Affiliation: University of Washington
- Systemic therapy for metastatic melanoma in 2012: dawn of a new eraShailender Bhatia
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 10:403-12. 2012..This article reviews both the current systemic treatment options for metastatic melanoma and promising investigational approaches...
- Temsirolimus in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: an overviewShailender Bhatia
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Adv Ther 26:55-67. 2009..The status of temsirolimus in the rapidly evolving therapeutic landscape of advanced RCC is also discussed...
- Inflammatory enteric neuropathy with severe constipation after ipilimumab treatment for melanoma: a case reportShailender Bhatia
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Immunother 32:203-5. 2009..We discuss the pathophysiology and suggest careful monitoring of patients for development of this complication from ipilimumab therapy...
- Treatment of metastatic melanoma: an overviewShailender Bhatia
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 23:488-96. 2009..In this article, we review the treatments for metastatic melanoma including promising investigational approaches...
- Clinical utility of a circulating tumor cell assay in Merkel cell carcinomaAstrid Blom
Department of Medicine Dermatology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
J Am Acad Dermatol 70:449-55. 2014..Quantitation of circulating tumor cells (CTCs) has utility in managing breast, colon, and prostate carcinomas...
- Phase II trial of sorafenib in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with metastatic uveal melanoma: SWOG S0512Shailender Bhatia
Medical Oncology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e48787. 2012..This phase II study was conducted by the SWOG cooperative group to evaluate the efficacy of sorafenib in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel (CP) in metastatic uveal melanoma...
- Emerging and mechanism-based therapies for recurrent or metastatic Merkel cell carcinomaNatalie J Miller
Departments of Medicine Dermatology, Pathology, University of Washington, 850 Republican Street, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 14:249-63. 2013..Due to their encouraging efficacy, low toxicity, and lack of immune suppression, these therapies may offer viable alternatives to traditional cytotoxic chemotherapy...
- Phase I study of recombinant interleukin-21 in patients with metastatic melanoma and renal cell carcinomaJohn A Thompson
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, 825 Eastlake Ave East, Mailstop G4 830, Seattle, WA 98109 1023, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2034-9. 2008....
- Regression of metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma following transfer of polyomavirus-specific T cells and therapies capable of re-inducing HLA class-IAude G Chapuis
Program in Immunology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center FHCRC, Seattle, WA, USA
Cancer Immunol Res 2:27-36. 2014..The combination of local and systemic immune stimulatory therapies was well-tolerated and may be a promising approach to overcome immune evasion in virus-driven cancers. ..
- Downregulation of MHC-I expression is prevalent but reversible in Merkel cell carcinomaKelly G Paulson
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Cancer Immunol Res 2:1071-9. 2014..This downregulation is reversible with any of several clinically available treatments that may thus promote the effectiveness of immune-stimulating therapies for MCC...
- Transferred melanoma-specific CD8+ T cells persist, mediate tumor regression, and acquire central memory phenotypeAude G Chapuis
Program in Immunology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:4592-7. 2012....
- Fast neutron radiotherapy for primary mucosal melanomas of the head and neckJay J Liao
University of Washington, Department of Radiation Oncology, Seattle, Washington
Head Neck 36:1162-7. 2014..Given their radioresistance, high linear energy transfer radiotherapy with neutrons may improve local control...
- Systemic immune suppression predicts diminished Merkel cell carcinoma-specific survival independent of stageKelly G Paulson
Division of Dermatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Invest Dermatol 133:642-6. 2013..It may be appropriate to follow these higher-risk individuals more closely, and, when clinically feasible, there may be a benefit of diminishing iatrogenic systemic immune suppression...
- Immunobiology of Merkel cell carcinoma: implications for immunotherapy of a polyomavirus-associated cancerShailender Bhatia
Departments of Medicine Medical Oncology, University of Washington, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, 98109, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 13:488-97. 2011..Here we review recent discoveries in MCC with a special focus on the pathogenic role of Merkel cell polyomavirus and the immunobiology of this virus-associated disease...