Genomes and Genes
Diane K Birks
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Claudin 6 is a positive marker for atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Brain Pathol 20:140-50. 2010..IHC staining results closely matched the level of mRNA expression detected by microarray. CLDN6 may be a useful positive marker to help further identify AT/RTs for diagnostic and treatment purposes...
- Inhibition of EZH2 suppresses self-renewal and induces radiation sensitivity in atypical rhabdoid teratoid tumor cellsIrina Alimova
Department of Pediatrics and Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Neuro Oncol 15:149-60. 2013..ATRTs are characterized by absence of the chromatin remodeling protein SMARCB1. Given the role of EZH2 in regulating epigenetic changes, we investigated the role of EZH2 in ATRT...
- Pediatric rhabdoid tumors of kidney and brain show many differences in gene expression but share dysregulation of cell cycle and epigenetic effector genesDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80010, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 60:1095-102. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine genes and biological process dysregulated in common to both AT/RTs and KRTs...
- Inhibition of cyclin-dependent kinase 6 suppresses cell proliferation and enhances radiation sensitivity in medulloblastoma cellsSusan L Whiteway
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neurooncol 111:113-21. 2013..Our findings suggest that targeting CDK6 with small molecule inhibitors may prove beneficial in the treatment of medulloblastoma, especially when combined with radiation...
- Aurora kinase A as a rational target for therapy in glioblastomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 6:98-105. 2010..It was hypothesized that inhibition of a molecular target associated with poor outcome would impact glioblastoma cell proliferation...
- Increased immune gene expression and immune cell infiltration in high-grade astrocytoma distinguish long-term from short-term survivorsAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 189:1920-7. 2012..These data provide evidence of a prognostic anti-tumor adaptive immune response and rationale for future development of immunotherapy in HGA...
- High expression of BMP pathway genes distinguishes a subset of atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors associated with shorter survivalDiane K Birks
University of Colorado, Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Neurosurgery, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:1296-307. 2011..Our study indicates that molecular subgroups exist in AT/RTs and that molecular profiling of these comparatively rare tumors may be of diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value...
- Insulin-like growth factor 2 mRNA binding protein 3 expression is an independent prognostic factor in pediatric pilocytic and pilomyxoid astrocytomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:442-9. 2013..45; p = 0.016). High IMP3, as assessed by immunohistochemistry, has potential use as an additional predictor of poor prognosis in pediatric PA/PMAs and warrants evaluation in larger cohorts...
- Survey of MicroRNA expression in pediatric brain tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 56:211-6. 2011..The present study provides an initial survey of miRNA expression in pediatric central nervous system (CNS) malignancies including atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor, ependymoma, glioblastoma, medulloblastoma, and pilocytic astrocytoma...
- Immune gene and cell enrichment is associated with a good prognosis in ependymomaAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Mail Stop 8302, P O Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 183:7428-40. 2009....
- Pediatric brainstem gangliogliomas show overexpression of neuropeptide prepronociceptin (PNOC) by microarray and immunohistochemistryMichael H Chan
Department of Neuro Oncology, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 59:1173-9. 2012..A less favorable prognosis exists for brainstem GGs, despite their usually identical WHO grade I status. Few large clinical series, and limited biological information, exists on these tumors, especially gene expression...
- Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) inhibition suppresses cell growth and enhances radiation sensitivity in medulloblastoma cellsPeter S Harris
Department of Pediatrics and Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, USA
BMC Cancer 12:80. 2012..Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) is highly expressed in many cancers and regulates critical steps in mitotic progression. Recent studies suggest that targeting PLK1 with small molecule inhibitors is a promising approach to tumor therapy...
- Integrated genomic analysis identifies the mitotic checkpoint kinase WEE1 as a novel therapeutic target in medulloblastomaPeter S Harris
Department of Pediatrics and Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, Children s Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, 12800 E 19th Ave, Mail Stop 8302, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Mol Cancer 13:72. 2014..Medulloblastoma is the most common type of malignant brain tumor that afflicts children. Although recent advances in chemotherapy and radiation have improved outcomes, high-risk patients do poorly with significant morbidity...
- Epithelioid GBMs show a high percentage of BRAF V600E mutationBette Kay Kleinschmidt-DeMasters
Department of Pathology, The University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 37:685-98. 2013..BRAF V600E mutational analyses should be performed on E-GBMs, particularly in all pediatric and young-aged adults, given the potential for BRAF inhibitor therapy in this subset of GBM patients...
- Diffuse intrinsic pontine tumors: a study of primitive neuroectodermal tumors versus the more common diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomasAlexandra Sufit
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Colorado, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 10:81-8. 2012..This study presents 2 cases of diffuse pontine PNETs with molecular evidence that these are indeed PNETs, distinct from DIPGs, thus supporting biopsy of diffuse pontine tumors as a standard of care...
- Unique molecular characteristics of pediatric myxopapillary ependymomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Brain Pathol 20:560-70. 2010..Aberrant expression of HOXB13 suggests possible recapitulation of developmental pathways in MEPN tumorigenesis. PDGFR alpha may be a potential therapeutic target in recurrent MEPN...
- Interleukin-6/STAT3 Pathway Signaling Drives an Inflammatory Phenotype in Group A EpendymomaAndrea M Griesinger
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colorado
Cancer Immunol Res 3:1165-74. 2015..Effective design of Group A-targeted therapy for children with EPN may require reversal of this potentially immunosuppressive and protumor pathway...
- Histone deacetylase inhibition decreases proliferation and potentiates the effect of ionizing radiation in atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor cellsJeffrey A Knipstein
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Neuro Oncol 14:175-83. 2012..Our findings suggest that the addition of HDIs to ATRT therapy may prove to be beneficial, especially when administered in combination with current treatment modalities, such as radiation...
- Epithelioid versus rhabdoid glioblastomas are distinguished by monosomy 22 and immunohistochemical expression of INI-1 but not claudin 6Bette Kay Kleinschmidt-DeMasters
Department of Pathology, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:341-54. 2010..Thus, in the CNS, claudin-6 expression may be a good discriminator of atypical teratoid or rhabdoid tumors from other CNS rhabdoid or epithelioid neoplasms...
- Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor arising in a ganglioglioma: genetic characterizationB K Kleinschmidt-Demasters
Department of Pathology, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1894-901. 2011..Results suggest a postclonal modification in a subset of GG cells, with acquisition of INI-1 loss, confirming by biological methods what was previously suspected in rare reports of AT/RT evolving from other tumor types...
- Identification of targets for rational pharmacological therapy in childhood craniopharyngiomaJacob M Gump
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Acta Neuropathol Commun 3:30. 2015..Identification of an effective pharmacological therapy could drastically decrease morbidity and improve long term outcomes for children with ACP...
- Molecular sub-group-specific immunophenotypic changes are associated with outcome in recurrent posterior fossa ependymomaLindsey M Hoffman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, 12800 East 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Acta Neuropathol 127:731-45. 2014..Immunotherapeutic approaches may be warranted, particularly in Group A PF EPN...