:79-91. 2010....
- IGF-1 and bFGF reduce glutaric acid and 3-hydroxyglutaric acid toxicity in striatal culturesK B Bjugstad
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 24:631-47. 2001..Striatal neurons were rescued from death by bFGF and IGF-1 but not by glutamate antagonist, suggesting that toxicity in this embryonic system is not necessarily mediated by glutamate receptors...
- Behavioral improvement in a primate Parkinson's model is associated with multiple homeostatic effects of human neural stem cellsD Eugene Redmond
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12175-80. 2007..We propose that multiple modes of reciprocal interaction between exogenous hNSCs and the pathological host milieu underlie the functional improvement observed in this model of PD...
- Neural stem cells reduce hippocampal tau and reelin accumulation in aged Ts65Dn Down syndrome miceD S Kern
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, 12800 E 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Cell Transplant 20:371-9. 2011..Lastly, it is speculated that the unique abilities of NSC to migrate and express growth factors might be a contributing factor to reducing tau/reelin accumulation in aging DS and AD...
- Effects of perceived treatment on quality of life and medical outcomes in a double-blind placebo surgery trialCynthia McRae
College of Education, University of Denver, Denver, CO 80208, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:412-20. 2004..This portion of the study investigated the quality of life (QOL) of participants during the 1 year of double-blind follow-up...
- Intracerebroventricular infusions of gp120 inhibit weight gain and induce atrophy in the hippocampus and neostriatum without affecting cognitionKimberly B Bjugstad
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Ave, Denver, CO, USA
J NeuroAIDS 2:15-31. 2004..Thus, gp120 alone can cause ADC-related neuropathologic and weight changes, but gp120 alone was not sufficient to induce impairments in spatial learning and memory...
- Xenografts of MHC-deficient mouse embryonic mesencephalon improve behavioral recovery in hemiparkinsonian ratsLone M Veng
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver 80262, USA
Cell Transplant 11:5-16. 2002..Our results show that MHC class II-deficient xenografts survive transplantation for at least 6 weeks in the absence of immunosuppression, reduce rotational asymmetry, and provoke lesser immune reaction than wt grafts...
- Reconstruction of nigrostriatal pathway by photopolymerized neurotrophin...Kimberly Bjugstad; Fiscal Year: 2008..While we are using an animal model of PD to test this hypothesis, if successful, it could have implications for other neurodegenerative disorders, including Huntington's Disease or stroke. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..